Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,628,029 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

30 year old single male here. Currently contemplating move from New York City to Jacksonville. Completed computer science degree in 2003. Decided to go into teaching. Have been working as math instructor for past 7 years ($75K current salary).

Seeking career change to IT. Have a job lead in Jacksonville as software engineer ($55K starting salary). Hoping to gain 2-3 years experience and then move to larger city where I can make more money.

Do you think the move is worth it financially?

Is Jacksonville an enjoyable city for singles?

Any advice and/or input would be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 AM

107 posts, read 221,582 times
I have a similar situation as you do. Mid 30s single, however my job is relocating me to Jacksonville. From all accounts, cost of living is much lower than up north, and seems to have some good opps. for singles.

I will be visiting the city in 2 weeks prior to the move at the end of March, will keep the board updated.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan2012 View Post
I have a similar situation as you do. Mid 30s single, however my job is relocating me to Jacksonville. From all accounts, cost of living is much lower than up north, and seems to have some good opps. for singles.

I will be visiting the city in 2 weeks prior to the move at the end of March, will keep the board updated.

Awesome Jetsfan. I am in the middle of negotiations. Would love to hear about your experiences visiting Jacksonville. Please keep us posted.

By the way....what industry do you work in?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 AM

107 posts, read 221,582 times
I work in the financial services industry, and have a few college friends of mine who have made it to Jacksonville by way of military (either enlisted or spouses). From all accounts, they have enjoyed their stay, and many of them have purchased homes within the first 2 yrs down there. No one I know that has moved there has left.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,291,565 times
Jets fans are not welcome, however, as they have the stench of Tebow on them.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,887,676 times
I moved down with my family 2 years ago from just outside NYC. You need to think of these things regarding your questions:

-Jacksonville is NOT NYC. You're NOT going to have the variety of things to do and the nightlife you have in NYC. Just not here. However, there is a LOT to love about the area. TONS of great things to do outdoors and around/on water (whether it's fresh water or the ocean and other brackish areas). You won't run out of things to do if you like this kind of stuff.
-From what I can tell--keep in mind I'm married--there are plenty of singles around town. There are some places to go to hook up but, again, you're not going to find the kinds of places you may be used to in NYC.
-Cost of living is nothing compared to NYC. Not much else to say.
-You'll need a car to get around down here. Public transportation is a joke (at best).
Food choices are much different than NYC. You don't have the family-owned places like you have all over the NE down here. There are some, but, for the most part, it's chain restaurants. Not that they're bad but they aren't the same. Also no true diners and it's tough to find good pizza (although there are a couple of decent places).
-You won't be digging yourself out from snow.
-You won't spend a ton of money on parking.
-You'll have to get used to 6-8 months of perfect weather (70-80 degrees and sunny most days) interrupted by a few months of hot/humid weather.
-You won't have access to professional sporting events like you do up there.

I think that covers the main points.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I moved down with my family 2 years ago from just outside NYC. You need to think of these things regarding your questions:

-Jacksonville is NOT NYC. You're NOT going to have the variety of things to do and the nightlife you have in NYC. Just not here. However, there is a LOT to love about the area. TONS of great things to do outdoors and around/on water (whether it's fresh water or the ocean and other brackish areas). You won't run out of things to do if you like this kind of stuff.
-From what I can tell--keep in mind I'm married--there are plenty of singles around town. There are some places to go to hook up but, again, you're not going to find the kinds of places you may be used to in NYC.
-Cost of living is nothing compared to NYC. Not much else to say.
-You'll need a car to get around down here. Public transportation is a joke (at best).
Food choices are much different than NYC. You don't have the family-owned places like you have all over the NE down here. There are some, but, for the most part, it's chain restaurants. Not that they're bad but they aren't the same. Also no true diners and it's tough to find good pizza (although there are a couple of decent places).
-You won't be digging yourself out from snow.
-You won't spend a ton of money on parking.
-You'll have to get used to 6-8 months of perfect weather (70-80 degrees and sunny most days) interrupted by a few months of hot/humid weather.
-You won't have access to professional sporting events like you do up there.

I think that covers the main points.

Fantastic summary. I do like the fact that there is a small downtown area and a waterfront. Glad that you were upfront about the place being no NYC. Thanks again!!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM

448 posts, read 831,020 times
No place is NYC except for NYC. Anyone that has ever confused Jacksonville with NYC was soon thereafter committed.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,875 times
My father always said, "There's no place like New York City." He is right about that, but then again NY has a lot of people, and $$$$$$$$. Florida is very low key and cheap in most places, everything in life has a trade off.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,313,154 times
Take a look at Jacksonville Beach if you go. It has a younger population and might make your stay for a couple of years a lot more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville