Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:04 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Mozilla Download

Where did you download Ff from that wasnt safe ? Make sure though, to back up your bookmarks, then delete the profile folder before installing the new download.

It was off of a BB...I don't visit too many besides this one. Can't recall off hand exactly where it was...but I think I have a pretty good idea.

It makes no difference at this point whether or not I back up anything seeing that my PC was completely wiped out a few days ago.
I make it a practice to back up photos always. My bookmarks are automatically saved.

I literally had to start over from the beginning and the version of FF that I had is no where to be found.

*On a side note*
It kills me though, I call hp and explain what's been going on with my pc.
The first guy was on the phone with me for a good hour and we "fixed" things...almost two weeks goes by and my PC is doing the same...I call this time, just a few days ago and the guy was on the phone with me for about 20mins and we do a few tests, and then he says "your hard drive is fried"...so, I'm thinking...OK, I'm totally not thrilled with that answer...he tells me I need to send the hard drive back to hp so they can send me a new one.

RED FLAG ALERT! ...I'm thinking as he is telling me this...what happens to my old hard drive and all the personal info on it if it is salvagable???
He tells me that someone from hp will try to "fix" it and put it back in a "refurbished" PC...so who's to say that the hard drive I currently have, that is supposedly "fried" was not "refurbished"???

I know Dell is in the practice of selling refurbished junk...I was very surprised to hear that hp also follows that practice. I'm still not convinced with what hp's answer was to me. I don't like the idea of sending back a hard drive that has personal info on it...I'm not usually a suspicious person but a close friend of mine became a victim of identity theft and her life has become a living nightmare and it started over her laptop being stolen.

Getting to where I currently am with my pc...my friend took a look at it and said the hard drive is NOT fried!...we did a few tweeks and pretty much started over from scratch. I would have had him do this all from day one...but trying to get a hold of him is close to impossible.

I digress....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
He tells me that someone from hp will try to "fix" it and put it back in a "refurbished" PC...so who's to say that the hard drive I currently have, that is supposedly "fried" was not "refurbished"???
IF you bought it new, all components are suppose to be new by definition.

Only way to be sure of that is to have a computer built for you by someone you trust. Or build it yourself. Liz

Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
IF you bought it new, all components are suppose to be new by definition.

Only way to be sure of that is to have a computer built for you by someone you trust. Or build it yourself. Liz

It's brand new windows vista...paid a pretty penny for it too.
I've only had it for a few months. It's still under the one yr warranty
that comes with it.

I'm beginning to wonder about the language they use to define something as "new".
How does a consumer really know what they're getting?
I suppose by your advice of having it built would be the only way.

Out of curiosity and since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about computers. Did you build your own PC?

Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity and since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about computers. Did you build your own PC?
My desktop, yes. My laptop, no...haven't mastered that one yet. Desktops are easy enough.

I'm still using XP, haven't gone to the "Dark Side" with Vista for the simple reason that some of my software will not work with Vista. I have an insulin pump and the NEWEST version of software (hasn't even been shipped to me yet) is not Vista compatible.

But it's easy enough to build one...the hard part is deciding on the components. My next desktop will be a quad core. Just don't know which motherboard yet. Don't have the money to start building that one. When I build one for me, I can sink close to $2-3K into one easy but I know what's in there. I also use multiple hard drives. I have a habit of putting the operating system on a fairly small hard drive...no bigger than an 80 gig. I then put HUGE back up drives in behind it, esp adding an external.

The reason for the fairly small O/S drive in proportion to the rest...I don't put my documents, my pictures or anything of value on that drive. Just programs. If you looked in the *My Documents* folder on my C drive, it's empty of anything of importance. I have a *My Documents* folder on my external and that is where everything goes. Same thing with the *My Pictures* folder.

I'm not a gamer, I use it for graphics...heavy duty graphics. And I know a Mac would be better for the graphics but I run into the same issue with the Mac that I do with Vista. That one program that is unusable if I switch. And it can't run inside a windows emulator on a Mac...it's picky.

But I am off on a tangent.

Try FF again but this time, download it from the Mozilla site. Liz

Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

Try Mozilla Thunderbird for an e mail program- its excellent.
Thanks for the tip converted to Thunderbird today and so far loving it - anything but Outlook.

And Firefox for quite a while - IE 7 is not bad except for its vulnerabilities...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
I'm a big fan of TB and use that at home and used it for years at work (including Mozilla suite that include browser and e-mail client). Earlier this summer, at work, they forced us to use Outlook for e-mail. I've been strongly disliking it ever since.

Of the many annoying things about Outlook, when long URLs are sent in either direction (from Outlook to TB or vice versa), it breaks up the URL into multiple lines. So one can't simply copy and paste the link. I never had that problem when sending links between my work and home e-mail address when I had TB in both locations.

They were also supposed to force us to use IE only, but so far they haven't uninstalled FF from my laptop. So God willing, I'll continue using that. At home, I can obviously use FF and TB to my heart's content.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Of the many annoying things about Outlook, when long URLs are sent in either direction (from Outlook to TB or vice versa), it breaks up the URL into multiple lines. So one can't simply copy and paste the link. I never had that problem when sending links between my work and home e-mail address when I had TB in both locations.
You can avoid that issue by using tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com/ - broken link). It's also an extension you can add to FF but it is a stand alone web page. I would still include the original url to let others know where they are going but that way, they can just plug in the short version. Liz

Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
You can avoid that issue by using tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com/ - broken link). It's also an extension you can add to FF but it is a stand alone web page. I would still include the original url to let others know where they are going but that way, they can just plug in the short version. Liz
Thanks, yes, I could use tinyurl. But many times I'm just forwarding links (often to myself from work to home or vice versa) and having to go to tinyurl would be another piece of inconvenience I'd have to do. For now, I just get the long link, copy and paste in Notepad, fix the URL, then copy and paste to a Firefox tab.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Well, I am back with FF. Can you sense my enthusiasm? lol...I'm kidding..anyway...
I'm getting the same errors I got last time...

Question: Why is it that when I come to BB's such as this one I get a yellow bar at the top stating Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page...OK, I get what that means... but when I go to click on the yellow bar to install missing plugins it brings up Adobe Flash Player and then every single time it says installation failed... ???
It gives me an option to do it manually...but I'd have no clue at this point how to do it correctly.

Any suggestions on what is up? Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Question: Why is it that when I come to BB's such as this one I get a yellow bar at the top stating Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page...OK, I get what that means... but when I go to click on the yellow bar to install missing plugins it brings up Adobe Flash Player and then every single time it says installation failed... ???
It gives me an option to do it manually...but I'd have no clue at this point how to do it correctly.
Do this first: Go to Tools>Options which opens a dialog box. Then on the Main tab, tell it to Always ask me where to save files (unless you want everything saved to your desktop by default).

Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and scroll down the list to plugins.

I always get these:
Adobe Flash Player
Quicktime (NOT iTunes, JUST Quicktime and I do not put my email address in there)
Shockwave
Java

The rest are optional as far as this is concerned.
I go to the Adobe site to get the reader later if I haven't already downloaded it. And I use IE to get Windows Media Player...M$ downloads play nicer with IE. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet