Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,438,588 times

Advertisements

That's true (regarding alias on FB)
It seems more likely on facebook, when the user ID was created by the person. On facebook, people tend to use their real names (a problem in itself)
Its also possible to set privacy settings so parents/guardians can't see people/postings, etc. A person can also be blocked entirely.
I did insist she set her privacy settings so only friends can see her pics or tagged pictures.
As far as I know, she has one email account connected to this FB account. Wall posts go directly to her email account and the emails match her wall. My account is set up so I don't get an email each and everytime a person posts to my wall.
You have to be careful with privacy settings ! I've been able to link to the pictures of friends of friends due to lack of privacy settings !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM

246 posts, read 627,533 times
I don't see the hate about FaceBook. I think its great that I can reconnect with a bunch of my old High School friends. I think maybe too many people are too critical about it on here.

Last edited by ProjectE; 01-23-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM

188 posts, read 748,719 times
I have a raging Facebook addiction. The first step is admitting it, right? I think it is safe and secure. You have total control over what information is posted and/ or shared.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,170,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My wife just got an account a few months ago at the urging of her sister. It cracked me up. . . . she got on my case because I had posted our name and address on the website of a social club that I belong to. She said "Some of my crazy patients may track me down!" Now she has all kinds of personal family photos and info on FaceBook.
I'm really not sure how many other ways this can be said: you can (and most do) set up your FB account so that NO ONE SEES YOUR PICTURES OR COMMENTS UNLESS YOU AUTHORIZE THEM INDIVIDUALLY TO DO SO. If unintended "stuff" is visible for all the world to see, it's not Facebook's fault. It's operator error.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 AM

246 posts, read 627,533 times
Honestly, in the age of the internet, if someone wants to know something about you they'll find it out.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM

158 posts, read 473,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectE View Post
Honestly, in the age of the internet, if someone wants to know something about you they'll find it out.
This is very true. The amount of public information associated with anyone's name is astounding. The amount of private information that anyone can order via an online background report for $50 is even more astounding.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,086,888 times
I have a FB account. I go on there ocassionally to talk to high school friends. I'm definately on CD way more than FB.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,610,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What if we had the a city-data meetup at a local brewery? Just kidding. I can understand and respect people's desire to keep their identity and life private here.

By the way, Lone Rider Brewing has their public tour tonight 6-8pm!
I'll be there! They may even be serving a beer that I helped to brew. OK. . . . so all I did was grind the grain, clean out the mash tun, and hose down the floor. . . . but I still helped :

Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,845,820 times
I have two accounts, one for personal and one for business. Initially, a few friends and I joined up to play poker together online, but all these people from past popped out of the woodwork and I have reconnected with many lost friends. I love the site...feel free to add me , David Morris (my pic will be a cartoon home inspector) as I write house related articles and post them up for all to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet