Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:46 PM

271 posts, read 458,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Those cities are within a 6 hour drive of Indianapolis.
I agree 100%, Indy is located within close proximity to much more big cities than Charlotte, you could also add Nashville to the list which's a 4 hour drive from Indy compared to 6 hours from Charlotte.

This might not be a big reason for people to move/stay in Indy but its convenient for short weekend trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM

94 posts, read 164,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Charlotte is a new city. The roads are new, there are more transplants, and the infrastructure is new. You will find several new upscale shopping areas, urban developments, and gorgeous homes. The city is known for banking, NASCAR, and an overwhelmingly business friendly environment. There are many family friendly museums and attractions, better weather, and closer proximity to large metros and diverse terrain. The city has recovered from the recession and is growing much faster than Indianapolis. There really is no comparison, Charlotte is reaching a new tier while Indianapolis is stuck in the past (the governor's anti-lgbt law that was just passed doesn't help Indianapolis either :-()

Fierce Backlash Mounts Over Indiana's 'Religious Freedom' Law
Thank you for your insight. Govenor Pence is doing such damage to Indiana!

Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
Dear all, there is a nice job opportunity that comes my way in Charlotte, NC. Does anyone know something about the two places? I am not sure whether or not to take it, or to stay here in Indy.
I've heard pretty good things about Charlotte. NC itself is nice. You get mountains and beaches. I have heard that property taxes, at least in the mountain west area, are high. If you end up going, best place for a picnic is Waterrock Knob off the Blue Ridge Parkway about 20ish miles from Cherokee.

A few years back Chiquita moved their HQ from Cincinnati to Charlotte. I heard that Charlotte's airport was better for business (more direct flights to various destinations).

Old 03-30-2015, 04:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,840,641 times
I guess being better no longer comes into play since they are leaving Charlotte too. I guess it was a good 2 years being there. lol

Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Quote:
Charlotte is a new city. The roads are new, there are more transplants, and the infrastructure is new. You will find several new upscale shopping areas, urban developments, and gorgeous homes. The city is known for banking, NASCAR, and an overwhelmingly business friendly environment. There are many family friendly museums and attractions, better weather, and closer proximity to large metros and diverse terrain. The city has recovered from the recession and is growing much faster than Indianapolis. There really is no comparison, Charlotte is reaching a new tier while Indianapolis is stuck in the past (the governor's anti-lgbt law that was just passed doesn't help Indianapolis either :-()

Fierce Backlash Mounts Over Indiana's 'Religious Freedom' Law
Why NC's 'religious freedom' bill is worse than Indiana's

Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times
From an outsider:

Weather:
Perhaps Charlotte because I'm guessing Indianapolis has somewhat humid summer temperatures unlike those along Great Lakes, with Winter Temperatures around the same as Great Lakes Cities. Not a big edge here though. Charlotte summers are truly awful.

Arts/Culture:
Strikes me that Indianapolis has a big edge here. The Indianapolis Museum of Art is among the Top 12 in America and is free, and it is just one of several terrific museums and theaters within walking distance of what appears to be a livable and vibrant downtown.

Economy:
Charlotte's still might be better now on the basis of having BOA, but it appears BOA is currently in risky straits. Generally the best economy is a place where you can find relevant employment though.

Sports:
I give Indy the edge here because not only are sports a bigger part of the fabric of the community, but there are more opportunities for seeing college sports close at hand (including next week's Final 4), and I am sure that the Indiana High School Basketball Championship is the closest sports can come to being a religious experience.

Outdoors/Nature:
This one is kind of a toss up. I am quite certain that Indianapolis has a city park system which can blow Charlottes out of the water. However Charlotte does have mountains like closer, along with Lake Norman, and the OBX and Smokies can be weekend trips from there, so there's that. You could call this one a push then, though Indy still gives more opportunity for everyday enjoyment.

Indianapolis has much more of a proximity to other large cities, and sits as much more of a crossroads between regions of the country. I'd pick Indianapolis for this one.

History/Streetscape: I'd say neither city is the best, but Indy is a clear winner. I haven't personally been to NoDa in Charlotte, but it strikes me that Indy has longer established mom/pops, some nice Victorian neighborhoods, and an incredibly vibrant and connected downtown which wows visitors.

Traffic/Livability: I would guess Indianapolis is more affordable yet offers a decent amount of gainful employment, offers more higher education access close at hand, and has lower level of traffic.

To Charlotte's credit, the perks are being able to work in a corporate area at BOA, access to the Smokies, more moderate winters, and a high quality theme park near town in Carowinds.

Based on all these factors though, I'd still pick Indianapolis in a heartbeat if given a choice.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 PM

I also see a lot of people posting that with Charlotte, you get the mountains and the beach. You may take the occasional weekend trip over there, but I doubt many would be willing to consistently pile on the 2+ hours needed to get to Mountains or 3+ hours to go over to the beach. So really, you end up getting either. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if relatively flat Indiana's highest point in Crown Hill Cemetery is higher than any spot in Charlotte. You could also get from downtown Indy to Indiana Dunes and Mammoth Cave which are bizarre and unique features in less time than it would take to get to the OBX from Charlotte.

I would also point out that while Wilmington and Asheville are definite foodie cities, consensus about Charlotte is it is more Applebee's country among many I have heard.

Another unique advantage Indianapolis has with being less transient, is that of having more of an identity. And that likely doesn't just include sports.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Closer proximity to large metros?
You couldn't be any further from the truth there.
Chicago
St Louis
Louisville
Cincinnati
Detroit
Columbus
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Those cities are within a 6 hour drive of Indianapolis. Charlotte doesn't come even close.
Please give an objectionable opinion and not some personal bias.
Six hours is not close. Atlanta is larger than all of those metros except Chicago, and it is within four hours. Charlotte has more direct flights to large cities and a larger airport, so no you're not going to win here. Charlotte is also close to the mountains and the beach, can't say the same for Indianapolis #BoycottIndiana.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:07 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Quote:
Six hours is not close. Atlanta is larger than all of those metros except Chicago, and it is within four hours. Charlotte has more direct flights to large cities and a larger airport, so no you're not going to win here. Charlotte is also close to the mountains and the beach, can't say the same for Indianapolis #BoycottIndiana.
Indy still has more large metros within a 3 hour drive. #GlassHouses

Old 03-31-2015, 05:55 AM

Yeah, what do you know lol.

Highest point in Indianapolis: 916 ft.

Highest point in Charlotte: 746 ft.

Charlotte does still have a little bit shorter commute to the Pisgah Mtns. Or Asheville. But on a regular basis Indianapolisites can get more hiking in. Also, as cities , the only major advantage I can see for Atlanta over Chicago, though Atlanta in it's own right is a pretty good city is weather during the winter (id still say overall it's about even) and the fact that you can do some serious hiking in the winter, and maybe cost of living though I don't know. The rest Atlanta can't help, Chicago is a legacy city and perhaps one of the 10 most important to the world's social, cultural and economic future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis