Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My wife just got an account a few months ago at the urging of her sister. It cracked me up. . . . she got on my case because I had posted our name and address on the website of a social club that I belong to. She said "Some of my crazy patients may track me down!" Now she has all kinds of personal family photos and info on FaceBook.

I don't have a FaceBook page, but I do have a LinkedIn page and I'm on City-Data. The LinkedIn page is only for professional networking and I try not to give out too much personal info on City-Data. I also don't go to the meetups for reasons of privacy.

PM Sent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 PM

521 posts, read 1,599,215 times
An email account is much more likely to be compromised than a Facebook account, and, in my case at least, it'd be much more damaging.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM

112 posts, read 237,557 times
Common sense applies to FB. The great difference with FB is settings that you control, locking out less-intersting persons (losers). Do not post anything you wouldn't want your mother to see, etc....
I have seen friends "Screenshot" a locked account, sending it to whoever they want.

Rule: Simply lock all settings at first, then slowly open some up as needed. Do not give out personal info and use it only to keep in touch with persons who you would not have found otherwise.

It has brought Joy to my life, but do it wrong and it's also like opening up the flood gates of hell. You will get people who you ignored in High School AGAIN following you around.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,919,224 times
I get on facebook quite often but I think it's unfortunate that it's open to non-college students. I keep my profile accessible only to friends so any prospective employers can't flip through my pictures.

Facebook is great to get in touch with people you used to know and to maintain existing relationships. For professional purposes Linkedin is what I use.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,565,190 times
It doesn't matter that my employer see's me because they all are on there too. ;-) Almost all the agents in my office are on facebook and almost everyday. Cousins I haven't talked to in ages found me on there, as well as classmates and past clients. I am loving it and think it is great. It is a great networking tool. Used to be known for a lot of college students, but much more than that now. MySpace now I don't go on that one. It's hard enough keeping up with one.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:41 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,919,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
It doesn't matter that my employer see's me because they all are on there too. ;-) Almost all the agents in my office are on facebook and almost everyday. Cousins I haven't talked to in ages found me on there, as well as classmates and past clients. I am loving it and think it is great. It is a great networking tool. Used to be known for a lot of college students, but much more than that now. MySpace now I don't go on that one. It's hard enough keeping up with one.
I guess it's different when you have lots of drunk pictures up haha. Don't want any HR or recruiters to see that!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,565,190 times
I'll try not to post those ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I guess it's different when you have lots of drunk pictures up haha. Don't want any HR or recruiters to see that!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Here's a Facebook trend you need to be aware of:

Latest Facebook Scam: Phishers Hit Up “Friends” for Cash

Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,810 times
I've been on Facebook since 2005. I really love it. It has really grown from a college-student networking site to a Universal networking site. I kind of do miss when it was just for college kids though.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,239 times
When used for networking purposes it is an excellent venue. As one poster noted, posting group and organization photos are fun way to keep morale up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet