Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 8,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD249 View Post
My wife and I have an 18-month-old daughter and we're probably going to try for kid number two next year after all the dust has settled from moving. Yes, schools are a very important concern for us, chiefly for the sake of our kid(s)' education.

Washington Township is our first choice, followed by Lawrence Township (as long as the middle and high schools are Fall Creek Valley and Lawrence North, not Belzer and Lawrence Central). I am not at all opposed to IPS because their magnet program is outstanding. I work with several people that live downtown and send their kids to IPS magnets and they are very happy.

What it boils down to with Pike is that I simply don't know much about it. Like I said in my OP, my wife and I have always spent the majority of our time in the northeast quadrant of the city...downtown, Broad Ripple, Castleton, etc. I don't know much at all about the south or west sides. I've heard good and bad things about Pike Township both as a place to live and as a school district, but I have very little to go on as far as personal experiences.
We recently purchased a home in the Deer Creek neighborhood in Pike Township (off 56th between Guion and Georgetown). Prior to that, we rented for two years in Pike Township after living in Fishers for three years. While we presently have no kids, they're in the short term plan, so the schools were a consideration as we made our decision to buy here. My wife teaches in Pike Township, and she enjoys the range of socioeconomic diversity she sees in her school. Our neighborhood is diverse and very laid back, and our neighbors are great. It's all about how open-minded you are - if you're not open to diversity and variety, then you probably aren't suited for township living. When I compare Pike to Lawrence and Washington, I consider them all to be fairly similar overall (in terms of what I consider to be a fairly typical middle class lifestyle - same stuff, different side of town). It sounds as though you're not closed-minded, given that you're even considering moving to another township. I honestly can't speak too much about property values, but I think we got a great deal on our house. We considered a home in Saddlebrook before we found this one, but we simply liked this home better. At the end of the day, it's about how your neighbors take care of their homes. I would be very surprised if the Saddlebrook area completely tanks in the next 10 years. There are definitely people out there who are still willing to give the townships a chance, and put in effort to make the most out of their family's experience. Bottom line - I like it here. Hope my rambling helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 8,203 times
Thanks to everyone for your input. My wife and I ultimately settled on a place in Irvington.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM

174 posts, read 181,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger0097 View Post
We recently purchased a home in the Deer Creek neighborhood in Pike Township (off 56th between Guion and Georgetown). Prior to that, we rented for two years in Pike Township after living in Fishers for three years. While we presently have no kids, they're in the short term plan, so the schools were a consideration as we made our decision to buy here. My wife teaches in Pike Township, and she enjoys the range of socioeconomic diversity she sees in her school. Our neighborhood is diverse and very laid back, and our neighbors are great. It's all about how open-minded you are - if you're not open to diversity and variety, then you probably aren't suited for township living. When I compare Pike to Lawrence and Washington, I consider them all to be fairly similar overall (in terms of what I consider to be a fairly typical middle class lifestyle - same stuff, different side of town). It sounds as though you're not closed-minded, given that you're even considering moving to another township. I honestly can't speak too much about property values, but I think we got a great deal on our house. We considered a home in Saddlebrook before we found this one, but we simply liked this home better. At the end of the day, it's about how your neighbors take care of their homes. I would be very surprised if the Saddlebrook area completely tanks in the next 10 years. There are definitely people out there who are still willing to give the townships a chance, and put in effort to make the most out of their family's experience. Bottom line - I like it here. Hope my rambling helps!
Hi Ranger, can you recommend any apartments in the Pike area. We are thinking of moving to Indy for the conservative values and the fact that they threw out common core despite what the G told them. Prior we were in Florida which due to massive immigration no longer speaks English and most jobs are cash which we do not like. We like Nashville very much but have been told that Indy is excellent. I am orig from NY which is also destroyed now due to liberal policy, thousands are fleeing daily, hence there ridiculous business tax free zones which are a joke.

A realtor I found has totally recommended Fishers so we decided to rent for 6 months first before spending a couple hundred K. I am seeing beautiful homes in the Pike area as well I believe.

Overall I think Indy is the better choice for 4 seasons and raising children, after all its all about family in the end.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM

143 posts, read 237,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD249 View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input. My wife and I ultimately settled on a place in Irvington.
Welcome to the neighborhood! I lived in Irvington for the first 4 years of my life and recently moved back.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
I live in Pike, while my siblings live in Carmel and Fishers. They have just as many problems with bad teachers and bullies. We chose to live here because of the diversity. Our neighborhood has African-American, European, Chinese, and Mexican families. I probably missed some. Everyone talks to each other, watches out for the neighborhood kids, and calls to pass on info if they see trouble. My kid goes to a continuous calendar school which is based on a lottery system. We love it here and have no intention of following the white flight outside 465. There is a difference in some of the areas inside Pike when it comes to crime, so check that out on the police website. My neighborhood borders a huge retirement community and is very peaceful. Some spots are not so lucky. Do your homework and you can find affordable housing, a great community, and be in an area close to Eagle Creek Park, downtown, and many parks. When it comes to schools, if one is involved and communicates with the teacher, it will be a better experience. No matter where you live, your kid may get a bad teacher. Even the best school systems have them. There are a few Montessori schools, High Ability classes in Pike, and lottery schools that can improve a kid's chances of a good education. Whatever you chose, don't be afraid of people just because they look "inner city" which is a code word for some people. This is firmly a middle class area, and a suburb. It is not 'inner' in any way. You will find parents who care about their community and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis