Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:43 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Based on what I know about Charlotte, the only thing they have that I wish Indy had is light rail. Nothing else about Charlotte's location or weather does anything for me.
It is almost April and we're not even going to break 40 today or tomorrow. It's going to be a bit warmer next week, but the weather here is just too cold for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 AM

143 posts, read 237,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It is almost April and we're not even going to break 40 today or tomorrow. It's going to be a bit warmer next week, but the weather here is just too cold for me.
This is pretty abnormal weather for this time of year... Usually it's quite a bit warmer here by late March.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:32 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Quote:
2 years ago we were in the 80s and already having to mow the lawn. I don't really mind putting off lawn mowing season a few more weeks. lol

Old 03-27-2015, 12:41 PM

94 posts, read 164,406 times
Quote:
I think they're pretty similar.

Cost of living is going to be slightly higher in Charlotte. NC is a pretty high tax state.

Economy is going to be pretty similar. Charlotte has the banking/finance, while Indy is more well balanced.

Retail and dining options are going to be fairly similar. South Park mall in Charlotte is similar to Keystone. Both cities are sprawling and suburban.

Sports are nearly identical. Indy has the Indy 500. Both have pro basketball and football teams, though Indy's teams are better.

Charlotte has a much newer feel overall, especially in the city. Indy has its downtown, but there is a lot of older, rundown properties and blighted feel than in Charlotte IMO.

I think Charlotte is by far in a better location, better weather, and better outdoors opportunities. Charlotte is reasonably close to the beach, and just an hour and a half or so from WNC mountains and skiing. Atlanta is pretty close by if you need a bigger city. Indy obviously has Chicago.
Thanks a lot! Your comments are very helpful!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I've never been to Charlotte, so take this comment with that in mind.

I have a neighbor who moved to Indianapolis from Charlotte a couple of years ago. She describes Charlotte as "Indianapolis if it had light rail and better weather."
That's a nice insight. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
They're similar in many ways, but if you're going to use air travel a lot, Charlotte has the edge in this category as they have more direct flights than Indy.
Yeah, I can see that too. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgewater View Post
Currently live in Indy. I've spent a decent amount of time in Durham and Chapel Hill. Would move our family there if we had a chance.

The biggest obvious problem there that I could see was the traffic. Massive population increase in the research triangle without the accompanying light rail or expanded highways. It's awesome to hear that Charlotte has light rail, which presumably alleviates clogged traffic.

And of course the hot hot summer.

But there is the ocean. And the foodie culture. And the natural beauty --rolling hills and mountains, ocean to the side-- and historic vibes really has south central Indiana beat, to my eyes.

Show me your best, Hoosiers. I wanna fall in love again.
Thank you for your insights, bilgewater!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:55 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,418,052 times
Charlotte is a new city. The roads are new, there are more transplants, and the infrastructure is new. You will find several new upscale shopping areas, urban developments, and gorgeous homes. The city is known for banking, NASCAR, and an overwhelmingly business friendly environment. There are many family friendly museums and attractions, better weather, and closer proximity to large metros and diverse terrain. The city has recovered from the recession and is growing much faster than Indianapolis. There really is no comparison, Charlotte is reaching a new tier while Indianapolis is stuck in the past (the governor's anti-lgbt law that was just passed doesn't help Indianapolis either :-()

Fierce Backlash Mounts Over Indiana's 'Religious Freedom' Law

Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 AM

42 posts, read 68,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Closer proximity to large metros?
You couldn't be any further from the truth there.
Chicago
St Louis
Louisville
Cincinnati
Detroit
Columbus
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Those cities are within a 6 hour drive of Indianapolis. Charlotte doesn't come even close.
Please give an objectionable opinion and not some personal bias.
Goodness, when did 280 miles become "close proximity"? It sounds like you found his/her opinions very objectionable, not lacking in objectionable characteristics.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:23 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Name large cities with 1.5 Million people near Charlotte then.
Raleigh metro, but that's really it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis