Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,265 times

Advertisements

I've never been in this situation before and need help. I work for a very large corporation in one of their stores. They are closing my store in a month, and relocating it to a new building. The opening date has not been established, but looks to be about 10 weeks out at minimum. I have been a full-time employee with this company for 10 years. I was assuming they would lay us off, and we would collect unemployment during that time, and bring us back in June.
My company has given me 2 options: Quit voluntarily and they will pay my unemployment and I would have to go through the new-hire process in June, which means I lose my tenure, (this option I highly doubt, my company is known for doing shady things), or #2, Travel to other stores in my area, (store #1 is 20 min away, store #2 is approx 30 min away, and store #3 is an hour away), all for "UP TO" 30 hrs per week between the stores, not just in one store. Now, there is a reason I don't work in these stores... I don't want to, and I am a student who does not have the time to be traveling all over to get UP TO 30 hrs. If I don't do anything, and the store closes, and I file for unemployment, my company really cannot fight it can they? I have no write ups, or any blemishes on my record, I don't see how they can force only those 2 options on me. The store is closing, which means I have no way to continue work, which I feel means " I cannot work here anymore and it's beyond my control". I have tried every local government agency to get my questions answered, but no such luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Personally, if I didn't want to work at one of the other stores I would just work up until the last day and make them let me go. Losing out on the tenure would be tough, but if you've been in retail 10 years you should be able to pick up something else.

I'm surprised that working through the shutdown period to get the new store set up isn't an option.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
I would travel myself and deal with it for the 10 weeks (which is nothing) and maintain my position/tenure, unless I didn't really need the money.

You won't get an unemployment answer until you go through the process.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,196,643 times
"If I don't do anything, and the store closes, and I file for unemployment, my company really cannot fight it can they? I have no write ups, or any blemishes on my record, I don't see how they can force only those 2 options on me."

Yes, they can fight it. They are offering you an option to stay employed ... I've been in a similiar position, but chose to stay.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,265 times
Thank you all for your responses. I would actually lose money by traveling, vs sitting on unemployment, and traveling with my school schedule would not be feasible. This location was very close to home and school so I could be at work from school in less than 10 minutes. These other locations would take me approximately 40 minutes to get to and from, from school, which would cut into my "up to 30 hrs" even more. I was hoping for a better outcome, but at this point, my loyalty to this company is becoming compromised, and I do not want to work and lose money in the process.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
It would be pretty easy to find another retail job with a 10 year work history. Yes, you lose your seniority but how much longer will you need that if you are in school? Apply elsewhere. If your company doesn't value your dedication, time to move on...

Old 02-20-2014, 03:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
If you quit, I wouldn't count on unemployment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa