Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times

Advertisements

AirTran Magazine just published their Top 10 must-dos in Jacksonville.

The List Jacksonville - Features :: GO: AirTran Inflight Magazine

6 of the 10 are in the Downtown area (including it's surronding historic neighborhoods).

In the most spread out city in the US, more than half are within just 5 miles of eachother, some just blocks.

Heck, even just a few in one general area would be pretty special.

Lest we forget, just a few days ago the Tampa Bay Tribune reported that the same areas were the best places for dining.

Hmmm. These same areas that are repeatedly highlighted by local and national media must have something to them, eh?

Again - is there anywhere else in Jax worth living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
I like it

Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 PM

I wouldn't classify all of those as must dos, more like. Check out if you have time. I think a must do has to at least involve the River to some degree.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
plenty of other places worth living. They have these things called cars that you can use to transport yourself from your home to the places on that list. Unless you are going to have to show ID to get into those places proving you are a core resident.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM

219 posts, read 510,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I wouldn't classify all of those as must dos, more like. Check out if you have time. I think a must do has to at least involve the River to some degree.
I hear ya... I don't get these lists.

#1 on the list, see the Jaguars? There are 32 teams in the league, come see one of the lowest rated and least popular. Same goes for the bike tour... birthplace of Lynard Skynard? If you're coming to Jacksonville, go to the beach, take a boat on the river. Do the things that Jacksonville does better than whatever city you're coming from which is probably not an above average soul-food place (at least get some fresh Mayport shrimp on the list).

This looks more like a list for bored residents.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Very disappointing list.......however it is representative of Jacksonville by those looking in.

This truly shows how much Jacksonville is perceived to be lacking both ethnically and culturally.

The Landing is missing from the list (I would not put it on it) and that is the end all do all by many for downtown.....newly renovated Friendship Fountain, the River Walk, River Taxi, Skyline Resturant, take the Mayport Ferry to Singletons. Heugonaught Park (spelling), take in a Suns game for a great family experience that will not break the bank.

A couple of eclectic restaurants do not make a city, the trouble with all these lists are anyone with an Internet connection can become a blogger.......today's answer to journalist. The who, what, when, where and why's of reporting are gone.

FSU, on July 26, 2012 the Times Union went to press with the following report shown below.....Jacksonville and Indy are losing people to the suburbs......contrary to the rest of America.........I would say that certainly trumps news about a few restaurants downtown as reason to celebrate because it was slow news day in Tampa.

A segment of the piece in the Times Union

Cities rebound
There’s a resurgence of cities. For the first time in about a century, cities are growing faster than suburbs, according to new census data.

Twenty-seven of the 51 metropolitan areas with more than 1 million people surpassed their suburbs in population growth from 2010 to 2011.

Young people are moving to cities, and young people with the means are staying in rentals rather than purchasing homes in the suburbs.

Texas is the leader with eight of the 15 fastest growing cities on the list, reports Time magazine.

Atlanta, Charlotte and New Orleans, for instance, are showing strong growth in the cities.

Jacksonville and Indianapolis are two of the areas where suburbs are growing faster.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
FSU, on July 26, 2012 the Times Union went to press with the following report shown below.....Jacksonville and Indy are losing people to the suburbs......contrary to the rest of America.........I would say that certainly trumps news about a few restaurants downtown as reason to celebrate because it was slow news day in Tampa.

Cities rebound
There’s a resurgence of cities. For the first time in about a century, cities are growing faster than suburbs, according to new census data.

Twenty-seven of the 51 metropolitan areas with more than 1 million people surpassed their suburbs in population growth from 2010 to 2011.

Young people are moving to cities, and young people with the means are staying in rentals rather than purchasing homes in the suburbs.

Texas is the leader with eight of the 15 fastest growing cities on the list, reports Time magazine.

Atlanta, Charlotte and New Orleans, for instance, are showing strong growth in the cities.

Jacksonville and Indianapolis are two of the areas where suburbs are growing faster.

Yes, Jacksonville, as has been noted countless times, is behind the curve on this trend, transit, equality rights it seems, and host of other issues, mainly due to the good ole boy network that keeps the vested interests in power, thus ensuring with the way things have always have been done will continue to be done.

Also repeatedly noted, this is noticeably changing right before our eyes. Jax has a ways to catch up, but it realizes it has to and is turning in that direction. As evidenced by any number of things.

Note: By "suburbs", the story meant St. Johns County specifically. Not "suburbs", as in Riverside vs. Kernan Blvd, for example.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Cities rebound

Yes, Jacksonville, as has been noted countless times, is behind the curve on this trend, transit, equality rights it seems, and host of other issues, mainly due to the good ole boy network that keeps the vested interests in power, thus ensuring with the way things have always have been done will continue to be done.

Also repeatedly noted, this is noticeably changing right before our eyes. Jax has a ways to catch up, but it realizes it has to and is turning in that direction. As evidenced by any number of things.

Note: By "suburbs", the story meant St. Johns County specifically. Not "suburbs", as in Riverside vs. Kernan Blvd, for example.
I would like to think that downtown has leveled out finally in terms of it's downturn and is beginning it's upswing.

I look at properties like City Place condo's and other properties around downtown and can not help but feel there is tremendous opportunity for those willing to take a chance at these prices.

Boston is having a difficult time with housing downtown as the demand is outpacing the inventory. Even downtown Detroit is experiencing this...it is time for Jacksonville to make some radical changes. The new owner of the Jags has mentioned his interest in helping.

I love where we live on Amelia.....but I also would like the amenities of a true urban environment in my vicinity.

It is hard not to notice that Saint Johns County is becoming the suburban utopia drawing those away from Duval. Like it or not these self contained developments are keeping there homeowners from wanting to venture out from their developments with the exception of work and the beaches.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
they have something like that in Short Pump here in Richmond. I'm staying in an Aloft hotel which is in a big mixed use area. Tons of apartments, condos, and town homes in a mile radius with a whole foods, traders joes, a few chain resteraunts, and some independent bars/resteraunts. There is also fitness centers, dry cleaners, and other things. If I didn't have kids, I would look at a place like this (West Broad Village). The bars have been packed every night I've been here (Monday-last night). They also still haven't built out all the townhomes they are planning.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
I hear ya... I don't get these lists.

#1 on the list, see the Jaguars? There are 32 teams in the league, come see one of the lowest rated and least popular. Same goes for the bike tour... birthplace of Lynard Skynard? If you're coming to Jacksonville, go to the beach, take a boat on the river. Do the things that Jacksonville does better than whatever city you're coming from which is probably not an above average soul-food place (at least get some fresh Mayport shrimp on the list).

This looks more like a list for bored residents.
sports should never be a most do, hell not even the Yankees, Cowboys & Lakers are must dos. You have to choose something many other people DON'T have. Out of the top 50 cities in the states...I think one must find something unique to it. Like the Fort or Gator Farm or something. Sports & old neighborhoods are not worth visiting because every city has those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville