Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 02:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

I'm working on a website. On the home page, I am going to put an animation and I need some advice on whether to create the animation as a GIF or in Flash.

Part of the animation will be the image of a person but one of the person's extended arms will wave 'hi." Another part of the animation will be text that will bounce in time with the arm movement.

My concern is that the animation should work on regular laptop as well as mobile devices such as cell phones and tablets.

Based on the above, which will have an easier time loading/operating on all types of computers and devices? GIFS or Flash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 02:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
My advice is to skip the animation and the bouncing text. Quite frankly it's cheesy.

If you must gif is going to be more compatible however it has some severe limitations. They are ideal for small animations or static images without a lot of color. Smilies for example. For video type animations not so good, with the right software it can reproduce well however you need to use dithering which drives the file size through the roof.

It really depends on what you are trying to do. Is it a transparent background? Video with real person?

Old 04-11-2015, 02:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It really depends on what you are trying to do. Is it a transparent background? Video with real person?
Yes, transparent background. The site is somewhat quirky in nature.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, transparent background. The site is somewhat quirky in nature.

You have the software for making this? Gif animation software is not very common and it's not exactly something with no experience is going to do. See if you can find an old copy of Photoimpact that includes their .gif animation package.

The issue with gif and transparency is it's either a color of not. If you have different colors on canvas you'll either end up with choppy edges or a fringe. That fringe is used to blend it into the background however the color of the fringe is dependent on the background. This icon is designed to be a on a light colored background.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
An option, perhaps?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=animated+jpg

Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There is no such thing as an animated .jpg and it doesn't support transparency. In the past you could take a .gif and change the extension to .jpg and browsers would display it as animated. I would suspect that most browsers are checking that common extensions match the header and will not display it if they don't match. Whatever the case it's still a .gif.

There is no other standard image format that supports animation that I'm aware of, there is some kind of non standard .png but there is no browser support.

You could have a script to display a bunch of single .jpg's to simulate an animation but if you are goin to go that route you might as well use .png. That supports alpha transparency where the background color can bleed through the image. You can take this image here and the shadow will look right on any background.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Your best bet is to use HTML5. It won't be as bloated as a GIF or an array of PNGs.

An array of PNGs will look better than GIFs if you need more than 256 colors.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:46 PM

622 posts, read 527,224 times
I think you have to consider how it will affect visitors to your site. Most users don't like animated web pages regardless of how much the developer thinks they'll attract more attention. If you look around the Web, you'll find plenty of tutorials like this one to show users how to block animations: How to block animated gifs in Firefox from playing automatically - gHacks Tech News

When I come across animated sites I'll immediately use an adblocker to disable them since I don't want to have to tolerate something animated which is going to distract me when I'm trying to read whatever's on there.

There are also add-ons for Firefox which can be used to disable them temporarily without actually removing them from view altogether such as this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...rstop/?src=api I use that one myself to disable the rain cloud animation on my local weather station which would otherwise restart itself every ten seconds.

But the fact that these kinds of tools are available is also yet another indication that most users don''t like them.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:56 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
ifones and ipads dont render flash animation because they are too dependant on the cpu (cuts down battery life). flash sux anyways.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
ifones and ipads dont render flash animation because they are too dependant on the cpu (cuts down battery life). flash sux anyways.
Iphones and ipads don't render flash because apple has not allowed flash on them. Their excuse is that they want to push new technology like the features available in HTML5. I don't believe that, preventing "unapproved" third party software is pure business to protect their cash cow the app store. This is something that should be left up to the consumer, by limiting your choices you will pay more.

A pure flash animation can use CPU however that reduces bandwidth usage. If for example you were going to have bouncing ball doing with gif or video you need at least 10 frames a second. So you basically have at least 10 images for each second. With a flash animation it has a set of directions instead, you don't even need an image becsue you just make a set a directions to draw one. You can bounce it and mve it all over the place for endless amount of time with a far less file size than a couple of seconds of image based animation.

In any event flash will die on it's own, it's bridge and primary use has been for the delivery of video and it will no longer be needed for that purpose with HTML5. In that regards the CPU and bandwidth are going to be about the same regardless of the delivery system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet