Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,014 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My dog was diagnosed with diabetes in October 2014, and went blind December 2014. He has been having a difficult time coping with his blindness when we are not around. Yesterday, when I got home from work, there was a note on my door from my apartment complex manager that stated that neighbors have been complaining about "incessant barking/howling around 6:30 am" (right around when we leave for the day!). Any future notice will result in a $25 PER NOTICE fee.

We are at a loss right now with what to do. We are planning to buy a house in the near future, but obviously that is not a right now fix. Has anyone had experience with this? Our dog used to have severe separation-anxiety, but it has calmed a lot over the years until he went blind.

I feel so bad for my neighbors, but I am going to explain to them our situation to see if that will buy us some time. Until then, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. I am not sure if meds are a good idea due to his diabetes. The thundershirt/barking collar won't work with him... help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,389 times
Maybe the veterinarian can prescribe some medication to help with his anxiety.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I think a dogie day care would be cheaper than these daily fines. Another thought, do you have a way to sit up a computer program, where you could speak to your dog...and check on him from work?? or, even a way to record your voice....i saw years ago there was a ball treat dispenser, that spoke to your dog, in your recorder voice....Perhaps that would distract him and break this mournful barking/howling pattern.
Here is a link to start http://www.pawnation.com/2013/08/29/...-at-home-dogs/

Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 7,056 times
euthanize.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
You have a responsibility to both your neighbors and pet. If you can't afford day care (as suggested above) maybe it is time to consider another home (maybe a relative until you can find a house) for him even if it's not permanent. At this point you're not being fair to either the neighbors or your beloved pup.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve... View Post
euthanize.
So much for taking this new poster seriously.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
So much for taking this new poster seriously.
Why? The dog is probably suffering greatly. Why do people insist on keeping a poor animal alive when its in that position. I just dont understand you folks and never will.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve... View Post
euthanize.
Really bad idea.

I have a dog with separation anxiety and got the no bark collar. It doesn't hurt the dog and it works.

Make sure he has a comfortable bed with things he likes before you leave. I'm sure the blindness has scared him - he just needs time. Ignore some of these comments.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:00 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I've been watching a lot of Caesar Milan on you tube recently. He does shows related to all kinds of dog issues...Worth watching...
One segment discussed separation anxiety....You have to get them really calm before leaving....and some part of the training involved...short practices....Calm them...laying resting state....Go out....wait a few come back....repeat....
Anyway....No way to do it justice....Watch some segments....This guy has awesome skills. Here is a link to random episode...look for one with separation anxiety in title.....Not a waste no matter what you watch....Good luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paAm6wGULXw

Is is possible to take the dog to work with you..Will he rest in the car....You could go out often. Seems more humane if it is something feasible, as a temporary fix. I worked where my car was right in front.....My dog would have had lots of stuff to look at, Downtown area...and I would have been able to go out to her, or have her in my office all day long...Never had to do that....But if necessary I would have to keep her happy.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:50 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
If I had this issue I would just simply sound proof one room where the dog will be. This will lower the decibel which is basically a unit used to express the intensity of a sound wave, equal to 20 times the common logarithm of the ratio of the pressure produced by the sound wave to a reference pressure, usually 0.0002 microbar. Another words the sound volume of your dog's barking can be greatly reduced to the point that your neighbors wouldn't even notice. It will cost money but if it were my pet I wouldn't care about the cost. Another option is to have someone home sit your dog while you're away or come in on your lunch hour to check on your pet or both. You can also place a decibel meter in another room to test the sound frequency until you get the desired result. Hope this helps.

Last edited by urbanologist; 01-31-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: