Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,760 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I will be moving to the Indianapolis area in a few months. We have been a few times to look at homes in the Speedway, Avon, Clermont area. We found a house we loved in Avon, then found we needed to have a home in Marion County to work for the County....Anyways...we are looking for a great established neighborhood in Marion County. We are a young family with FOUR dogs, so we need a pretty laid back neighborhood I would say

My dad owns a home in Speedway that he lives in during the month of May, he works for one of the Indy teams. He has been helping a bit, but we dont know much about anyside other than the West side. We are from Northern Virginia so it is a long drive to come up there and we were hoping to get some feedback from some natives!

Any suggestions would be great, include zip codes they save my life when it comes to searching. Thanks!!

Also I teach private swim lessons any info on indoor pools in Indianapolis area would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 05:47 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
To raise a family I would recommend the south side. Either Perry or Decatur Twps. The southeast twp has higher taxes. We lived in Perry and loved it.
The people are very friendly but I have to warn you that if you are planning to leave four dogs barking in your back yard all day you are going to have problems in Marion County.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,169 times
Lived in Perry, moved to Decatur. Both are excellent. Perry is a bit more expensive. But both are friendly and the best of Indianapolis in my opinion!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Heck, throw in Lawrence (in the Lawrence north school district), or Washington Twp on the northside.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Coming from Northern VA, I would not recommend south side of Indy, you wouldn't like it, trust me. I'd say Washington Township. Also check out Eagle Creek area and Nora. Best way to look for houses in Indy is to go to removed, click on "For Home Buyers & Sellers", click on "find a Property", then pick Marion county, and from there you can pick which township you're interested in, it's a very nice website and gives you access to all the homes on the market.

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2006 at 05:59 AM..

Old 01-07-2007, 02:18 PM

32 posts, read 155,237 times
If you want laid back and nice schools, and I see you need to stay inside marion county, the only place reasonable with good schools is Acton, It is in the very southeastern tip of the county and it is very rural with small town atmosphere, it is in franklin township, which is said to be the highest taxed area, but from speaking with customers all the time, I have found that in that area it is not any worse than some other areas around marion county. Schools are great and people are friendly and laid back. Dogs and family, would fit right in.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,444 times
Default Moving to Indy

I would love to know if you ever moved to Indy and settled on a home. I would be happy to help if you haven't

Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Why happy?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB73IN View Post
If you want laid back and nice schools, and I see you need to stay inside marion county, the only place reasonable with good schools is Acton, It is in the very southeastern tip of the county and it is very rural with small town atmosphere, it is in franklin township, which is said to be the highest taxed area, but from speaking with customers all the time, I have found that in that area it is not any worse than some other areas around marion county. Schools are great and people are friendly and laid back. Dogs and family, would fit right in.
I will agree Acton is a nice place, but be prepared to pay out the nose for property taxes, plus everyone and their mother and brother and sister too is moving that direction which in turn means more of the former farmland is being turned into housing projects....Acton used to be a small town where everyone knew everyone, now there's people we don't even know....

Old 11-30-2007, 07:32 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Coming from Northern VA, I would not recommend south side of Indy, you wouldn't like it, trust me. I'd say Washington Township. Also check out Eagle Creek area and Nora. .
I have to agree that for good school districts and a safe area you can't go wrong with the Northern part of Indy. The area around 86th st has some really nice neighborhoods. Eagle creek is lovely too but you may end up outside of Marion county. Not sure of that one though.
If you have a chance to visit the area I'd drive up to 86th st and drive along it. There is a huge established neighborhood just north of St Vincent's hospital that is very laid back and family friendly. I can't think of the name at the moment. Washington Township is known to have good schools. The more expensive homes in that area tend to cluster around College and along Meridian. I wouldn't look at homes too close to downtown or on the southside but a visit whould probably help you decide if either are appealing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis