Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 11:27 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,710,204 times

Advertisements

In a survey by the University of Chicago of over 40 leading economists, precisely zero of them support re-opening the economy now.

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/po...vid-19-crisis/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 12:30 PM

834 posts, read 467,236 times
First I did read your whole thread.
Economic health exists whether or not I am alive so I'm thinking either you didn't properly convey your thought here or you are wrong.
As far as the number of cases I'm assuming you are talking about confirmed cases? But the Journal of Science did a study for the National Instiutes of Health a few weeks ago with information that came from China concerning this and it estimated only 1 in 7 who had the virus even sought treatment. In this part of the U S allergy season is in full swing, people still get the flu, colds, etc. Your premise depends on confirmed cases only which I think might cause an error. People were griping a few days ago that their weren't even enough "test kits" to make any determinations. There is a Dr. Birx who is keeping track of some of this for the Feds and she stated a few days ago the rate of infection is probably 10 times greater then we know.
On another thread here on CD it was pointed out Italy's modern hospitals are mostly concentrated in a few areas, like 4 or 5 larger cities. It is no surprise then fewer hospitals and a larger elderly population percentage wise will make their numbers different than what we are experiencing here. Even here I have read people who might be suspected by their Dr. are being triaged for further testing if needed so one can see how relying strictly on "confirmed cases" might not be a rational or realistic source of information.
If someone who has looked at the numbers says "we haven't been hit as hard" then I can't see an argument against it till further proof is forthcoming. Whoever stated this is speaking past tense.
Really I don't think it is wise to compare one nation's response to a situation to another's. Different countries have different capabilities and philosophies about how to get through hard times.
As far as the economy there are a lot of people right now in our country who are going to be financially destroyed with this nationwide "lockdown". When one can stay at home and out of the public square, life's every day struggles become moe and more abstract to that person. On the granular level people who have worked and sweated 10, 12, 16 or more hours a day for years to make their way in this world could be set back years due to this "lockdown" phliosophy. To me this is the saddest part, that people's lives during their earning years are totally upended and many could have to start over.
Speaking as someone who is pretty old myself I think anyone who is concerned for their health should take precautions they think are necessary to avoid catching this virus and the rest of us need to be respectful to each other and practice what we were taught as children regarding proper hygiene and practices to keep from spreading illness no matter if it is now or in the future.
So in Texas today (03/29/2020) at noon: 25,483 tests, 2552 confirmed cases, 34 deaths. Mortality 1.3% If one goes under the assumption that many are not even seeking medical help the mortality rate declines even more. And from these numbers it appears that people could be causing the medical system to bog down out of a fear of this virus, which it seems is not nearly so deadly as we are led to believe, and filling Drs. offices with illnesses they might have taken care of on there own.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:25 PM

545 posts, read 192,604 times
Bottom line, we are going to KILL more people with The Great Shutdown than CoronaVirus would have everrrr killed if we did nothing but ignore it.

3 million unemployment claims. Let that sink in.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
So in Texas today (03/29/2020) at noon: 25,483 tests, 2552 confirmed cases, 34 deaths. Mortality 1.3% If one goes under the assumption that many are not even seeking medical help the mortality rate declines even more. And from these numbers it appears that people could be causing the medical system to bog down out of a fear of this virus, which it seems is not nearly so deadly as we are led to believe, and filling Drs. offices with illnesses they might have taken care of on there own.
Nice argument, BUT
We know a lot about the mortality of this disease from South Korea. SK is a very modern country with a strong medical system. They also did very extensive testing and got the disease under control. Even with the best of modern medicine, the death rate for those in their 70s was 6% and for those in their 80s increased to 12%. There is no reason to believe the death rate will be any less in the US.

We also hear a lot of statements designed to calm the panic. Supposedly many of those dying have "underlying" conditions. Guess what, almost all of us in our 70s or 80s have underlying conditions. The big issue appears to be the decline of our immune system as we age.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:55 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious994 View Post
Bottom line, we are going to KILL more people with The Great Shutdown than CoronaVirus would have everrrr killed if we did nothing but ignore it.

The number likely to die from this disease in the US might rival those numbers. Let that sink in. A 330 million population facing an unstoppable disease with a 1% mortality means potentially as many as 3.3 million deaths.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:58 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:

Do you realize what you just posted. Other countries that have had shutdowns, have slowed the spread

Old 03-29-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The number likely to die from this disease in the US might rival those numbers. Let that sink in. A 330 million population facing an unstoppable disease with a 1% mortality means potentially as many as 3.3 million deaths.
The people dying are mainly older people or those who are already sick. The reality is that you can't keep the economy shut down for nearly the entire year to try to "slow the spread". You are going to have to open up the economy at some point. Plus The Great Shutdown should really be called "The Great Partial Shutdown" because supermarkets look like a football game. Postal office lines are long. Lines at the gas stations are long and packed.

Doesn't make any sense. Let it spread and play out. Open up the economy.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Do you realize what you just posted. Other countries that have had shutdowns, have slowed the spread
We don't even have a real total shutdown. This entire thing has been poorly managed.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:08 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
We don't even have a real total shutdown. This entire thing has been poorly managed.
You are contradicting yourself. If it were up to you, nothing would have been shutdown.
Virus spread baby spread.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You are contradicting yourself. If it were up to you, nothing would have been shutdown.
Virus spread baby spread.
Correct. I would not have did the shutdown because in doing the shutdown, we KEPT essential businesses running like grocery stores and others. Grocery Stores look like a football game.

So either I would have NOT did the US version of a shutdown and just let it spread. OR, I would have did a complete military controlled HOUSE ARREST of the country for 30 - 60 days.

But ultimately, I would just let this spread and not do anything. I think corona has already ran through the US anyway because I was very sick in January (so was a lot of people in my area) and it was a "flu like" sickness that stuck around way longer than usual.

So here's my question to you. Do we do The Great Partial Shutdown until July or August and KILL more people than the Virus ever could? Or, do we face reality that the virus is going to do what it's going to do, so let's just let it DO IT and continue to work on a vaccine along with more efficient testing in the background?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing