Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,751,444 times

Advertisements

I've been given a secondhand Xbox 360, which I know the original owner hacked. I have no desire to play online games with it, but I would like to subscribe to Netflix and use the Xbox to stream their content.

Since I won't be doing any gaming, will the fact that this box is hacked prevent me from accessing Netflix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 PM

4,563 posts, read 11,004,351 times
What exactly did he do to it? I would assume that as long as it will still get an internet connection and as long as you can still use xbox live on it, there wouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
What exactly did he do to it? I would assume that as long as it will still get an internet connection and as long as you can still use xbox live on it, there wouldn't be a problem.
My understanding is that he did something to the firmware so that he could play pirated game discs in it. And Xbox live? Even if I don't want to play any games, is that required? I'm totally a pc gamer and not a console geek.

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm at work right now and so I can't do any research on hacked Xboxes because they filter out anything to do with stuff like that. Well, in any case the most it will cost me is a month of Netflix and a month of Xbox Live to find out, right?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM

4,563 posts, read 11,004,351 times
You do have to have xbox live in order to watch netflix. If you're unsure, then just paying for a month would be the way to go. If it works, then buy a year - it really isn't that bad. We've always found them cheaper as well on amazon. The price is going up in November for a year subscription, but it's because of the deal they just cut with ESPN I think.

We don't pay for any cable/satellite any longer. We either watch netflix or hook a computer up to the t.v. and watch hulu.

We LOVE the instant streaming with netflix. We get the movies in the mail, but sometimes we don't get around to watching them for a couple of weeks because we watch so much instantly.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
You do have to have xbox live in order to watch netflix. If you're unsure, then just paying for a month would be the way to go. If it works, then buy a year - it really isn't that bad. We've always found them cheaper as well on amazon. The price is going up in November for a year subscription, but it's because of the deal they just cut with ESPN I think.

We don't pay for any cable/satellite any longer. We either watch netflix or hook a computer up to the t.v. and watch hulu.

We LOVE the instant streaming with netflix. We get the movies in the mail, but sometimes we don't get around to watching them for a couple of weeks because we watch so much instantly.
Exactly what I would like to do -- get rid of cable and just go to Netflix and instant streaming.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM

16,671 posts, read 20,009,698 times
Quote:
You do have to have xbox live in order to watch netflix.
Really? Wow, that's seriously lame.

Netflix does offer a 1 month trial if you want to just test it out.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really? Wow, that's seriously lame.

Netflix does offer a 1 month trial if you want to just test it out.
Yeah I think it's lame too. But, even with the cost of Netflix and the cost of a Live subscription, it's still cheaper than cable.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM

219 posts, read 564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yeah I think it's lame too. But, even with the cost of Netflix and the cost of a Live subscription, it's still cheaper than cable.
Last time I checked, Xbox Live was around $50 a year. You're almost better off getting a Blu-Ray player that has internet connectivity. After the initial investment, you can stream Netflix for free. Or do what I did pre-Blu-Ray and stream it off your computer. You'd need a HDMI or a video cable for that.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
Last time I checked, Xbox Live was around $50 a year. You're almost better off getting a Blu-Ray player that has internet connectivity. After the initial investment, you can stream Netflix for free. Or do what I did pre-Blu-Ray and stream it off your computer. You'd need a HDMI or a video cable for that.
Netflix isn't free.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM

62,825 posts, read 89,116,117 times
Is there way any to download a movie to DVD, or HD to watch it later?

Last edited by elnina; 10-24-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet