Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,192,680 times

Advertisements

I just got an e-mail.. apparently it's a bad thing?

MSNBC reports drop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:55 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,522,458 times
Default later

Post again when it down 500 points. That's when things might get interesting.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,404,402 times
My bet-- it'll be there tomorrow. Recent winners and losers will both suffer as nervous investors bank some profits and cut some losses. I'm just trying to figure out if we'll quickly retest the lows and bounce back for the traditional holiday rally or if we're going to get coal in our stockings this year. I've been sitting on cash and looking for a good entry point to put some money back to work. What does everything else think about a year-end rally? (Of course, when it comes to next year, all bets are off...)

Old 11-01-2007, 03:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,522,458 times
Default gold nugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
My bet-- it'll be there tomorrow. Recent winners and losers will both suffer as nervous investors bank some profits and cut some losses. I'm just trying to figure out if we'll quickly retest the lows and bounce back for the traditional holiday rally or if we're going to get coal in our stockings this year. I've been sitting on cash and looking for a good entry point to put some money back to work. What does everything else think about a year-end rally? (Of course, when it comes to next year, all bets are off...)
I think we'll get a gold plated piece of gold for X-mas. I will look like a gold nugget on the outside but will be coal in the inside. Yes there probably be a rally for the end of the year and then by February the wheels will come off.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,904,879 times
Stocks go down and they go up... big whoop. It doesn't matter to me until it drops 2-3k points, then we have a problem. If it only drop 1-1.5k, I still don't think it matters.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I think we'll get a gold plated piece of gold for X-mas. I will look like a gold nugget on the outside but will be coal in the inside. Yes there probably be a rally for the end of the year and then by February the wheels will come off.
That's what I'm thinking, too. I thought we might roll right into it, but looks like we'll get one more buying opportunity. I don't look for much good news after the "January effect," but I'm hoping...

Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Stocks go down and they go up... big whoop. It doesn't matter to me until it drops 2-3k points, then we have a problem. If it only drop 1-1.5k, I still don't think it matters.
It only matters if you want to make money, not lose it. I know which side I want to be on.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,418,080 times
But in the same token you haven't lost any money until you cash it out, I plan to keep mine in there for a bit longer.

It's only on paper until it sells. That's what I keep telling myself.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM

I have never bought into that "on paper" philosophy, though it sounds good on paper.

The value of something is worth what it will bring at that point in time-- no guarantees it will go back up and it may go down more. Once something declines in value, you have a loss-- you just haven't realized it yet. I'm in that boat myself on a few stocks.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 AM

8,954 posts, read 11,825,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I have never bought into that "on paper" philosophy, though it sounds good on paper.

The value of something is worth what it will bring at that point in time-- no guarantees it will go back up and it may go down more. Once something declines in value, you have a loss-- you just haven't realized it yet. I'm in that boat myself on a few stocks.
You are right. Depending on the kind of companies and the price at which the stocks were bought, some will go back up eventually, but the majority won't. There is another loss known as opportunity cost. Take YHOO for example. You said bought it at the high two years ago. Looking at historical prices, I figure the price at which you bought should be around $42. Even if you can sell at a break-even point now, you still lose to inflation and lost opportunity. Instead of being tied up for two years, that money could have been used to invest in better stocks. That money taken of out YHOO at the first loss and put in RIMM two years ago would have resulted in a six-fold gain ($20-$120).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing