Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,524,686 times

Advertisements

What does it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 PM

560 posts, read 2,079,220 times
Probably not for 15-20+ years. The NFL is now tending to grant superbowls as a reward for building new stadiums or huge stadium upgrades. It's going to be a while before Jax needs to seriously upgrade, and even then the superbowl is granted several years ahead of time.

Throw in the fact that Jax still doesn't have the desired number of hotels, and there was a nasty cold snap in 2005, and that probably precludes Jax from being one of the standard "warm weather" locations.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:21 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,524,686 times
Superbowl is grant 5 years in advance, every city gets 5 seasons to prepare. So Jax needs more hotels? What else?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,128,718 times
Jacksonville did a good job hosting the Superbowl. Other than hotels, we really don't need much else to prepare for the SB

Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 AM

459 posts, read 1,419,154 times
i don't see them hosting it in jax ever again, IMO...

Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 AM

233 posts, read 767,541 times
I don't think Jacksonville will ever host a Superbowl again, and here's what I think why...

Jacksonville is not a "big-name" city. Nor is it a destination city. We're more of a "residential" city, in a sense. While other cities take chances and go all out, or think outside the box, we're more conservative, even before, even during the week of the Superbowl in 2005, and even after, with how we presented our fair city. We have the aura of the "good old boy" regime about the city, be that as it may, unattractive to outsiders, much less our strong religious (Southern Baptists included) influence over all things secular.

Just my two cents. (The views and opinions of this post are strictly those of the poster and do not reflect those of CD)

Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 AM

459 posts, read 1,419,154 times
those are pretty solid reasons, i agree...

Old 02-02-2009, 10:49 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,186,376 times
I guarantee it will be back here at some point if the Jaguars are still in town. If we invest on major renovations (or actually build a new stadium) years from now, then we will be rewarded with the Super Bowl. It is almost a lock, assuming the city continues to progress with its development of downtown (prior to the financial crisis). So...in about 10 years is possible...15-20 years more likely...IF the Jags are still around. Of course, we could be competing with European destinations by then, so who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Superbowl is grant 5 years in advance, every city gets 5 seasons to prepare. So Jax needs more hotels? What else?
You say it like it's a rule when it's not at all. Sometimes the owners vote 5 years in advance, sometimes much less. It all depends...currently we only know the hosts for the next three Super Bowls, and it's been pretty consistent lately. 2011 and 2012 were announced 3 and a half years ahead of time and I think the same will be done for 2013 in the coming months. 2010 was announced 4 and a half years in advance, but because things fell through in NY, Miami got the nod for next year's SB just a few months ago.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 PM

530 posts, read 1,462,527 times
Projectmaximus you make good points, but as others have suggest Jax is a regressive not progressive in thinking. Too conservative to host events like that and I wonder why bother when the leadership here is so a$$ backwards. Our leaders and many residents dont see downtown as a destination and we live here so why would a outsider. Our downtown is disfunctional at best, a lack of everything except the homeless. The potential is there but the leadership has never been there. As long as we keep getting further and further behind other cities our size or smaller we will continue to be last place in Florida. Some people maybe happy with that but I am not!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,186,376 times
yeah, it is sad how far we've slipped since the 40s (so I've heard).

But I'm of the belief that we will make progress eventually, even if we are the last guys to the party. I think at worst, our leaders will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into an era of sustainability and urban revitalization some day. Maybe that day will be soon, or maybe it'll be 20 years from now. But I think it'll have to happen eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville