Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,648 times

Advertisements

we are thinking of moving to IN or Ky in May. We are a family of three and are just looking to get a fresh start with a new baby. we are looking for some place affordable with good schools and a safe place to raise a family. Dont really want to live in the city, a smaller town would be better but it has to be close to jobs as we will both have to work im sure. we are from missouri and due to mother in law issues and the new baby have just decided it was time to get away from these people, but really we have no idea where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 12:24 PM

33 posts, read 118,267 times
I've lived in Indianapolis for 39 years. You said good schools and low crime. You want Kentucky.

Our idiot just voted out mayor pretty well disbanded our police force for the football team.

Our idiot needs to be voted out governor has a nice "new tax of the week" plan.

If you plan to come to this area with any children, figure the costs of private schooling into your budget.

There is no "small town feel" anywhere in Marion County, and very VERY little of it in the counties surrounding Marion County (with a nice exception of Shelby County)

Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
You may want to check out New Albany or Floyd's Knobs just outside Louisville.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,488,381 times
Either one would be fine. However, Indy might have an edge for jobs being much bigger and centralized.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 PM

17 posts, read 75,386 times
Default Go with Indy/Suburbs

I have lived here in Indy for 25 years. I'm sorry fbama feels the he/she does about it, but I have never had a problem living here and really think you might like it here. Never had my house broken into, car broken into, never been mugged, shot at, etc...and I go to school up around 26th and Illinios area downtown where the neighborhoods start to get a little rougher.

We are having some tax issues that I just warned another poster about, so make sure you look at property taxes, I've seen some as low as $500 a year, and some as high as $4000 a year. I have a great real estate agent if you'd like a reference!

As for a smaller/more home town feel of a place, you might want to look at the New Palestine area, they have great schools and its a smaller town, close to Indy but not in it, and very nice. Expensive, housing out there can easily run you 200-300K, same for different parts of Shelby County, particularly the are north of Shelbyville but south of Indy. I grew up out there and the average price of a house in that small area these days is about $200K. Only downside is that it isn't very diversified at all, there were zero black people at the high school I went to, though there are more these days there is also a fair share of racism. People who fly confederate flags, I would go so far as to say white trashy! And I'm only 25 so its not like this has been a long time ago...

The north side of Indy, Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, great schools, nice area, awful traffic and very pricey. Kind of snobby too, and honestly if I could afford to I would NOT want to live there. I like the area I'm in now, south side, close to Southport and Greenwood, but only 15 minutes from downtown, I'm right between the Beech Grove and Franklin Township area schools which are both great schooling districts, and you can find a nice house out here for $80K. Diversified but not in the public school system...which reminds me, stay away from anything in the IPS school district, they are not very good schools.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 75,386 times
Also wanted to add I have lived on the south, east and west sides of town. East side is no good, but thats just my opinion. You get on to the east side anywhere near downtown (but not quite in it) and you have hookers and drug dealers on the corners.

West side is ok but kind of crappy for different reasons, have to be careful of schools, Ben Davis and Avon are pretty awesome but Decatur isn't very good and Perry is only so-so. Seriously, look in Greenwood or Southport area, and Franklin Township schools, all great areas and not outrageously priced, with good schools too.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM

42 posts, read 208,742 times
I second the Franklin Township area.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:16 AM

33 posts, read 118,267 times
Actually Perry Township is South, not west, and all of the Southport Schools are in Perry Township.

But do not miss out on an OUTSTANDING point that Stephle2255's post makes: He/she says that Indy is a pretty good place. I say that I can't wait until my wife graduates in May so we can sell our house and get out.

We're all correct. Like the blind men describing the elephant, different people see different things. Some will like it here, some will hate it. Read ALL of the posts, and take everything with a healthy grain of salt.

This city suits some people perfectly, and for those people, I truly hope that it always does. I hope that they always find happiness here.

Back to my first post in the thread- I posted my opinion on schools. Take it as exactly that- OPINION. I admit that I have very high standards, and yours may vary. I could have made my points about taxes and crime in a better way. I'll rephrase them:

Taxes. Indiana repealed inventory tax on businesses a few years ago. When they realized how much tax revenue they lost, they raised property taxes, then raised them again. many people ( a large part of them elderly) who owned their homes have lost them due to being unable to pay the property tax. We just got a "relief" package which caps the amount that property taxes can go up EVERY YEAR. In exchange for this, we have to pay an extra percent in sales tax. Nice. Also, state and local income tax will take a nice piece of your paycheck every week, too.

And crime is definitely up in Marion County. It has been going up for some time, and there's no indication that it's going to stop going up anytime soon.

But, there are still places to live that people will like. If I were to stay here, I would look to Shelby or Barthlolemew counties. The New Palestine area (Hancock County) would get a look, too.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 33,085 times
I grew up in Indy but have lived in Ky for 15 years. We are getting ready to move back to Indy (husband's job). We live in Owensboro - 2 hours to Louisville, 2 hours to Nashville. It has been a great place to raise our kids. Our school district is really good. What kind of jobs are you looking for???

Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 AM

130 posts, read 322,485 times
small town feel: you will not get in indy though depending on how long you are willing to commute, you can move to southern indiana i.e. martinsville. It is alot closer to the hills and outdoor activities. Though, I would recomend KY if you want the small town feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis