Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 AM

46 posts, read 151,754 times

Advertisements

1. How do Avon public schools compare to Zionsville and Carmel schools? Do they hold a candle to the northern schools? Please some facts: quality of teaching, number of students per class, available programs and curriculum, % of students that make it to college.

2. Is there other access to avon beside west washington street? Having to drive through that route, specially at night seems a big let down in terms of safety.

3. Do Avon has a sportcenter/natatorium like the one in Plainfield?

4. Is there an area in avon that you can call the center of the town (that you can use as a reference to visit and get to know the area)?

I would like to get to know Avon a little bit better but do not know what places to visit. There are tons of commercial development but not a place that I have found that give me a sense of community? IS there such a place in Avon?

The idea of living relatively close to Downtown seems attractive. However the roads connecting to Indy are in bad shape, slow traffic and not such a nice view. I am sure it has nothing to do with Avon itself. Those area I can guess are still Marion County. Is there any plans to improve the access to avon/plainfiel area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 AM

50 posts, read 69,516 times
Yes they are upgrading I-465 to add more lanes. When the Super Bowl comes to Indy there will be alot of people flying in on the west side so most of the cities upgrades are on the west side.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,746,028 times
Hi! I will do my best
1) Avon schools- My kids are in Avon schools and we have been very pleased. As a former teacher, I have seen some wonderful things in many different ways. I even spent some time substitute teaching within the Avon schools so I was able to see how they were run from the inside. I would start with the Avon Community School Corp website: Avon Community Schools - Index and then do some comparisons on the State Department of Ed site: Indiana Department of Education Now, recently we voted on a referendum to give the schools more money, because their funding has seriously been cut. Unfortunately, the proposal didn't pass, and as a result the schols have had to make some big cuts.

2) Washington Street is the easiest way to get from Avon to downtown and back. I love the area that curves around the zoo, white river, the Eitlejorg, etc. There are other routes if you have concerns (like taking 70 perhaps) but I have never had a problem on Washington.

3) Plainfield's aquatic center is awesome, and we like to go visit their water park. Avon doesn't have one yet, but they are just finishing up construction on a YMCA, which will be nice. We also have wonderful parks. Including a new park with a splash pad, concert shell and meeting space/building.

4) Avon is a "new" town, it only became Avon in 1995, so there is no old, town square type of area. We have a lot of strip shopping areas, unfortunately. I would consider the intersection of Dan Jones and Rockville Rd. or perhaps 267 and Rockville to be our "center". Now, there was talk of making the intersection of 267 and Rockville rd a sort of "Gateway" to the town, they were going to redevelop the area to make it more pedestrian and bike friendly, I even saw the plan at one point, but I havent' heard muc about it since and can't find it right now on the Avon web site: Town of Avon, Indiana / Town Homepage

Whew, I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. I like it here in Avon, I like that I can easily travel to other areas when I want to also. PLease feel free to ask if you have other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis