Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
I am Talkin to you after 10 years ... Actually 11 years.
No, you're talking about a "gain" you just made. You're not talking about your annualized return over the last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Too bad some of you can't accept the fact that all Traders Do Not Fail, and BTW your talking to one of them ....
Statistically there should be some traders that succeed over many years by pure chance alone, nobody wants to attribute their success to chance but by the time they realize they aren't wearing any pants its too late.

Longer term "investors" can suffer from the same sorts of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i would love to day trade...nothing is better then outsmarting the markets . i occassionaly trade in and out of certain etf's when i could predict their trading range but eventually they bust out and i guess wrong.

its more for fun then serious dough.

short term anything you do in the markets is by chance. no one can predict whats next . truthfully i dont really care whats next ... i worry about 15 year time frames and thats how my bucket system is based. i plan on retiring at any point now we want and so we are already set up for that phase. our 3 buckets give us a 15 year window before we have to sell any equities and the odds of equities not being up over a 15 year time frame is pretty slim. its far easier for me to plan around the markets being up in 15 years then where we will be next month ,next year or even 10 years from now.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:21 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,304 times
[quote=user_id;17839215]

USER-ID states ...
No, you're talking about a "gain" you just made. You're not talking about your annualized return over the last 10 years.

I do not have the figures for 10 years annualized return on the tip of my tounge

But I can tell you this.

When I added trading to my Investing, and after approx 4/5 years of apprenticeship learning my own Personal System, my income jumped by leaps and bounds, and continues to do so today both in up and down markets.

There really is not much sense in me trying to give you some figures because you probably would not believe them anyway.

All I can say is My net worth has increased by roughly 20 times in the last 10 years.
Approx. 60% of that was thru trading, but not straight day trading.

One of my biggest problems has been The AMT tax and how it affects you and your Capital gains. It blew me away when I first got hit.

My CPA has had his hair turn grey over the last 10 years and I think partly because of it.

Fortunately now I use Tax Free & other deffered accts. for most all trades.

When I Retired several years back, one of my biggest concerns was whether I had enough money in my IRA accts. and knowing how I would not be able to contribute more because I would no longer have any qualifying earned income.

Well... Problem Solved.

I did Roth Coversions for approx. 6 years and then I grew the value of what I had in them to unbelievable amounts with out the earned income restrictions.

Because most of the Trad IRA monies were put into Roths, all the Monster growth Gains are now Tax Free.

Too Bad IRS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing