Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 PM

14 posts, read 35,644 times

Advertisements

We have only lived in NC for about a year and are being relocated to Indiana. I have never been to Indianapolis but we lived in Naperville Illinois. Is it similar? I keep reading about Carmel and Fishers for good suburbs to live in with a family. I have seen a number of nice looking communities but some have bad things that they back up to..either power lines or commercial buildings. Any suggestions on neighborhoods that are newer in the 500,00-600,000 price range would be great. Also what schools have the best reputation? Thanks for any help as we prepare to move once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
We lived in Fishers for 4 years ... having lived in the Chicagoland area for almost a decade prior to that, I call Carmel & Fishers Naperville South.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,569 times
You should check out greatschools.net for school rankings, test scores, and even parent comments.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM

23 posts, read 69,198 times
You might also want to check out center grove which is south of indianapolis. I live in greenwood and I like it, not big complaints. It surely has gotten bigger as the years go by. I will say that the jobs are scarce here, so if you have already got a job accepted that is awesome.
Good luck and hope you like it here.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
Plainfield is a nice area of the metro area. Plainfield has great schools, affordable housing, wide array of shopping amenities, lots of recreational oppurtunities, low crime and is very "open"

$500-$600K range you would probably be looking at Willow Pointe, Providence Estates, Nottinghill, Rockingham and Avalon. Their is another very nice housing edition with similar price ranges on S CR 600 E a few miles south of E CR 600 S but I can't remember the name.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 AM

891 posts, read 2,451,288 times
I would recommend West Carmel. _West of Meridian/31 and east of Towne Road. Many, many really nice subdivisions

If you want the nicest suburbs stick to Carmel, Fishers or Zionsville.

Avon and especially Plainfield - just are not as nice. Don't mean to offend anyone

Old 06-11-2009, 08:15 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,569 times
Avon and Plainfield are different from Carmel, Fishers and Zionsville, but just as "nice" in my opinion. It depends on what you prefer, and what you consider "nice". I definitely prefer Avon, while others have different preferences. I like the lower taxes and home prices, I like the schools here, I like the amount of traffic (way less) and there are plenty of stores and restaurants for me. I feel like for my dollar, and for my family, I get a way better value in Hendricks County.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
I would recommend West Carmel. _West of Meridian/31 and east of Towne Road. Many, many really nice subdivisions

If you want the nicest suburbs stick to Carmel, Fishers or Zionsville.

Avon and especially Plainfield - just are not as nice. Don't mean to offend anyone
When you say West Carmel I am thinking you are talking about the Village of West Clay. Yes it's nice but I dont like they way the houses are to close to each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
Avon and Plainfield are different from Carmel, Fishers and Zionsville, but just as "nice" in my opinion. It depends on what you prefer, and what you consider "nice". I definitely prefer Avon, while others have different preferences. I like the lower taxes and home prices, I like the schools here, I like the amount of traffic (way less) and there are plenty of stores and restaurants for me. I feel like for my dollar, and for my family, I get a way better value in Hendricks County.
I agree with what you said definetly!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM

891 posts, read 2,451,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
When you say West Carmel I am thinking you are talking about the Village of West Clay. Yes it's nice but I dont like they way the houses are to close to each other.

I agree with what you said definetly!

No, I'm not talking about Village of West Clay - although sure that is located in West Carmel - but there are probably a dozen of gated communities in West Carmel.

Avon and Plainfield are nice, but if you look at median income as of 2007
Avon - $80,140 - https://www.city-data.com/city/Avon-Indiana.html
Plainfield - $56,140
Zionsville - $89,630
Carmel - $94,092
Fishers - $86,518

Really looking at those figures Avon is right in the range of Zionsville, Fishers, Carmel - Plainfield is the one that is lower .

Don't get me wrong - not that median income means anything really, but if you are moving from out of state and know nothing about the area and want to know the nicest suburb or the one most like Naperville -the numbers give a persson a place to start, contrast and compare

Last edited by BU191433; 06-11-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
No, I'm not talking about Village of West Clay - although sure that is located in West Carmel - but there are probably a dozen of gated communities in West Carmel.

Avon and Plainfield are nice, but if you look at median income as of 2007
Avon - $80,140 - https://www.city-data.com/city/Avon-Indiana.html
Plainfield - $56,140
Zionsville - $89,630
Carmel - $94,092
Fishers - $86,518

Really looking at those figures Avon is right in the range of Zionsville, Fishers, Carmel - Plainfield is the one that is lower .

Don't get me wrong - not that median income means anything really, but if you are moving from out of state and no nothing about the area and want to know the nicest suburb or the one most like Naperville -
Doesn't a higher income also equate with the people being bigger jerks as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis