Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 25,024 times

Advertisements

My wife got a job at the Indiana University Hospitals, we have never been to Indianapolis. Where should we look for housing? We probably want to buy... Are budget isn't huge, but location and neighborhood are way more important than price. We wouldn't even mind living in a suburb if it wasn't too far from the hospitals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,806,815 times
When is this moving happening? Come and visit first to scope out places. I'm assuming you'll be downtown? Are schools an issue for you?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:02 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,507,724 times
Before you talk to any realtor, you and your wife should make a list and talk about what things are the most important. Do you need specific things and how far are you willing to commute to work? The hospital is right downtown. I could walk to it from home.

After deciding what things are musts and what things would be nice, then your budget will be important and establish where you can look to buy. But the first thing is the extras that are important.

previous discussions have talked about schools, day care, certain types of grocery stores, outdoor activities, etc. I don't have any kids and love living downtown. My costs are low due to no commuting costs, I have a lot of free time again due to no commuting time, nice neighbors and a neighborhood that is being built up with very expensive housing.

There are some historic areas if you don,t mind the maintainence. There are condos of all kinds. I would not advise downtown for families due to the lack of other children except in one or two small and expensive areas.

Note everyone is going to have their favorite places for one reason or another and that is why it is important for your family to really understand what is important to you.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 8,405 times
I can't help with the house search as I live about 20 miles north of Indy but thought I would jump in and say "WELCOME TO THE HOOSIER STATE"! You'll love it here.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,768,649 times
I delivered mail all over Indy. My favorite area was Perry Twp. down around Stop 11 road and Bluff Road. Nice straight shot downtown via Bluff Road.
It is a good time to move to Indy. The housing costs are down and there are bargains to be found. Be sure you like the area to where you are moving or you'll be stuck if you want to relocate too soon. You may want to rent for a while before making a purchase.
I feel sure Indy will rebound but it will take a while. The glut of foreclosures have depressed the market.
I don't want to make Indy sound like a depressed area. We loved it there and miss the midwest mindset.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:50 PM

667 posts, read 2,892,473 times
I have to agree that you should rent before buying. That way, you can learn the ins and outs of the city without being stuck due to the mortgage.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 PM

28 posts, read 169,782 times
Default Neighborhoods

Some of these neighborhoods are more affordable than others. Little Flower for example has great homes in the $90 to $130 range. Check out these neighborhoods:

Little Flower Neighborhood (littleflowerneighborhood.com)
Martindale on the Monon (martindaleonthemonon.com)
Chattam Arch
St. Joe
Woodruff Place
Emerson Heights (emersonheights.org)
Old North Side
Cottage Homes
Lockerbie
Holy Cross
Irvington
Herron-Morton
Meridian Kessler
Broad Ripple
Butler Tarkington
Fall Creek Place
Golden Hill
Fountain Square

Here is a site that links some of the neighborhoods but also has a lot of Indianapolis information:

http://www.indyscribe.com/about/about_indianapolis.html

Here is a link to a list of neighborhood organizations
http://www.inrc.org/Links/Resources.cfm?details=66 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis