Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 41,600 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Jax from South Florida and are finding the water/irrigation situation a bit confusing. Our first water bill was quite high (about 3x what it was in S. Fla.) and we are told it is because the irrigation rates are so high here and that they drive the water rates up significantly if metered together.

We have been given two suggestions: (1) have a separate irrigation meter installed by JEA, or (2) have a well installed for lawn irrigation.

I'm wondering... (a) how much would having a separate meter actually reduce our monthly costs, and (b) would having a well installed mean that we have no irrigation expense at all each month and is this an easy thing to do? Forgive me if I seem ignorant about all this - I am!

Those of you who are from here, please provide suggestions or feedback on what you would do in our situation. FYI - We just purchased a new spec home from a builder in Julington Creek Plantation so this is where I would need the irrigation meter and/or well installed.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
jorken
the high part of the bill is the sewer to take away the water you use. The water meter doesn't know if you use it for irrigation or for household use.
Your water usage will differ depending on the time of year. one thing I would do is call and ask if you can get the last 12 months usage.

Watering only twice a week will help.

We put a well in when we had this house built the only thing we pay is for the electric to run the well pump. The water section of our bill is never more that $39 and I still use the
house water" to water some things.
The price of putting in a separate irrigation meter has gone up a lot, there is also the fee for the extra meter each month along with the water usage.
You need to run the numbers comparing all 3.
I know I am saving close to $100 a month sometimes more in the summer than my friend up the street they don;t have a separate meter or well.
Also check with your HOA to make sure a well is allowed.
If you are going to consider a well you need to make sure the company is a good one. This is not the time to go for the cheapest. If you decide to go with a well I can recommend a very good company.

hope this helps

karla

Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
Default Watch out for stains

While I agree that a well can save you big bucks on your water bill, you need to be aware of one thing. The runoff from the irrigation system, because of the heavy mineral content, can cause some ugly staining on your driveway and walkway. But you definitely save.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
good point cricket
I forgot about that
I have a filter tank hooked up to my well pump and have no stain issues. A lot will depend on the iron content of the water and how deep the well goes.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
While I agree that a well can save you big bucks on your water bill, you need to be aware of one thing. The runoff from the irrigation system, because of the heavy mineral content, can cause some ugly staining on your driveway and walkway. But you definitely save.
Very true, and this is one reason why it's generally no longer allowed in new communites (it's not allowed in mine) - the staining is hideous if the well is not dug deep enough .

Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
I moved up from S. Fl too where we used "city" water for irrigation and my bill was around $80 on a dry month, $35 on a rainy month. Here we have St Johns Water about the same $35-40 month but our irrigation is off community lakes. How much am I saving on a 1/3 a. lot?

We got those yucky rust stains on our brand new white vinyl fence and one side of the house where the sprinklers hit....I got a product called "rust aid" (home depot $10/gallon) and put it in a spray bottle and it comes off instantly! I haven't got any problem on the cement areas so I don't know if it'll work on it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville