Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 AM

18 posts, read 55,233 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I have been reading past posts from people moving to Indy and you guys gave some great answers! I know so far not to move to the Eastside, and have heard of some great cities outside of Indy, buit I was hoping if I told you what I am looking for specifically that you could please help me! It will be much appreciated!!!

Ok, so i currently live in Chicago with my husband and 2 year old son and the cost is killing us. We are in our late twenties and have heard great things about Indy. He is an apprentice painter, and I work in the med. field. We both do not like living in rural areas and want to avoid them! Suburban is fine and probably preferred, but i worry that what I see as surburban might differ from city to city! Lets put it this way; there should be at least the normal stores like Blockbuster, a few grocery stores ect...lol!

Safety is my number one concern. The violence in Chicago is un-real and I do not want to live in a "bad area." Not even spotty!!! I want to be able to take my trash out at 2am and not worry.

So, to sum this this up if you could please tell me what neighborhoods would be 1. Safe 2. NOT rural 3. Have regular ammenities 4. Have smaller homes to rent in the $700 a month range 5. and have a decent job network Thank you so much for your help! We are not able to come and visit first, so we are terrified and winging it!! I hear it's worth it though!! Thank you, Thank you! Audrey from Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,380,514 times
Fishers is the quintessestial suburb. If you want the 'burbs, go there. They have a super Target AND a super Wal-Mart!

It is a safe place, and has everything you will need.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM

ohh...I LOVE super Wal Mart! Chicago wont allow them in their city!! *rolls eyes*

Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the answer DC!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife22207 View Post
ohh...I LOVE super Wal Mart! Chicago wont allow them in their city!! *rolls eyes*
Really??? Super Wal-Marts are everywhere down here!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 AM

really...I was shocked too!! I am originally from the Detroit metro area and we have wal marts everywhere there too!! There are some regular wal marts but the closest super wal mart is in rockford an hour away from chicago! I keep hearing about Carmel and Fishers. They sound great but are there restaurants and bars, and plenty of places to shop and places for rec. fun too? Like parks, libraries, bowling alleys, pool halls? Thanks again! You are helping a lot!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM

891 posts, read 2,458,457 times
All of what you want is in Carmel and Fishers. Schools are great for when your son goes to school in a few years. Don't get caught up in Fishers or Carmel. Best to think of it as just one big area (which really in effect it is) & look for the house and neighborhood you want.

I live in Carmel. There are two Blockbusters within 10 minutes. 5 Starbucks wiithin less than 10 minutes (although I think one might be closing) There are 8 grocery stores within about 12 minutes (Meijer, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, two Marsh stores, Kroger (really two Kroger stores), Omalia's. Amd I'm not counting the Wal-mart or Target - although neither are "Super" There are tons of pizza places within 10 minutes - and some aren't the chains.

I often walk my dog outside around midnight and have never felt scared at all (and no the dog isn't a watchdog at all)

I live about 10 minutes from a nice upscale outdoor Mall, about 15 minutes from a very nice very upscale indoor mall and about 20 minutes from another outdoor mall and 20 minutes from a large indoor mall

Fishers is the same - can't go wrong really. (I always laugh when someone acts like one is better than the other - really they are the same). Zionsville is a a little different IMO

You can click this link to look into the demographics of each
https://www.city-data.com/city/Indiana.html

Last edited by BU191433; 11-24-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife22207 View Post
I keep hearing about Carmel and Fishers. They sound great but are there restaurants and bars, and plenty of places to shop and places for rec. fun too? Like parks, libraries, bowling alleys, pool halls? Thanks again! You are helping a lot!
Like BU said; don't get hung up between the two; you really can't go wrong with either. As far the other questions; Carmel and Fishers both have their share of restaurants and such. The only bowling alley I know of in Fishers is Pinheads. It is ok; I prefer Woodland Bowl on 96th Street, which is the Carmel/Indy border. Fishers has some bars; I have partied at Briton Tavern off of 37; Sidelines is up in that same area too, as is Pinheads which has a lounge as well. The only place I have ever played pool in FIshers is Pinheads (I think that was Pinheads).

There are restaurants and shopping galore in both towns. If you can't find what you are looking for; the Northside of Indy probably has it.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM

Sounds great! Thanks a lot!!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,746,368 times
Don't forget to check out Avon on the west side too, it is a wonderful area, 4-star schools, very low crime (since Avon was incorporated in 1995 there has NEVER been a homocide in the town), plus plenty of shopping and restaurants.

Edit to add: Avon also has a Super Target and Super Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis