Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:12 AM

44 posts, read 162,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
YES! They add more blow up stuff every year. We counted last year and got stuck near 100 when we couldn't see all of them in the backyard.
The house is on the corner of Donald Street and Park Street, in the Riverside Area. They have lots of Halloween Balloons as well.

Last edited by cat_herder; 11-23-2008 at 04:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
Two traditions in Riverside/Avondale: Christmas in Avondale, in late November/early December, where the shops on St. Johns Avenue stay open for people to sample their merchandise and there are sleigh rides and live performances, and the Luminarias on the third Sunday in December.
For those that don't live in the Riverside area of town, the annual
"Riverside-Avondale Luminary" display will take place Dec, 21, 2008, after dark in the Riverside-Avondale area of the Westside. Most of the homes and mansions in that area of town will have Luminary Candles on display along the streets. Several homes will be open so folks can go in a see the decorations inside as well.

One of the Churches on Riverside Ave (I don't know the name -but you can't miss it) will have a live Christmas nativity about 6:30-7pm, free cookies, Christmas concert and horse drawn hayrides. The cross street is Cherry Street. North Florida Bicycle Club will have a bike parade in the area for people to see the sights from their holiday-decorated bicycles. They are a sight to see as well. There is one house on Riverside Ave. with live music and chorus singers.

Many houses will be giving out free cider, cookies and candy canes to folks that are walking.

You can walk the area or drive your car. The streets will be crowded but take some hot chocolate and put on some Christmas music and enjoy the ride. Last year many of the sightseeing cars were decorated as well and giving out candy in the impromptu parade of cars waiting to travel down the streets to see the sights. The best streets are Riverside Ave. and St. Johns Ave. as the main thoroughfares in the area and the ones with the old fashioned Victorian Homes on them.

The Ortega Area of town generally has their Luminary Display on the same night as the Riverside area. Grand Ave (I believe) the main road through Ortega with lots of pretty mansions on the river.

Also try:
Jacksonville Magazine Online (http://www.jacksonvillemag.com/events.php?sortby=misc - broken link)
from their web site

Winter Wonderland
11/21/2008 until 01/04/2009. Not only will visitors be “walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland,” they’ll be skatin’ on an ice rink, ridin’ in a sleigh, slippin’ on a 100-foot ice slide, listenin’ to live music, and eatin’ s'mores. November 21-January 4, Monday-Friday, 6-10 PM, and Saturday-Sunday, 11 AM-11 PM, St. Augustine Amphitheatre, Hwy. A1A S., St. Augustine, free, fees for skating and sleigh ride

Festival of Trees
11/24/2008 until 01/07/2009. The Junior League of Jacksonville’s annual event has become a holiday tradition in Northeast Florida with nearly seven weeks of family-friendly events like Children’s Story Time, as well as the Night of Lights gala. November 24-January 7, Main Library, 303 N. Laura St.,

First Coast Winter Lights.
11/25/2008 until 01/01/2009. Tens of thousands of lights illuminate this drive-through holiday light display. The event also features music and activities for the whole family. November 25-January 1, Reynolds Park Yacht Center, 1063 Bulkhead Rd., Green Cove Springs, free (838-5530).
Christmas Made in the South11/28/2008 until 11/30/2008. Please tell me Santa won’t be wearing a Dale Earnhardt Jr. hat. November 28-30, Prime Osborn Convention Center,

Tree Lighting Ceremony11/28/2008. If the tradition continues, the mayor will flip the switch lighting the city’s 50-foot holiday tree while at least one person in the audience makes an in appropriate elf joke at this annual tree lighting ceremony. November 28, 7 PM, Jacksonville Landing, free

Nutcracker Tour of Homes11/28/2008 until 12/07/2008. Model homes decorated in themes inspired by The Nutcracker are the focus of this free holiday event. November 28-December 7, noon-4 PM, Neighborhoods of World Golf Village, St. Augustine,

Tree Lighting Ceremony
11/28/2008. If the tradition continues, the mayor will flip the switch lighting the city’s 50-foot holiday tree while at least one person in the audience makes an inappropriate elf joke at this annual ceremony. November 28, 7 PM, Jacksonville Landing, free

Jacksonville Light Parade
11/29/2008. You may have finished off the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, but the holiday fun isn't over yet. End the Thanksgiving weekend with a bang, as you witness the area's largest lighted boat parade. Also featuring the Holiday Fireworks Spectacular. November 29, 7 PM, Downtown Riverfront.

Gingerbread House Extravaganza
11/29/2008 until 12/23/2008. Hey, competitors, before you go getting all upset that your gingerbread creation didn’t win an award at this year’s event, just remember: That’s how the cookie crumbles. The event, which depicts Jacksonville landmarks and holiday scenes made of gingerbread, raises funds for the Ronald McDonald House, Habitat for Humanity of Jacksonville and other local charities. November 29-December 23, Wednesday-Saturday, 11 AM-5 PM, Jacksonville Historical Society, 317 A. Philip Randolph Blvd.,

Christmas in Avondale
12/05/2008. Just so you know, hipster Riverside kids, you’re not going to find any PBR tall boys at this popular street party on St. Johns Avenue. You will, however, spot dogs wearing reindeer antlers and holiday-themed kerchiefs, and adorable babies in strollers that cost more than your cars. December 5, 6-10 PM, Shoppes of Avondale, St. Johns Avenue,

Mandarin Winter Celebration
12/06/2008. Sponsored by the Mandarin Museum & Historical Society, this annual event includes music, hayrides, games, crafts, train rides and visits with Santa. What, no readings from the 1875 Farmers’ Almanac? December 6, 11 AM-4 PM, Walter Jones Historical Park, 11964 Mandarin Rd.,

Holiday Magic
12/06/2008. Hosted by the San Marco Merchants Association, San Marco Square’s annual holiday event will have appearance by Santa and Mrs. Claus, strolling carolers, dancers, carriage rides, handbell performances and celebrity readers. I’ve already asked Santa for a recitation of A Charlie Brown Christmas by Ken Amaro. December 6, 4-10 PM, San Marco Square, Atlantic and San Marco boulevards, free

Riverside Avondale Luminaria
12/21/2008. Riverside Avondale Preservation says that there are more than 40,000 luminaries that line the streets of the historic district. They must have hired the same people who counted the two million lights for St. Augustine’s Nights of Lights. December 21, dusk, Riverside Avondale historic district,

Also the newspaper over the Thanksgiving weekend should list lots more things to do in and around Jacksonville.

Also search "Christmas Jacksonville" on Google, which is how I just found this forum.

Dianne

Old 11-23-2008, 05:02 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Thanks cat_herder for all the info!

One adjustment to the list - the First Coast Winter Lights in Green Cove is a no-go this year (decision was made after many publications included it in their calendars).

Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Thanks cat_herder for all the info!

One adjustment to the list - the First Coast Winter Lights in Green Cove is a no-go this year (decision was made after many publications included it in their calendars).

I'm not really surprised. Two years we went down during their
"Open every day from Thanksgiving to New Years" days to show my father-in-law and we couldn't find it. We ended up driving by it about 4-5 times and had to stop and ask the police, he pointed out the location and said it was closed that night, 7pm first week of December and it was closed.

Last year the hubby and I actually got there and saw it, I guess it was Ok, but pretty sad after the one we visited in Norfolk that was OMG over-the-top fantastic.

We are looking for new Christmasy things to do this year.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:46 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,640 times
Default Holiday Mail for Heroes

It's not a tradition....but...Here's a thought...when doing your Christmas cards this year, take one card and send it to this address. If everyone sends one card, think of how many cards these special people who have sacrificed so much would get.
Quote:
Holiday Mail for Heroes

From the front lines to the home front, the American Red Cross provides service members, their families and veterans with the care and assistance they need.

The Red Cross is partnering with Pitney Bowes this holiday season for the Holiday Mail for Heroes campaign. For the second year in a row, we’re collecting holiday cards to distribute to American service members, veterans and their families in the United States and around the world. Pitney Bowes is generously donating technology, resources and postage to make this holiday card program possible.

Our goal is to collect and distribute one million holiday cards to spread holiday cheer and facilitate thanks to these brave individuals and families.

Please send cards to this address, following the guidelines listed below:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456
American Red Cross

Last edited by jbm32206; 11-23-2008 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_herder View Post

Nutcracker Tour of Homes11/28/2008 until 12/07/2008. Model homes decorated in themes inspired by The Nutcracker are the focus of this free holiday event. November 28-December 7, noon-4 PM, Neighborhoods of World Golf Village, St. Augustine,

What about the official Nut Cracker is that at Florida Theater or Times Union Center?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,640 times
yes, next month

Old 11-23-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
What about the official Nut Cracker is that at Florida Theater or Times Union Center?

I don't know.

There are lots of things to do if you know how to find them. Like I said I pickup the Jax newspaper around Thanksgiving (I forget which day is best - Friday or Sunday). We tack it to the kitchen wall where we will see it and circle the things we want to do.

The Folio Paper has Christmas things listed in it. I search the web for Christmas things in the Jacksonville and Orlando areas then create a computer list of Holiday activities. We don't get to everything of course, but we try to get to as many as we can and I always look for something "new" each year. We are planning to attend the St. Lucia Festival in Sanford, Florida this year, since my husband's family is Swedish.

I can highly recommend the "Ice!" attraction at the Gaylord Palms Resort in Orlando. A whole ballroom is frozen at 9 degrees and artists from around the world come and create ice scultures and ice slides. There is a fee for that, they provide a heavy coat for everyone to wear as part of the fee. But the same hotel has several free things for the family to do as well: a Christmas musical show in the main lobby area, a gnome hunt (the hotel staff will help you if you ask), the hotel itself is beautiful with thousands of decorations **every where** - you stand still long enough they will put a decoration on you - lol, a holiday wreath competition, ice skating, they have a 4.5-acre glass-enclosed atrium with animals & a lake, etc. There is lots of walking involved but lots of places to sit too. We spent most of a day there then went back to our cheap little motel room down the road. LOL. I think there is a web camera for "Ice!"

We missed out on the Jax Ginngerbread houses last year but I plan to go early this year. One day I'm going to make one myself.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Last night we saw a "Calvin and Hobbs" snowman collection on Riverside Ave. near the corner of Talbot. I didn't have my camera with me so I have to go back this weekend. I have to know how they made the snowmen.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 PM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,319 times
Here's a GREAT Idea for the whole family to celebrate the true reason for the Season.
A church in Mandarin does "A walk to Bethlehem". They have 42 acres and the Journey to Bethlehem is a walk around their 6 acre lake, with stops at a variety of scenes, that are acted out, with a tour guide giving a narration and then singing carols all the way around. It takes about an hour ! And is Really cool, it's touching!! IT's FREE for all, and they have crafts for the kids to do, and roasting marshmallows by a campfire, and then they sell some food and snacks if you want for only 50cents.
Address is 6595 Columbia Park Ct. From Greenland Rd, you turn south on Fayal rd (between Philips Hwy and the 95 overpass), then turn left on Columbia Park, go thru the stop sign and right on Columbia Park Ct.
What a great Christmas tradition. Heres' the link: our lakeshore property

It's Sat and Sun Dec. 13-14th from 5:30-8:30pm both days. The tours leave every 15 minutes. Wear comfortable shoes and warm clothing

THis church also has a huge pumpkin patch during Halloween, with hayrides and a pirate trail, and bouncy things for the kids, etc. THey hold Day camps for young kids too. It's called Camp lakeshore. The church is Sheperd of the woods Lutheran Church and a new k-3 school!
MKGOlfer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville