Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,613,035 times

Advertisements

Ron Paul wouldn't have the support of the left. And the right wouldn't be in a big hurry to back his ideas. He'd basically be a lame duck president from day one.

But none of that matters because Romney will get the nomination.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 PM

51 posts, read 44,679 times
The guy has delivered over 4000 babies. So you might be a bit out of touch with how others perceive him and what they are prepared to trust him with. I hope your judgement of strangers works better in your private life! Take care.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,613,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceInOurTime View Post
The guy has delivered over 4000 babies. So you might be a bit out of touch with how others perceive him and what they are prepared to trust him with. I hope your judgement of strangers works better in your private life! Take care.

Is your smug post directed at me?

I think Ron Paul is a fine man with lots of good ideas. But anyone who thinks he has even a remote chance of being elected President is completely out of touch with how politics work in this country.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times
RP's policies are nuttier than squirrel ****. You cannot just pull the plug on everything over night. If you do the entire system collapses and the door is left wide open for authoritarians and opportunists to step in taking away more freedoms than we can even imagine. We need somebody with a track record in government of takng things in the right direction. Romney will be in it for profit. RP will be laughed at, along with most of the other nobodys like Bachman. I'm voting Gingrich.

Never been to a caucus before, but it should be an educational experience. Hope I can pick the brains of a few Ron-atrons too!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,389,102 times
Quote:
I understand that it is free for anyone to register as a republican and vote in the primaries. But only about 5% of adult Iowans did that 2008. It's strange to me that people are so uninterested. There's so much at stake for you now (I'm not American): huge debts, huge deficits, debasement of the currency, civil rights being abolished, privacy invaded, central economic planning of everything, endless wars.

If I were American I'd crap myself and thank God that there's a candidate who understands the problems and suggests solutions! But how do people think about these things? Do they imagine that things are alright? Or that there's nothing one can do about it anyway?
It would take a moderate, jobs-focused candidate get to me register as a Republican (currently registered as an Independent) and vote in the 2012 caucus. I don't like any of them; too much time has been spent on social issues or "defeating Barack Obama" (one of Ron Paul's robocall options) rather than the real issue, the slow economic recovery. Find me a socially liberal candidate that is willing to pursue a moderate spending decrease AND a moderate tax increase (on all income levels) to tackle the deficit and I will vote for him/her.

More than likely I will be voting for Obama again.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
RP's policies are nuttier than squirrel ****. You cannot just pull the plug on everything over night. If you do the entire system collapses and the door is left wide open for authoritarians and opportunists to step in taking away more freedoms than we can even imagine. We need somebody with a track record in government of takng things in the right direction. Romney will be in it for profit. RP will be laughed at, along with most of the other nobodys like Bachman. I'm voting Gingrich.

Never been to a caucus before, but it should be an educational experience. Hope I can pick the brains of a few Ron-atrons too!
Definitely agree on Ron Paul. I respect him as a person, but his policies would be disastrous. You don't take a hatchet where a surgical scapal is required. Ron Paul is an idealist to the extreme; winding down federal agencies sounds great in theory until you realize how many jobs are tied to the federal government. Giving more authority to states sounds great until you realize how inefficient it becomes to do business when each state enacts varying levels of laws and regulations. He talks about the glory days before the Federal Reserve, but fails to mention the panics of the 1890's that predated the ability to stablize inflation or deflation with monetary policy.

We need to make government work, not bury it.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
In what way does Ron Paul give a bad impression, bad vibes?
If he does, he does. I'm just curious in what way. If it's possible to specify. Because to me he seems to be very reliable and honest. Humble and determined. Someone who's there with a message he himself believes in, not to put up a show. In the TV-debates he's definitely the guy who's different. Even a child who doesn't understand English would perceive that immediately, regardless of the stands in the issues.

It's funny how a person can come across very differently to different people!
Newsletters like these don't exactly lure Independents.

A president should act rationally and soberly in all situations. These are old newsletters and Ron Paul may have toned down in his elder years, but the fact that he has changed his story between 1995 and now about his knowledge of these newsletters concerns me.

The Story Behind Ron Paul's Racist Newsletters - Michael Brendan Dougherty - Politics - The Atlantic

Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
It would take a moderate, jobs-focused candidate get to me register as a Republican (currently registered as an Independent) and vote in the 2012 caucus.

FYI, in Iowa the Republican caucus is open to independents.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Is your smug post directed at me?
No, I refered to EllaTea who talked about her "impression" of him as a person.

Quote:
I think Ron Paul is a fine man with lots of good ideas. But anyone who thinks he has even a remote chance of being elected President is completely out of touch with how politics work in this country.
Why is that?
Why do you categorically refuse to argue against his stand points in the issues?

Why do you, instead of making any kind of argument at all, make an outrageous claim to predict the future? Are you a prophet who knows now what the future will be?

Who do you KNOW will be the next president? You claim to possess such knowledge, so please tell us all who it will be, not only who it will NOT be! You prophet...

Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
You cannot just pull the plug on everything over night.
Well NEWSFLASH FOR YOU! Because Ron Paul does NOT want to "plug on" everything overnight. He has a transition plan.

Is Gingrich nuts because he would have all US guns start firing at Iran the first second he becomes president, without having any military plan or strategy at all? And then after a few minutes when every soldier and every ship and every aircraft is out of ammo and out of fuel, then what to do??? Sounds completely crazy, right? So why do you assume that this is THE PLAN of Gingrich has to assault Iran? To thoughtlessly fire off everything immediately.

Well, of course his plan is different. And so is Ron Paul's plan.
Don't pretend to be an idiot, if you aren't!

Quote:
If you do the entire system collapses and the door is left wide open for authoritarians and opportunists to step in taking away more freedoms than we can even imagine.
The "system" is collapsing there and now, if you mind please! And lunatics like Gingrich do suggest totalitarianism in the shape of arresting judges who don't obey his orders.

Ron Paul is the ALTERNATIVE to collapse and totalitarianism!

Quote:
We need somebody with a track record in government of takng things in the right direction. Romney
Ron Paul has been elected to Congress many times. He knows about foreign policy and monetary policy. He has written books about it. A governer never dealt with anything of that. Romney is a great business leader. Because he's an opportunist. But a politician should definitely NOT be an opportunist! A politician must be principled. Romney is running in the wrong branch here, I feel sorry for him! We all need him doing good business instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa