Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I can't think of any species on this planet that completely stops it's quest for survival to ensure the weaker and more vulnerable are carried along as well.
Two things:

1. Most other species do things like forcible rape, eating of children, killing of sexual rivals, etc. Pointing to nature for moral direction is stupid.

2. We aren't stopping our quest for survival. We're actually doing the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 06:46 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,209,169 times
There are many youngish and middle aged people dying from this virus. It's not just old people and that's why we are so deep in this mess, because of ignorance from our leaders as well as the media early on.

Lock the whole F'in thing down for two months until May 31st and review where we are at that point.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:04 PM

545 posts, read 192,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This has been the most oft-repeated strawman in America over the last few weeks. No one is arguing we should do this forever or even for the entire year. It's been two weeks. Most experts have said we should plan on another month. Six weeks is not the entire year, and it's not forever.

My, how eager you are to let other humans die because they are old or have an underlying condition. Let me guess....you're not old, and you don't have an underlying condition? Must be a coincidence!
Well they just stated we are on lockdown until at least April 30th. We have to wait until the numbers come out in relation to the deaths, mental health issues, and divorces as a result of The Great Partial ShutDown.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 PM

834 posts, read 467,236 times
I understand now your premise and it is a valid observation. In that regard it might be better to know when, in the progress of one's illness, he passed away, and take into account the number roughly of those who either did not seek medical help or were turned away at their PCP office. And since the Journal of Science study states 6 out of 7 didn't seek medical help at the time of their study one could start there.
You may not like it but your likes and dislikes or my likes and dislikes won't matter in a few weeks. The fact is younger people with families and obligations have to work. And whether or not you want it to be, the young are who do most of the living. Us old f***ts are tolerated because of tradition and respect. Once people of younger ages get tired of staying home and can no longer pay their electric bill and their kids are getting hungry, all the rules in the world won't matter. I think people expect others to always play by the rules but having seen how people act in stressful situations I realize how close to anarchy we live. The only thing standing between our society and disaster is our fellow citizens' willingness to abide by the law (mostly).
And no, I don't mean species as in we are animals and you know it. I mean species as in a subset of all living things on this earth. Yes, we do support those in our midst who have mental and physical health problems but there is always a tipping point at which the burden becomes too great for the healthy majority. I don't pretend to know where that is but I suspect if and when we were to reach it a lot of us wouldn't like the outcome.
I know this is a hard time for us all and hope the best for you guys whether or not we agree here in our discussion.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:37 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious994 View Post
Well they just stated we are on lockdown until at least April 30th. We have to wait until the numbers come out in relation to the deaths, mental health issues, and divorces as a result of The Great Partial ShutDown.
Divorces? I think the opposite is more likely to happen. In difficult economic times, it makes more sense to stay as married than divorce:

* cost wise, cheaper to live in same house than live and pay rent/mortgage separately
* job wise, two people is better than 1 in chances of having jobs
* tax wise, married couples get more incentives than non-married

Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM

5,179 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Animal, vegetable, mineral.. I'm an animal. What are you?
A human being with a conscious mind. Read Edgar Allen Poe’s Thought of a Thought, it might help you get a clue.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A human being with a conscious mind. Read Edgar Allen Poe’s Thought of a Thought, it might help you get a clue.
I will have to pass. I don't believe 19th century writers are particularly knowledgable about human evolutionary theory.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:12 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
I'm sorry, Wittgenstein - I thought your original post was thoughtful and correct. And it still is. Despite the continuous reinforcement of the data and curves you posted - there remain a stubborn lot of deniers. I don't understand what that is about. I'll add this point:
The course of this virus - in asymptomatic carriers - seems to be a couple of weeks. Then it's gone. It's dead. They're not contagious anymore. By isolating ourselves now - as many people as can stand it - you are ultimately saving lives, weeks from now. You aren't "delaying" the spread - you are helping to STOP the spread. Assume you are a carrier. Assume everyone is. Now sit still for three weeks. Where's the bug? Not ALL gone - but a whole lot of it gone. No, it's not possible to lock everyone down - but if it were - and we did it already - would this be over? Of course not - unless you locked down everyone entering the country for two weeks, from here on out. That was never gonna work. We are doing what is reasonably practical AND hopefully effective. "Let it run free" is not an option. "Home at gunpoint" isn't either. You lose your retirement? Oh yeah - that's definitely an option. Accept it and move on.

People - use some sense here - a couple of weeks, then we re-evaluate. The number of reported positive cases - totally useless at this point, because we can't possibly run enough tests - per day - to keep up with the spread.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:49 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The course of this virus - in asymptomatic carriers - seems to be a couple of weeks. Then it's gone.
I did not know this.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:49 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,200,163 times
The virus, any virus needs a host to survive. The virus lives two weeks, without a host to move to, it dies...gone.

If the entire Country had been shut down completely, meaning no one coming into the Country and people staying indoors for a month, it would be gone. Doing things piecemeal doesn't work. What we have been doing is just prolonging the spread.

Without a vaccine, this virus will appear again. It would be impossible to stop all international travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing