Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 PM

321 posts, read 535,458 times

Advertisements

Uncertain or certain events is making Dow Jones going like ding dong from up to 11k to 10k to 11K. For those guys who are in the financial ride, how's the feeling over these unpredictable zig zag zones?
Do you feel comfortable or having anxiety over these pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 04:22 PM

378 posts, read 709,648 times

Oh my!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 PM

In the Wiz of Oz, Scarecrow,Tinman, Lion lament to Dorothy who in quest to see the future that they respectively lack a brain, a heart, and courage.

In Biz of Wall Street, it just about the same.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 AM

21,309 posts, read 19,930,149 times
I feel comfortable. I don't plan on taking my money out for many years, by which time the economy will have recovered (probably after many more ups-and-downs). If I were planning to take my money out soon, I might be worried, but I also would have already transfered it to money market investments.

I'm actually sitting on a bunch of cash that I've been saving for a few years and wondering if now is a good time to buy.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Usually if you dont need the fund for 5 years period and invested in the stocks with good fundamnetals, dividend paying and potential growth and great management team, you cannot go wrong with it.

However the caveat here - if you were to invest in the Nikkei Index back in the 1990 where Japan economy was at its peak at 40,000, you are in for the nightmare where it did not recovered since the OCT 90 crash since then Today, it is at 8,000!!! The same goes for the infamous dot.com stocks with no profit model where it has gone dog gone without a trace after the melt down.

But this time the recession with stagflation in for a spin with the rest of the World markets from Dow Jones to FTSE, Hang Seng to Nikkie, Shanghai to Straits Times, where it hard to predict when it is bottom and when it is going to be bullish again. Collectively, the banking systems from America to EU are in trouble with food and gas costing more with jobs loss - now that is gonna to be the mum of all financial migrane where treatment is not just aspirin away.

Last edited by zinglicious; 09-12-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 12:38 PM

46 posts, read 53,569 times
My overall sentiment is bearish due to the economy and problems with the European financial system. This is a very sensitive market (i.e. volatile) so my positions aren't lasting more than a few days and absolutely never over the weekend except for a few names I've picked up for dividend reasons.

Financials will continue to take a beating unless there is major progress overseas and here on the jobs front. More specifically, when the uncertainty has subsided, we'll get a better picture of how the economy will recover. To give a specific example.. once we know the size of litigation against BAC, it'll certainly begin to recover. I wouldn't go long BAC now, but I would absolutely play the swings if your risking to gamble.. at least that's what I'm told investing is.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM

When I was investing, I just bought the tech stock and closed my eyes which I did following the advice of veteran investors. In fact, over the period of next few weeks or months, I bought again and again. The time when I look at the price - was when I decided to sell which is about 11/2 year later. From 1.70 to 0.70, I sold at 13.70.

With my stock profits (which I bought after the dot com bust), I geared up to the next level where my passion is - Bio Tech especially those companies in oncology as I ahave a keen personal interest in, apart from financial gain. But then, it was actually speculation as my eyes was on it almost from 10 to 4 each trading day. Each day, I was trading up, selling short or buying long determined with intra day news or developement of management or company or drugs press report. Luckily, when I noted the pattern of sales coupled up with the unoffiical report that the drug studies were flawed ( and where eventually FDA would canned the appproval due to safety or efficacy issues) , I sold the position , even at the minor loss. Luckily, as my position was on speculation, I sold on any unfavorable news - The stock from 15 dropped to 5 in a week, and eventually out of Nasdaq!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Despite Dow Jones has been going up the whole week, other foreign markets are not following the US lead. This is quite rare as whatever NYSE direction is going, usually the foreign market would follow suit unless it has internal financial crisis on its own soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing