Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,132 times

Advertisements

HI All -

I'm hunting for a really good art supply store in central IA. I'd really rather not have to drive into Des Moines. Is there one in the Grinnell, Pella or Ottumwa region?

I don't mean a hobby store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels - but some place with really nice inks and paints and acid-free paper and matte board and nice tools.

If there's a super nice one in Des Moines or Ames or IC, do tell me about them - I guess I'll drive for really good quality supplies!

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
The Art Store, 801 73rd St in Des Moines (technically Windsor Heights). It is right off of I-235, so easily assessible. Only heard through second-hand comments, that this is great store. (I'm not the artsy type.)

Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
The Art Store actually closed recently. I loved that place.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
HI All -

I'm hunting for a really good art supply store in central IA. I'd really rather not have to drive into Des Moines. Is there one in the Grinnell, Pella or Ottumwa region?

I don't mean a hobby store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels - but some place with really nice inks and paints and acid-free paper and matte board and nice tools.

If there's a super nice one in Des Moines or Ames or IC, do tell me about them - I guess I'll drive for really good quality supplies!

Thanks for your advice!
There's a Dick Blick on Clinton St. in Iowa City. There used to be one in West DM or Clive as well, but I don't think it's there any more.

Give Hobby Lobby some thought, too. There's one in Ames that has a really good selection of paper, inks, etc. Unless you're looking for something very specialized, they very likely may have what you need.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,132 times
I really am looking for an ART supply store - Hobby Lobby has lots of nice plastic flowers. I've been in the store in Ames.

I'm sorry the store mentioned in Des Moines closed, it was probably what I'm looking for.

Yes, I can find what I need via on-line vendors, but have had poor results with delivery - often delicate supplies arrive bent or torn.

Surely there's a good art store somewhere in the entire state of Iowa?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM

You might want to trying checking out this website for ideas:

artsceneiowa

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
The Art Store actually closed recently. I loved that place.
fyi...A friend told me handwritten sign on the door indcates they are re-opening June 6 (today).

Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 16,378 times
I am saddened to read about the ART Store in DM closing! I loved that place, when did it close? Is it temporary or forever? They had everything that I always needed. I cannot think of any other serious art stores. Dick Blick doesn't really count because they usually only dabble in student grade supplies. Try Cheap Joes online or Jerry's Artarama online. They have quality supplies at reduced prices. I love them. I live in a very rural part of IA and get to DM about once every two or three years, so I have used these online stores several times with great success.
April from Sharpsburg

Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,774 times
Sounds like it's closed for good now. Might've been a result of internet competition and choosing a spot for their relocated store that never took off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa