Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Iphones and ipads don't render flash because apple has not allowed flash on them. Their excuse is that they want to push new technology like the features available in HTML5. I don't believe that, preventing "unapproved" third party software is pure business to protect their cash cow the app store. This is something that should be left up to the consumer, by limiting your choices you will pay more.

A pure flash animation can use CPU however that reduces bandwidth usage. If for example you were going to have bouncing ball doing with gif or video you need at least 10 frames a second. So you basically have at least 10 images for each second. With a flash animation it has a set of directions instead, you don't even need an image becsue you just make a set a directions to draw one. You can bounce it and mve it all over the place for endless amount of time with a far less file size than a couple of seconds of image based animation.

In any event flash will die on it's own, it's bridge and primary use has been for the delivery of video and it will no longer be needed for that purpose with HTML5. In that regards the CPU and bandwidth are going to be about the same regardless of the delivery system.
Apple's excuse for not allowing flash content on iPhones and iPads was actually related to energy consumption (battery drain), security flaws, and lack of sufficient support for handheld devices. It had nothing to do with HTML5 directly or newer technologies directly. HTML5 simply allowed Apple an easy alternative.

Flash takes more CPU and bandwidth than DHTML (what existed pre-HTML5) and HTML5. ECMAScript in Flash required much higher energy consumption than ECMAScript directly in a browser. Likely due to the rapid JITCs that were emerging at the time (which we now know, through multiple iterations, are extremely fast).

Surprisingly, other than video, Flash is most widely used in advertising. Google DoubleClick ads are almost all Flash. In the event that Flash is not available, Google uses an ECMAScript6-based interpreter that is surprisingly fast (uses SVGs, I believe). It allows them to play Flash animations where Flash is not available. I haven't seen any slowdown in the use of Flash for ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Apple's excuse for not allowing flash content on iPhones and iPads was actually related to energy consumption (battery drain), security flaws, and lack of sufficient support for handheld devices. It had nothing to do with HTML5 directly or newer technologies directly. HTML5 simply allowed Apple an easy alternative.

This is the first thing Steve Jobs mentions in his 2010 explanation as to why they don't allow flash.

Quote:
First, there’s “Open”.
Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.
Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards. Apple’s mobile devices all ship with high performance, low power implementations of these open standards. HTML5, the new web standard that has been adopted by Apple, Google and many others, lets web developers create advanced graphics, typography, animations and transitions without relying on third party browser plug-ins (like Flash). HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member.
Security and performance take are third and fourth, As far as compatibility with touch screens that is just a matter of implementation.

I'm no cheerleader for flash but it's my opinion what I choose to use on my device whether it's a phone, tablet of desktop should be up to me. The "walled garden" is simply not acceptable and I see this evolving across the board. At most it should be an option if the consumer wants to lock it down.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:13 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,131,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is the first thing Steve Jobs mentions in his 2010 explanation as to why they don't allow flash.

Security and performance take are third and fourth, As far as compatibility with touch screens that is just a matter of implementation.

I'm no cheerleader for flash but it's my opinion what I choose to use on my device whether it's a phone, tablet of desktop should be up to me. The "walled garden" is simply not acceptable and I see this evolving across the board. At most it should be an option if the consumer wants to lock it down.
You're allowed to run flash on your devices. It's just not supported or developed by Apple or Google. These companies don't have the resources to develop every possible solution so consumers can pick and choose. Instead, they choose what they feel provides the best experience and pour their resources into that. There is noting stopping you from developing your own flash support and side-loading it onto these devices after you unlock/jailbreak them. The hardware is yours to what you want with.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's just not supported or developed by Apple or Google. These companies don't have the resources to develop every possible solution so consumers can pick and choose.
They don't need to support anything other documentation which they already provide, that would be Adobe's problem but that only occurs if the consumer can actually get it onto the device. You can unlock it but you just voided the warranty and this is a huge issue if you brick it amongst the other issues involved. You shouldn't have those risks just because you want to install some software.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:52 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,584,976 times
Quote:
Surprisingly, other than video, Flash is most widely used in advertising. Google DoubleClick ads are almost all Flash. In the event that Flash is not available, Google uses an ECMAScript6-based interpreter that is surprisingly fast (uses SVGs, I believe). It allows them to play Flash animations where Flash is not available. I haven't seen any slowdown in the use of Flash for ads.
i like opera-mobile. it disables embedded flash objects by default until i click on them to start the music stream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You're allowed to run flash on your devices. It's just not supported or developed by Apple or Google. These companies don't have the resources to develop every possible solution so consumers can pick and choose. Instead, they choose what they feel provides the best experience and pour their resources into that. There is noting stopping you from developing your own flash support and side-loading it onto these devices after you unlock/jailbreak them. The hardware is yours to what you want with.
i agree. the only correction i'll add is that i didnt need to root my galaxy s2 in order to play flash games in the browser.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:14 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
do what they all do now and use javascript overlays to blast spammy messages up to get people to sign up for your newsletter.. hopefully ad blockers get better at blocking these.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:04 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,584,976 times
Quote:
Apple's excuse for not allowing flash content on iPhones and iPads was actually related to energy consumption (battery drain), security flaws, and lack of sufficient support for handheld devices. It had nothing to do with HTML5 directly or newer technologies directly. HTML5 simply allowed Apple an easy alternative...
flash video is kinda' wonky on my galaxy. but for instance the cnet app doesnt prevent the screen from locking while watching long videos so i prefer to use the browser and watch it on their website. having choice (even if its a bad choice) is better than being locked down to only the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet