Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 07:43 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times

Advertisements

Maybe some people don't understand why you are flashing your brights. Anytime I turn my lights on and off (I don't use my brights), I'm trying to tell someone to turn on their lights. They always do. I find drivers here are cautious and want a lot of room before they'll change lanes or pull out into traffic. Maybe leaving a lot of room between cars is their way of letting other drivers do what they need to do. I'm not saying there aren't any bad drivers here or that you're doing anything wrong--but maybe there's a different driving style here where there's less traffic.

IME, yielding to drivers trying to get in is the norm...I hadn't paid attention to whether people wave.

As for the accidents near the mall, it could be the fault of drivers or pedestrians or some of both.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 12-26-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 10:26 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I must be a magnet for bad drivers then. It's not that they tailgate or do what others have mentioned. They just don't see to be considerate or care that anyone else is on the road. Like they have tunnel vision when they drive. My boss is from Michigan like my wife and I. He agrees how bad people drive. I'm in management and most of my employee's will tell you people cannot drive down here.
Sitting here I am reminded of our trip to the big mall downtown. I was in a sports collector store. Straight across from his store was a huge window that overlooks the road. He told us to be careful when we walk along there. When we laughed and asked why he said he see's at least 1-2 people get hit by cars every week. This I have not seen, but we had not mentioned drivers during our conversation. Who was I to call him a liar.
I drive the same way I always have. If on the rare occasion someone lets me out I wave. If someone is trying to get out I flash my brights to let them know I see them and am letting them out. maybe 1 out of 20 has waved to me in thank you. Say what you will, IMO a lot of people down here cannot drive.
Down here in Texas, some of the worst drivers I've ever seen in my life have had Michigan plates. Just last week, I was behind an old Chevy El Camino with Michigan license plates instead of trying to ease on in to the right lane traffic, the car came to a complete stop on the entrance ramp Interstate 35 and waited for a large enough gap between vehicles to enter the interstate.

Seen another car with Michigan plates went straight in the far left turn lane of a double left. Fortunately no vehicles were in the right side left turn lane.

Last year I was in right lane on 1604 in San Antonio when a car from the left lane drifted into my lane and hit my car on the back drivers side, causing both of us to lose control and spun out about 4 or 5 times before landing on the side of the road. I don't know how either of our vehicles managed to not get hit by cars in the other lanes. It was a miracle nobody was hurt. Lo and behold, that car had Michigan plates and the driver was from Battle Creek.

It's been my observance, the worst out of state drivers seem to come from Michigan, New Mexico, Arizona, South Carolina and Kentucky.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:48 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
Default Not a Michigan thing

Out of state drivers are generally bad as they do not know area or local traffic patterns.

In Chicago we drive faster than Indy and are more aggressive but we generally observe the every other car gets on entrance ramp unless drivers are being real jerks.

Not so much in Toronto, where drivers are slightly slower but less prone to let you in.

Indy drivers aren't any ruder than others I have seen but do seem to react slower and drive slower. It is just a slower paced place than bigger cities, not for just driving.

Worst drivers I have ever seen are in Florida, especially Orlando but I assume this is because of all the tourists and out of state drivers.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Orange County, INDIANA just repealed their law making it illegal to leave horse droppings in the road, punishable by fines. The Amish are delighted.

Horse manure law repealed in Indiana county

Old 12-28-2016, 09:20 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Orange County, INDIANA just repealed their law making it illegal to leave horse droppings in the road, punishable by fines. The Amish are delighted.

Somebody must have been paid off. That's just down right inconsiderate to all the other taxpayers. If i lived in that County I'd be outraged.The highway is paid for by all the taxpayers in that county. Whoever the govt official or officials that are cool with piles of horse manure all along the highway, then they have no reason to complain when the neighbors dogs leaves piles of dog manure in their yards.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM

918 posts, read 1,698,403 times
Quote:

A major victory for Horse Manure Legalization movement across the globe !

Old 12-28-2016, 10:22 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
A major victory for Horse Manure Legalization movement across the globe !
Never knew that there was significant Amish population in Orange County, IN. Fairly wooded overall, and not much farming at all relative to most of the state.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 PM

I see an opportunity to create a job. Let's make America's infrastructure great again!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:02 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
I see an opportunity to create a job. Let's make America's infrastructure great again!
They are finally upgrading the roads and installing modern stoplights in southern Indiana by Louisville. It is quite amazing how much has changed in the last five years in this area.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:35 PM

I was thinking someone could be paid to pick up the road apples in Orange County.

By "modern stoplights," do you mean the kind that tells you how long you have until the light turns red?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis