Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
Most mutual funds have done worse than the index funds connected with the Dow Jones or S&P 500.
commodities and energy have performed much better, and will continue to do so over the next 5-8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
OK, add one percent for dividends.

I pick ten years because that figure is always stated by the financial industry as looking at the market in a long range perspective.

Regardless the stock market is not the big money making vehicle that people make it out to be. I think a nice 4.25% 5 year CD would be better.
The financial industry looks at the last 10 years of performance. However, they do not use it as a measure of future expected returns...which is what you are doing.

Are you familiar with the Capital Asset Pricing Model?

Basically, you are telling me that you expect the stockmarket to 2% in the future. If the markets felt the same way...then the prices would adjust to bring the expected return higher commensurate with the risk involved.

Out of curiosity, what sort of educational\professional background do you have in finance\investments\economics?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Not sure what the OP is trying to get at here except that maybe he doesn't have the stomach to deal w/fluctuations of the equity market?

If you have a long term horizon than these drops shouldn't affect how you allocate your AA (except for yearly rebalancing).

If they do, then you should trim down your equity portion..
They aren't talking about fluctuations but rather that thier *analysis* leads them to expect higher future returns from a CD paying 4.25% than from the stock market.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,797,147 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what sort of educational\professional background do you have in finance\investments\economics?
Hey Mathguy,
As long as we're asking these sorts of questions and you are teaching us how ignorant we really are, perhaps you could give us your background as well. I'd be curious to know your psychological and sociological justifications for treating people like imbeciles.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
....for treating people like imbeciles.
(psst. the person is a troll...see the other forum.)

I will try to continue to treat you fairly in the future.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,748 times
I think people are catching on that the market isn't what "they" say it is.

Seems like everyone...on tv, on yahoo finance, msn, cbs marketwatch....they all scream in unision...the market goes up 10% a year, stocks for the long term, etc.

Yet the facts are sort of ugly. Stock returns are highly variable. The "8-10% a year" claim is very misleading and irresponsible to put out, in a blanket, generic way.

It's actually rare for them to go up exactly 8 or 10% a year. And with the DOW or S&P, they can stay flat for 10 years or longer.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think people are catching on that the market isn't what "they" say it is.

Seems like everyone...on tv, on yahoo finance, msn, cbs marketwatch....they all scream in unision...the market goes up 10% a year, stocks for the long term, etc.

Yet the facts are sort of ugly. Stock returns are highly variable. The "8-10% a year" claim is very misleading and irresponsible to put out, in a blanket, generic way.

It's actually rare for them to go up exactly 8 or 10% a year. And with the DOW or S&P, they can stay flat for 10 years or longer.
People on those financial channels have a vested interest in the market doing well (ie CNBC is part of GE).

Its actually very simple. In 73-74 the dow lost 40-50% of its value I believe. Look at what happened in Oct of '87...1 day lost so much value...

However the smart people didn't panic and avoided the noise and the market came back like it always does...

If you have a plan and taylor your portfolio to your risk tolerance & buy/hold tax efficient mutual funds, you're on your way....

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They aren't talking about fluctuations but rather that thier *analysis* leads them to expect higher future returns from a CD paying 4.25% than from the stock market.
My crystal ball is too cloudy to predict whether the market short term will outperform CD's....no one knows...its just a guess....

And I could care less...actually

Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
People on those financial channels have a vested interest in the market doing well (ie CNBC is part of GE).

Its actually very simple. In 73-74 the dow lost 40-50% of its value I believe. Look at what happened in Oct of '87...1 day lost so much value...

However the smart people didn't panic and avoided the noise and the market came back like it always does...

If you have a plan and taylor your portfolio to your risk tolerance & buy/hold tax efficient mutual funds, you're on your way....
I'm suprised people still believe in the "8-10% a year" myth. Seems like eventually people would catch on and look at the actual data.

I've made more on ebay in the last 10 years, than I would have with stocks...the supposed "best investment" ever. Even with todays rally the market is where it was in january of '99. 9 and a half years of nothing.

I agree don't panic, and nows the time to buy, better buying low than high.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 AM

[quote=John23;4488987] Even with todays rally the market is where it was in january of '99. 9 and a half years of nothing.

QUOTE]

But isn't that why you hold equities for the LONG term? Look at the data set from 10 yrs before that......stocks did EXTREMELY well....

Sure, the past 10 yrs have been lousy for large caps, but if you're looking to hold for 5-10 years, this is the chance you take.

That's why its extremely risky to weight a portfolio heavily in equities for a short period of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing