Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,230 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from Alabama but I'm currently going to school at UNF. I have a question about my cars legality. I have insurance and everything is up to date but it isnt registered here in Florida nor do I have a Florida DL. I didnt think this was a problem until I was told that even though I'm not a Florida resident I still HAVE to get my car registered here and that I need a Florida DL since I'm driving around. Is this true? I mean after some research to get a car registered here you need insurance from here too and I dont want to pay for all that if I really dont have to. I rather park my car until I go back home. Can I get in trouble for this and if so does anyone have some advice on how to handle this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:03 AM

2,689 posts, read 4,013,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaRose View Post
Hi, I'm from Alabama but I'm currently going to school at UNF. I have a question about my cars legality. I have insurance and everything is up to date but it isnt registered here in Florida nor do I have a Florida DL. I didnt think this was a problem until I was told that even though I'm not a Florida resident I still HAVE to get my car registered here and that I need a Florida DL since I'm driving around. Is this true? I mean after some research to get a car registered here you need insurance from here too and I dont want to pay for all that if I really dont have to. I rather park my car until I go back home. Can I get in trouble for this and if so does anyone have some advice on how to handle this? Thanks.
theoretically you are in violation by not registering your car here, especially if you are here more than 183 days a year, I remember the rules specifically mention that if you are employed in FLA you must be a resident and that means having a fla d/l and car registration but there might be special rules for non resident students like you, I would contact the motor vehicle agency for clarification of the rules.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,083,052 times
I found this on a Florida state website. Although it's a retirement site, this info is applicable to college students.
Retirement and Relocation (Destination Florida) - Florida Department of Elder Affairs (http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/english/retire.html - broken link)

"7. Driver's License: To operate a motor vehicle in the state, new residents are required to obtain a Florida driver's license within 30 days of accepting gainful employment, entering children in public schools, registering to vote, or filing for homestead exemption. Full-time nonresident students are exempt from this requirement.

8. Motor Vehicle Registration: To operate a motor vehicle on roads in the state, new residents are required to register their motor vehicles within 10 days of accepting gainful employment, entering children in public schools, registering to vote, or filing for the homestead exemption. Full-time nonresident college students are exempt from this requirement."

Old 03-18-2008, 05:37 AM

236 posts, read 1,089,875 times
Good find, mawipafl! I thought that was right, but I couldn't find it in print.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I found this on a Florida state website. Although it's a retirement site, this info is applicable to college students.
Retirement and Relocation (Destination Florida) - Florida Department of Elder Affairs (http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/english/retire.html - broken link)

"7. Driver's License: To operate a motor vehicle in the state, new residents are required to obtain a Florida driver's license within 30 days of accepting gainful employment, entering children in public schools, registering to vote, or filing for homestead exemption. Full-time nonresident students are exempt from this requirement.

8. Motor Vehicle Registration: To operate a motor vehicle on roads in the state, new residents are required to register their motor vehicles within 10 days of accepting gainful employment, entering children in public schools, registering to vote, or filing for the homestead exemption. Full-time nonresident college students are exempt from this requirement."
According to the bold parts I guess I'm exempt. Thanks for the responces. It struck up quite a debate here at my uncles house. Group 1 was saying that if I'm here for a long period of time (months) then my car and I basically need to become Floridians. Group 2 was saying as long as my Alabama DL, regristration and insurance are up to date then the cops here wont be concerned about it especially since I'm only here for school. My uncle (part of group 2) who loves to share his wisdom was saying as long as I avoid traffic violations and accidents this will never become an issue. The state just wants to keep track of and tax any vehicle thats on the roads here.

Well, the good part is it seems I dont have to spend any uneccessary money and the most the cops will do is ask me to get temporary plates. The bad part is I kinda wanted to get a part time job while I was here too. This of course struck up another debate (my family loves to debate) where one side was saying that if I get a job here then I need to be a Floridian and the other side was saying not true because there are countless people who work here but dont live here. I think I'll just forget about the part timer and start driving my uncles car around when I go out just to be safe. He doesnt go nowhere anyway. He just sits around and watches sports.

Thanks again for the responces guys. I'm still not too sure about this whole thing so if anyone else has more information other than what "mawipafl" posted then please enlighten me.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,013,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaRose View Post
According to the bold parts I guess I'm exempt. Thanks for the responces. It struck up quite a debate here at my uncles house. Group 1 was saying that if I'm here for a long period of time (months) then my car and I basically need to become Floridians. Group 2 was saying as long as my Alabama DL, regristration and insurance are up to date then the cops here wont be concerned about it especially since I'm only here for school. My uncle (part of group 2) who loves to share his wisdom was saying as long as I avoid traffic violations and accidents this will never become an issue. The state just wants to keep track of and tax any vehicle thats on the roads here.

Well, the good part is it seems I dont have to spend any uneccessary money and the most the cops will do is ask me to get temporary plates. The bad part is I kinda wanted to get a part time job while I was here too. This of course struck up another debate (my family loves to debate) where one side was saying that if I get a job here then I need to be a Floridian and the other side was saying not true because there are countless people who work here but dont live here. I think I'll just forget about the part timer and start driving my uncles car around when I go out just to be safe. He doesnt go nowhere anyway. He just sits around and watches sports.

Thanks again for the responces guys. I'm still not too sure about this whole thing so if anyone else has more information other than what "mawipafl" posted then please enlighten me.
Like I said earlier, if you want a definative answer you need to go to a motor vehicle agency and get the rule in hand, then no cop can ask you to do anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville