Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:17 AM

94 posts, read 164,299 times

Advertisements

Dear all, there is a nice job opportunity that comes my way in Charlotte, NC. Does anyone know something about the two places? I am not sure whether or not to take it, or to stay here in Indy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
Dear all, there is a nice job opportunity that comes my way in Charlotte, NC. Does anyone know something about the two places? I am not sure whether or not to take it, or to stay here in Indy.
I've never been to Charlotte, so take this comment with that in mind.

I have a neighbor who moved to Indianapolis from Charlotte a couple of years ago. She describes Charlotte as "Indianapolis if it had light rail and better weather."

Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I think they're pretty similar.

Cost of living is going to be slightly higher in Charlotte. NC is a pretty high tax state.

Economy is going to be pretty similar. Charlotte has the banking/finance, while Indy is more well balanced.

Retail and dining options are going to be fairly similar. South Park mall in Charlotte is similar to Keystone. Both cities are sprawling and suburban.

Sports are nearly identical. Indy has the Indy 500. Both have pro basketball and football teams, though Indy's teams are better.

Charlotte has a much newer feel overall, especially in the city. Indy has its downtown, but there is a lot of older, rundown properties and blighted feel than in Charlotte IMO.

I think Charlotte is by far in a better location, better weather, and better outdoors opportunities. Charlotte is reasonably close to the beach, and just an hour and a half or so from WNC mountains and skiing. Atlanta is pretty close by if you need a bigger city. Indy obviously has Chicago.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM

271 posts, read 458,625 times
They're similar in many ways, but if you're going to use air travel a lot, Charlotte has the edge in this category as they have more direct flights than Indy.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
For questions about two different cities in two different states, you're not going to get unbiased responses in a forum for just one of the state.

The General US, City to City forum is the best place for such posts.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
For questions about two different cities in two different states, you're not going to get unbiased responses in a forum for just one of the state.

The General US, City to City forum is the best place for such posts.
The city vs city forum is by far the lest useful forum on here.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Charlotte is a better city in every way. It's larger, growing faster, and has more stuff going for it.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Better in every way? Be specific.
NC has far better roads/infrastructure than IN. The potholes/bad roads you see in IN aren't as a big of a deal down South. I know the weather is better, but there is no excuse for the way IN maintains its roads. I certainly think it's location is better than the Midwest.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
NC has far better roads/infrastructure than IN. The potholes/bad roads you see in IN aren't as a big of a deal down South. I know the weather is better, but there is no excuse for the way IN maintains its roads. I certainly think it's location is better than the Midwest.
Based on what I know about Charlotte, the only thing they have that I wish Indy had is light rail. Nothing else about Charlotte's location or weather does anything for me.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM

42 posts, read 68,100 times
Currently live in Indy. I've spent a decent amount of time in Durham and Chapel Hill. Would move our family there if we had a chance.

The biggest obvious problem there that I could see was the traffic. Massive population increase in the research triangle without the accompanying light rail or expanded highways. It's awesome to hear that Charlotte has light rail, which presumably alleviates clogged traffic.

And of course the hot hot summer.

But there is the ocean. And the foodie culture. And the natural beauty --rolling hills and mountains, ocean to the side-- and historic vibes really has south central Indiana beat, to my eyes.

Show me your best, Hoosiers. I wanna fall in love again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis