Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I've been given a secondhand Xbox 360, which I know the original owner hacked. I have no desire to play online games with it, but I would like to subscribe to Netflix and use the Xbox to stream their content.

Since I won't be doing any gaming, will the fact that this box is hacked prevent me from accessing Netflix?
For the native netflix app, you must have an xbox live gold account. the price is going up to around $60/yr.

there is another option for netflix using the xbox;

you can install something called "playon" to your PC and network it w/ the xbox. Playon will cost your $40/yr for the first year, then $20/yr thereafter, but in addition to netflix you get access to hulu, mlb.tv, espn3, and many other cool features.

there are also 3rd party netflix apps for windows media center that work in the xbox 360.

or you can buy one of the new roku boxes for netflix. the new versions also support playon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Netflix isn't free.
I think what was meant was the streaming part is free. To live stream through the xbox you have to pay for the live subscription.

If it wasn't for the fact that our son has the xbox and pays for half of the live subscription because he does online gaming, we would probably opt for the hooking my computer up to the t.v., like we do to watch hulu, in order to watch the instant streaming with netflix on the big t.v.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Firstly lets correct something, you do not need an Xbox Live Gold account for NetFlix, just the silver (freebie).

However to the OP.

If the Xbox 360 has a modchip, then if you connect it to the live service in any way, that Xbox will be most likely be permanently banned (either on connection, or later when they figure out the chip scrambling), and any GamerTag associated with the Xbox will also be permanently banned. Once this happens there will be no access to any of the live services (including NetFlix and ESPN), this is part of the general strategy to prevent piracy of games software (which apparently is what it was being used for).

Since it there is a lot of content on Live, banning the box and the account (which might include any purchased software) is a strong influence to prevent chipping. Now before anyone says, but what about purchased software, well you'd need to re-read the Xbox Live Terms of Use, where it clearly states you only purchased a temporary license that is subject to revocation at any time.

here's some further reading from section 12 of the Xbox Live Terms of Use
Quote:
Microsoft reserves complete and sole discretion with respect to the operation of the Service. Microsoft may, among other things: (a) restrict or limit access to the Service; (b) retrieve information from the Authorized Device and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Service as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Service, and to enforce this contract; and (c) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an Authorized Device, from time to time without notice, expressly including by the automatic download of related software directly to your Authorized Device, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.*
*Unauthorized hardware peripheral devices meaning modchipped Xbox 360's.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Firstly lets correct something, you do not need an Xbox Live Gold account for NetFlix, just the silver (freebie).
?

Not according to Netflix's site.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
?

Not according to Netflix's site.
or Microsoft's.

Microsoft and Netflix Unveil Partnership to Instantly Stream Movies and TV Episodes to the TV via Xbox LIVE: Exclusive agreement creates game-changing home entertainment experience; more than 10,000 movies and TV episodes will be available to watch i

"This movie watching innovation will be available to Xbox LIVE Gold members who are also Netflix subscribers and will let those users enjoy streaming movies from Netflix on Xbox LIVE at no additional cost"

Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Sorry my mistake , it's Movies/TV from Zune on silver, I just ran down the silver services list and keyed off 'Movies'.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I think what was meant was the streaming part is free. To live stream through the xbox you have to pay for the live subscription.

If it wasn't for the fact that our son has the xbox and pays for half of the live subscription because he does online gaming, we would probably opt for the hooking my computer up to the t.v., like we do to watch hulu, in order to watch the instant streaming with netflix on the big t.v.

How are you watching hulu w/ the computer connected to the TV?

Are you just launching hulu desktop, or do you use windows media center?

If you haven't tried windows media center, it is the ultimate solution for TV if you want to get rid of cable.

We're launching hulu desktop through media center, and I have a remote control I bought @ newegg that gets me through the hulu menus.

see this post of mine regarding media center. i posted some pics of some things you can do with it.

it also has all the zune podcast videos that i assume you get on the xbox built-in, all free.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Nope, as per this page on the Netflix site:

Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

It specifically says it requires Xbox Live Gold.

As for the microchipped unit being banned, I was under the impression that the hardware is checked only if one is logging into online games. I could be wrong, though. I guess I'll find out as soon as the gifted unit is in my possession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet