Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, it's the lack if styling. There's a saying about BMW sedans, "3 sausages, 3 sizes".
LOL! I've always thought this about the E46 3 series and the 5/7 series models that were made around that time. The generation after that diverged a bit (I'm biased though as an E60 5 series owner) and now the current generation 3/5/7 all look the same again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, it's the lack if styling. There's a saying about BMW sedans, "3 sausages, 3 sizes".
You think so? I thought that best applied to Audi. Same styling for the A4, A6, and A8.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,534 times
i like the styling on those older Jags. but my understanding is that the engines were unreliable. i always thought it would be cool to build up an older Jag with a later GM LS series engine and transmission.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i like the styling on those older Jags. but my understanding is that the engines were unreliable. i always thought it would be cool to build up an older Jag with a later GM LS series engine and transmission.
Many people transplant Chevrolet engines into Jaguars, but to me that defeats the purpose. Jaguar engines were silky smooth, and played a big part in defining the car's character. It would be like putting a Nissan Altima V6 into a classic '55 Chevrolet .

Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
You think so? I thought that best applied to Audi. Same styling for the A4, A6, and A8.
And the same as the Merc S, E, & C class sedans.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,534 times
Quote:
Many people transplant Chevrolet engines into Jaguars, but to me that defeats the purpose. Jaguar engines were silky smooth, and played a big part in defining the car's character. It would be like putting a Nissan Altima V6 into a classic '55 Chevrolet .
i take it you're unfamiliar with the Generation III (LS) small block engine.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I think the current XJ is simply gorgeous. If I had the money I would buy one over a comparable BMW/BMZ/Audi. This is coming from a 2007 5 series owner.
I agree completely. Which is why I have been tooling around in a 2012 XJL since March. I've had so much fun driving it that I took it on a cross-country trip from Las Vegas to Miami Beach in July.

Here is how to fall in love in 63 seconds:

This Is The 2012 Jaguar XJ - YouTube

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,593 times
60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s Jags? Yes

Since then, some of them and the latest ones, nope, don't like the styling at all. With regards to reliability the reputation isn't bad now and has been pretty good since the early 00s on the whole. Before that rust and electrics were the big killers of Jags, like most British Leyland cars of the time. The engineering on them (engines, gearboxes, suspension) was usually very good.

My Dad had an '83 XJ12 Daimler Sovereign 5.3.... That was lovely. I may have to have a look for one at some point but I think I may have enough cars for now. Well, until next week anyway.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:16 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Many people transplant Chevrolet engines into Jaguars... .
Do tell.
I'm gnashing my teeth about a 76 XJS 12 cylinder for $1k. I think low mileage...

Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
The problem wasn't the engines themselves. The main issue was the plastic timing chain tensioners that Jaguar put in the engines from 1998-2002 or so. The Jaguar V8 is an interference engine, so if these things went, they took your engine with them. The replacements are aluminum, so Jaguar knew that they were a problem, Even so, no recall was ever issued, and Jaguar left owners to deal with the problem. There were also some Jaguar engines that had cylinders lined with Nikasil. Although it was successful in racing engines, it was an unqualified disaster for Jaguar. Porsche has used Nikasil for years without issues, but Jaguar lost something in the translation. You can read more about it here.

I owned a 1999 XJ8. I bought it before I found out about the tensioner problem. Although my vehicle showed none of the signs of failing tensioners, mine were shot - so much so that starting the car again could have trashed my engine. The engines also have a ton of coolant hoses that run everywhere - some easy to get to, others buried underneath stuff that is a pain to remove. A leaking hose that I couldn't find led me to take the XJ8 off the road and to my independent mechanic. I had them look at the tensioners while the car was in. I paid about four grand to replace the tensioners, timing chains and other related stuff, plus every coolant hose that the thing had. This was after I had replaced the (once again, plastic) thermostat housing (which requires special tools to get out) and the coolant rail (also plastic). Someone at Jaguar apparently thought that the cooling system and the timing chain tensioners were good places to save weight.

About four months after I had the hoses and tensioners done, the transmission went. That was it for me.

If you want an XJ8, buy something from 2003 on and none of these issues will apply to you (except possibly the maze of coolant hoses). Although the transmission is sealed, it is important to replace the fluid at regular intervals (about every 75,000 - 100,000 miles). I recommend the early interval. My car had about 79,000 miles on it when the transmission died.

Last edited by orca17; 06-28-2018 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar