Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,880,864 times

Advertisements

What's your take on how all of the farm land is being developed into housing subdivisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM

79 posts, read 463,489 times
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky.

They are just turning it into another suburban hell.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 AM

My dad still tells me how he moved out there from the County Line Rd/U.S. 31 area back in 1977 because he wanted to get away from the traffic and madness. Of course he's not happy to see downtown Indianapolis spreading outwards.

What we don't understand is why everyone wants to move out here. I've heard people say "they want to live in the country". What they don't seem to understand is it's only country until so many houses are erected, then it's no longer the country.

Being this was my stomping ground I'd love to come back but I don't know if I can justify paying the already astronomical property taxes.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Of course he's not happy to see downtown Indianapolis spreading outwards.
This is the best thing happening for the city. The tract homes however are not "downtown" spreading out.. That is the suburbs moving in on Indianapolis. Not to say that Marion Co. as a whole should be a complete city environment, but the curvy suburban neighborhoods are just really poor developments and use of land.

The fact that Downtown is spreading past its original boundaries (NSE&W streets) is HUGE for the city as a whole. It means safer nearby neighborhoods, more businesses, better walkability/pedestrian safety. It will be amazing to see the near south side of downtown really take off once the stadium and other proposed projects are finished. The near eastside will hopefully get a big push once the Market St. Ramp is removed and the MSA site is developed.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
This is the best thing happening for the city. The tract homes however are not "downtown" spreading out.. That is the suburbs moving in on Indianapolis. Not to say that Marion Co. as a whole should be a complete city environment, but the curvy suburban neighborhoods are just really poor developments and use of land.
How is it not downtown spreading outwards?

I know a few that moved out here to get out of downtown.

Traffic has increased. At one time Stop 11 Rd was a straight shot from Shelbyville to Emerson, no stop signs or lights. Southport was almost identical.

There's been a huge abundance of shopping malls and such that's popped up over the last 15 years. You used to have to go towards inner Indy or Greenwood for shopping. Now Emerson and Southport has a little of everything. I still remember when that area was just the gas station on the corner, a vacant house caddy corner from there and a barn where the Meijers now is.

Plus doesn't the abundance of houses popping up like rows of corn lessen the value of the other older homes nearby? When do you think the section 8 folks will start making their way out here?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
How is it not downtown spreading outwards?

I know a few that moved out here to get out of downtown.

Traffic has increased. At one time Stop 11 Rd was a straight shot from Shelbyville to Emerson, no stop signs or lights. Southport was almost identical.

There's been a huge abundance of shopping malls and such that's popped up over the last 15 years. You used to have to go towards inner Indy or Greenwood for shopping. Now Emerson and Southport has a little of everything. I still remember when that area was just the gas station on the corner, a vacant house caddy corner from there and a barn where the Meijers now is.

Plus doesn't the abundance of houses popping up like rows of corn lessen the value of the other older homes nearby? When do you think the section 8 folks will start making their way out here?

What I'm saying is that suburbs being built on the outskirts of Marion county is not a result of the Downtown development boom. I'm talking about people moving back into the center city and Downtown expanding and becoming a better/safer place for people to live.

The stronger the center of this city is the better Indianapolis will be as a whole.

There is a theory that the more and more people move back to the actual city of indianapolis the outlying suburbs will be come the "ghettos" of Indianapolis.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 AM

10 posts, read 34,494 times
I'm new to the area relocated from Colorado and we went thru the same thing about 7-10 years ago. Just a warning please do not let this happen. After the housing comes all of the shopping centers. It is terrible it got so bad in Colorado that we have the same Grocery store every 3 stop lights and this killed the housing market out there.They are building on every peice of land that they can get there hands on pushing the people who have horses and farmland further and further away from the locals and forcing them out of there land by buying out surrounding homes, and with the new shopping center comes things like Liquor stores and Pawn Shops.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnorris5150 View Post
They are building on every peice of land that they can get there hands on pushing the people who have horses and farmland further and further away from the locals and forcing them out of there land by buying out surrounding homes...
Talk to the farmers who's eyes light up with $$$ signs when some land developer finally offers them what they want for their land.

The Mr. Farmer takes an early retirement and heads south to Florida while Marion Co. residents prepare to reach out their window to shake their neighbor's hands.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Talk to the farmers who's eyes light up with $$$ signs when some land developer finally offers them what they want for their land.

The Mr. Farmer takes an early retirement and heads south to Florida while Marion Co. residents prepare to reach out their window to shake their neighbor's hands.
Unfortunately they are building that densely in the outskirts of Marion Co. Winding suburb style neighborhoods are a completely inefficient way of using land. Sprawl kills.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 PM

17 posts, read 35,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
There is a theory that the more and more people move back to the actual city of indianapolis the outlying suburbs will be come the "ghettos" of Indianapolis.
They already look like ghettos to me ... very depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis