Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 PM

40 posts, read 88,641 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I would greatly appreciate any input or personal reference for a moving company. We are planning our move late September, and prices are all over the place. So far we have gotten prices as low as $2000, and as high as $8000. We researched the $2000 company, and no good, extremely bad reviews. We know you get what you pay for, but who doesnt want to keep cost low. We are moving tbe entire contents of a 3 bedroom house. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,287,419 times
Wouldn't you need to contact NY movers since that's where you're coming from?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 AM

Yes absolutely, the question is directed to people who have moved from N.Y. or tri state area.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 AM

199 posts, read 469,522 times
We moved a 3 bedroom with some extras from the Albany NY area to Jax. I got quotes from two national moving companies, United and Arpin. One came in at around $6000 and the other around $7400. Both of those did not include insurance. It really comes down to weight. These are just quotes, you get the real price when they weigh the trailer.

I also got a price from Pods of up around $9000 for 3 units.

We ended up using the ABF Upack service. They drop a 26' trailer and you load it yourself. The same happens on the other end. It was about $2500. If you need extra hands, they work with Movingstaffers to provide the "movers" for an extra charge.

Two things to note about ABF. Get the guaranteed delivery. Our trailer got stuck in Atlanta and I had to make a bunch of phone calls to get it dropped before my helpers left FL. Secondly, it is an over the road fright trailer, not a moving van. So it's much higher off the ground (they provide a sturdy ramp), and I don't think the suspension is as nice. Make sure you wrap everything well in blankets. We did one way rental on the blankets from U-haul. We had some minor damage from the vibration.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 AM

48,190 posts, read 22,030,335 times
The move from Maine to Florida was one of the most stressful experiences we have ever had. A nightmare of epic proportions. We used Nationwide Van Lines. They were not the low bidder.....we chose them because they seemed to specialize in East Coast moves and have headquarters in Florida and seemed responsive during the service calls pre contract. It went downhill from there.

We had to have a delay in delivery because we had to get to Florida and buy a house.....so all our stuff was put in storage in Massachusetts....when we bought our house and notified the company just shy of a month later ..... they threatened to charge for the next mos storage.....and couldn't promise delivery for another 30 days. We were stuck in a hotel and then in an empty house sleeping on the floor...When the truck finally made it here....it was a huge transcontinental moving van...and the gatehouse refused it entrance at the gate. We were able to rendezvous with the truck outside the community and lead it to the back entry and get it in right behind us as the gate opened for us (transponder activated).

That was for a 4 bedroom 2 story house and the cost was $7652......the actual movers were very helpful and did some of the packing.....they were polite and worked hard. The office was totally non sympathetic and non responsive. The actual service rep was super friendly on the phone.....but her assurances were unreliable and maddening. We paid a lot of money for a colllassal head ache. I will say that everything made it here in good condition and nothing broken or lost.

Beware moving companies.....they are among the least regulated industry in America and pirates of the highway...at least in my opinion. They have you at their mercy.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 AM

Thats what im trying to avoid. Good to hear some experiences before commiting. We are leaning towards Bekins. Thier price was somewhere in the middle, and are one of the bigger companies. We still wish we could shave $1000 off the move if we could.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
I facilitated moves for my clients and this company was SUPERB.

Coleman American Moving Services (Allied Movers/Moving Companies)

They did 20,000 lbs from Jax to Palm Springs for 15K. I saved her 3K by getting rid of stuff she didn't need to really TAKE. Like a giant wall unit.

It's all about the weight and if you're doing your own packing. NO you cannot reasonably move anything from NY for 2K.

I moved out of Jax 3 hours away to Vero Beach and it was $1500 and I got three estimates. Four years ago I paid $1200 to move TO Jax.

Just ASK them how to shave off the price. If it's weight, get rid of something. Sometimes you just can't do it they are packing up a truck with you AND other people and on a tight schedule so ASK.

Also you need an estimator to come and LOOK at your stuff if it's a big move before you get the real price.

Moving scams are legendary by no name companies. They'll show up and insist on using bubble wrap that wasn't in the estimate then boost your price on delivery when you GET THERE for a grand. THEN threaten to not unload you and hold your stuff hostage.

ALWAYS GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING IN ADVANCE and READ IT, and keep the carbon copy before letting them load up, and don't use some no name company on any move even Intrastate.

A scam company had my kid at age 20 load up, sign the contract, and never gave him the carbon and he didn't think about it. THEN they added $2000 to the signed copy before they arrived at the new house. They scared the crap out of him because they already knew his new address and were very nasty and intimidating.

Famous last words: "Three moves equals a fire". CUT BACK on your stuff you don't HAVE TO HAVE NOW. Mostly everyone I know regrets moving all their Northern stuff to Florida in bulk.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-31-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 AM

48,190 posts, read 22,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac911 View Post
Thats what im trying to avoid. Good to hear some experiences before commiting. We are leaning towards Bekins. Thier price was somewhere in the middle, and are one of the bigger companies. We still wish we could shave $1000 off the move if we could.
Give serious thought to what you move.....unless it is something you invested in and really love.....you might do better to sell it up there (lighten the load) and buy new down here. Florida styles are a little different than north eastern. (We have mostly Mission style oak furniture) We still like it...but might have enjoyed some more "southern woods and prints". Just a thought.

Have you settled on where you are going to live?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The move from Maine to Florida was one of the most stressful experiences we have ever had. A nightmare of epic proportions. We used Nationwide Van Lines. They were not the low bidder.....we chose them because they seemed to specialize in East Coast moves and have headquarters in Florida and seemed responsive during the service calls pre contract. It went downhill from there.

We had to have a delay in delivery because we had to get to Florida and buy a house.....so all our stuff was put in storage in Massachusetts....when we bought our house and notified the company just shy of a month later ..... they threatened to charge for the next mos storage.....and couldn't promise delivery for another 30 days. We were stuck in a hotel and then in an empty house sleeping on the floor...When the truck finally made it here....it was a huge transcontinental moving van...and the gatehouse refused it entrance at the gate. We were able to rendezvous with the truck outside the community and lead it to the back entry and get it in right behind us as the gate opened for us (transponder activated).

That was for a 4 bedroom 2 story house and the cost was $7652......the actual movers were very helpful and did some of the packing.....they were polite and worked hard. The office was totally non sympathetic and non responsive. The actual service rep was super friendly on the phone.....but her assurances were unreliable and maddening. We paid a lot of money for a colllassal head ache. I will say that everything made it here in good condition and nothing broken or lost.

Beware moving companies.....they are among the least regulated industry in America and pirates of the highway...at least in my opinion. They have you at their mercy.
Sorry but I don't see where most of this has anything to do with the moving company. Especially not getting in the gate. That's YOUR job.

Most people here repeatedly warn people of the risks of "rushing to buy a house" quickly when relocating.

Even STORAGE has a contract and they were probably enforcing one, that YOU signed. Just a guess. It sounds like you "just shy of a month" decided to "demand they quickly pack your stuff out of storage and hit the road quick" to avoid any further charges. It doesn't work that way.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,465,214 times
If you know anyone who can recommend a local mover - they can arrange a national move for you. They don't even have to be in your state.
I have a moving company that I've used for years within Florida and they helped orchestrate a move from WI to FL.
Without them, I have no doubt there would have been a nightmare with all the moving tricks/scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville