Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,218 times

Advertisements

Hi Indy forum.

My wife and I live in Indianapolis and know parts of the city well. We both grew up in the north side suburbs and live in Lawrence Township now. We've always hung out in Broad Ripple, downtown, and the Castleton area, so we know the north and northeast sides of town really well. We just sold our "starter house" and are looking for a house with more space to expand into.

That brings me to Pike Township. We found a house that we really like near Saddlebrook golf course. The house is nice, and it's priced well, but we're worried about two things - schools and property values. I'm interested in some constructive advice about Pike Township schools - please don't tell me I need to be looking in a suburban county; we aren't interested. Also, how stable is that area? The Indy Maps crime report looked nice and clean, but that's only part of the overall picture.

We're moving out of our house now because we are getting a killer rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage, so the idea is to find a place that we can live in as long as we're in the Indianapolis area, so getting this right is important. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to comment here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM

505 posts, read 942,014 times
I looked in that area when I moved to town, and ended up in north Pike township near 86th and Michigan instead. I work on the far northside, so my commute is much shorter where I am than it would have been from around 56th-62nd Streets.

We are close to a lot of conveniences where I am, too, which certainly factored in to our decision. You may have to drive down to 38th or up to 71st to get to a variety of grocery stores or other stores and restaurants from the Saddlebrook area.

My impression was that the area around Saddlebrook Golf course was safe overall.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,550,213 times
I would rather live in Washington Township.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I would rather live in Washington Township.
So would I, but the house in question is nicer than anything we've found in Washington Township in our price range. I suppose schools may be a reason for that, but the house we're looking at is was also built in the 90s and most of Washington Township was built out way earlier than that.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,550,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD249 View Post
So would I, but the house in question is nicer than anything we've found in Washington Township in our price range. I suppose schools may be a reason for that, but the house we're looking at is was also built in the 90s and most of Washington Township was built out way earlier than that.
You must think of the long term.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,492,433 times
If you have fallen in love then nothing presented about the area will change your mind. This usually happens in real estate transactions.

Personally, I do not like Pike Township. Of course there are good homes but, from my perspective, I would not even ask about houses in that area if looking. Of course, 25 years ago when Lafayette Square was a premier area, it was felt that Pike was improving and growing. This turned completely around. The Walmart has security guards at the doors, Michigan Street is not improving, IPS is still an issue, many houses on the surrounding streets are not being improved, etc.

You will take your chances and I dont see much in the future for Pike.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM

76 posts, read 144,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
IPS is still an issue, many houses on the surrounding streets are not being improved, etc.

How is IPS an issue for kids attending Pike Township schools?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:00 PM

143 posts, read 238,182 times
Quote:
If you have fallen in love then nothing presented about the area will change your mind. This usually happens in real estate transactions.

Personally, I do not like Pike Township. Of course there are good homes but, from my perspective, I would not even ask about houses in that area if looking. Of course, 25 years ago when Lafayette Square was a premier area, it was felt that Pike was improving and growing. This turned completely around. The Walmart has security guards at the doors, Michigan Street is not improving, IPS is still an issue, many houses on the surrounding streets are not being improved, etc.

It's Michigan Road in this area, not Michigan Street. Michigan Street runs east and west in between Washington Street and 10th Street. And Pike Township is not IPS. Pretty obvious you don't know anything about the area.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:05 PM

8,987 posts, read 17,321,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayloure View Post
How is IPS an issue for kids attending Pike Township schools?
It is almost like "IPS is an issue" is some kind of canned answer from people without kids any time someone asks about Marion County.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To the OP............my sister recently moved from Pike to Washington. Not because she hates Pike schools; she just liked a particular school in Washington Twnshp better. If being among middle class minorities is ok with you, then Pike is fine. Seems the majority of people (I know personally) who own property in Pike fall into one of two categories, middle class minorities living a normal middle class life; and more affluent folks who live west of 465. The apartments in that area have gone down hill. That is something to be cognizant of; but is not unlike a lot of other areas of Marion County.

Having said that; I don't think Pike is a place I would buy a house unless I got a bargain. I just don't see a suburban development pattern for the outer townships as healthy long term when they have to compete against places like Carmel and Fishers. Pike needs to reinvent itself, but having Eagle Creek sure helps.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,278,262 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but Wal-Mart having a security guard at the door means nothing. The city of 28,000 I moved from was completely safe, no murders, violent crimes, things like that. But the local movie theater still had an off-duty police officer as security Friday Saturday and Sunday. The IHOP employeed and off-duty cop on weekends during the overnight shift for security, and Wal-Mart had an off-duty cop hanging out by the door on weekends during the overnight hours. It certainly doesn't point to an area being bad by any means. By that logic, Hamilton Town Center or Clay Terrace are bad areas because they are constantly patrolled by security guards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis