Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM

329 posts, read 699,898 times

Advertisements

Public Housing Likely for Suburbs of Green Township Ohio

This is VERY upsetting. I hate to see my neighborhood become slowly worse everyday... I not too long ago used to recommend people to Monfort Heights and Rybolt Rd area around here, but I took a drive near Rybolt today and alot is changing quickly... The ghetto has finally made its way to the new neighborhoods near the Meijer and LA Express carwash. I knew this would eventually happen...

This, being specific, pisses me off! I moved here to a supposedly new and nice neighborhood near Saint Ignatius only to find they will most likely make Lee's Crossing Apartments near the Kroger on N Bend section 8. Good job Cincinnati. No wonder people want to get the f*ck out of here. You already lose about 5 thousand people a year, make it worse by moving more people outside of the city, and even 275 now. I've had it with this city and plan to leave. This is BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
See ya!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post

This is VERY upsetting. I hate to see my neighborhood become slowly worse everyday... I not too long ago used to recommend people to Monfort Heights and Rybolt Rd area around here, but I took a drive near Rybolt today and alot is changing quickly... The ghetto has finally made its way to the new neighborhoods near the Meijer and LA Express carwash. I knew this would eventually happen...

This, being specific, pisses me off! I moved here to a supposedly new and nice neighborhood near Saint Ignatius only to find they will most likely make Lee's Crossing Apartments near the Kroger on N Bend section 8. Good job Cincinnati. No wonder people want to get the f*ck out of here. You already lose about 5 thousand people a year, make it worse by moving more people outside of the city, and even 275 now. I've had it with this city and plan to leave. This is BS.
I'm not exactly happy to hear this, either. Where do you get your information about Lee's Crossing?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 PM

329 posts, read 699,898 times
Green Twp Trustee

Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM

405 posts, read 890,857 times
I think section eight is failed policy. It achieves the opposite of what its supposed to achieve.

HUD is one federal agency where I think we could save a lot of tax dollars. I may simply be ignorant of what it achieves with its Billions of taxpayer dollars.

Keep your hands off my friggin Medicare, but you can dismantle HUD if you want.

I understand the argument that you have to have low rents to get section eight, ie that it costs too much for the Agency to buy lots of properties in places like Hyde Park. This argument suggests section eight doesnt necessarily CAUSE neighborhoods to go bad but just makes them worse.

To me that's irrelevant to the fact that it is mostly failed policy.

I wouldn't panic yet. If the neighborhoods are nice they won't be able to buy many houses or units on their budget.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Lightbulb Well, I'm Sorry To Disappoint You, But...

Quote:

I get so blasted fed up with all this 'ghetto/section 8/the end of life as we know it!!' junk...

My wife and I would very much like to move closer to the city, hell maybe even WITHIN the city...we definitely ain't ghetto, and we DAMN sure ain't section 8, and let me add, there are good people who ARE on section 8, and get stigmatized due to the actions of folks who are on it and act a bleepin' fool...once again, the Big Ol' Paint Can O' Stereotypes gets opened up, and everybody gets a knot in their urinary tract and starts morphing into NIMBY'S...

I have always loved this area (I must, this is my 2nd time living here LOL) and will defend it with vigor from any attacks, both foreign (non-Cincinnatians) and domestic (those who live here)...I believe the city is on the cusp of really changing for the better, but it will bog down if everybody starts turning tail and running for the hills at the sight of anyone darker than a paper bag, and instead of dealing with the situation at hand, start resorting to throwing out the same old tired stereotypes at each other

I truly believe that this a good place to live, work, and raise a family---I really do...but unfortunately, there are, in this day and age, still folk on both sides, who treat Cincinnati like it's some macabre version of Baskin-Robbins---that is, one side laments they can't have all vanilla ice cream, one side wants all chocolate, and when one flavor starts to melt and creep toward the other, everybody starts going 'ewwww! gross! I don't want that on MY side of the plate!'

Sorry to be the big smelly ant at the picnic folks, but until some enlightened individual makes a law that says you can wall off your section of the city, and nobody from the other 'side' can live there, then we're all gonna have to suck it up, quit whining, and deal with reality...that is, all white folk ain't racists, running for the imagined safety of elsewhere when 'the ghetto' creeps it's way across the land, and all black folk ain't thugs and leeches living on section 8 and 'ghettofying' once-nice neighborhoods...we'rer not ever all gonna join hands and warble some off-key version of 'Kumbaya', but this bulls**t divisiveness that seems to rear its' head every other week simply has got to come to an end, if Cincinnati wants to be a vibrant, leading edge city

Old 04-09-2011, 01:31 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times
Quote:

They should share just as the other middles places area's have shared. If you put all section 8 in one place. I can't see how that's a good thing. Maybe put them all in a rural area where no one else lives? I can't see that a good thing either. Maybe god is testing you.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Green Twp Trustee
Bummer.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:53 AM

As I see it--and I see it at close range--the worst problem with Section 8 (at least around here, anyway) is how it all too often concentrates a lot of recipients into large apartment complexes. And when it does, a bunch of unsavory stuff starts to happen. For whatever reason, once a complex goes Section 8, your middle-class neighborhood where people are safe and where police calls are infrequent undergoes a drastic change.

As far as I'm concerned, Captain Catfish, this has nothing to do with people's color except insofar as to the social inequities that put them into Section 8 in the first place. It also has nothing to do with the many Section 8 recipients who are good neighbors. It has EVERYTHING to do with the Section 8 recipients who are bad ones.

And don't try to tell me these problems are nonexistent or some kind of racist exaggeration. Take a look sometime at the police calls for the big complexes in Mt. Airy, and spend some time in the adjoining business district at Colerain and North Bend. You should be able to figure out real fast why no one in their right mind would want the same thing in Monfort Heights.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
Quote:

I find your rant a bit funny in that you for some reason think it's right or natural that all Section 8 has to be concentrated within the city limits. Why villianize the city of Cincinnati for something that amounts to an improvement in quality of life for its citizens? Why is your quality of life somehow more important than those of us in city? Typical NIMBY attitude. I say share the wealth! If it's spread out enough, then it has less impact on everyone.

Anyplace that has cheap housing that meets government standards is going to be a prospect for subsidized tenants, and I see tons of opportunity for this, particularly on the west side and northern 'burbs like Fairfield. The aging housing stock inside the city may be its salvation in terms of dispersing the high concentrations of S. 8, since often it's not economically viable slumlords to renovate these properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati