Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,441 times

Advertisements

Pike has International Baccalaureate status. It has amazing facilities. It also has **gasp** people from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds. It is incredibly diverse. Racially and socioeconomically diverse school districts never have as great of test scores--many students at Pike are speaking English as a second or third language. It has a solid black middle class population, and, yes, some of the ghetto culture. The academic infrastructure is there so that a child with committed parents who takes accelerated classes will no doubt flourish. The outer areas of Pike Township (mostly outside I-465 beltway) are incredibly wealthy, giving the district a strong tax base for school funding, even if many of those wealthy families no longer send their kids to Pike School. One thing it will not have much of is the Stepford wife/country club culture you'll see in Zionsville and Carmel. For some people, these characteristics may be more important. For all those who say that Pike is filled with bad apples, keep in mind all the local media attention over the Carmel basketball team, in which four members committed a series of sexual assaults. But it Carmel, the influential parents tried to cover the whole episode up, making the media frenzy even worse as a result. If that happened in Pike, those kids would be expelled at the drop of a hat.

I would be more than willing to send my kids to Pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM

369 posts, read 681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Just unbelievable...something tells ME that you may spend an inordinate amount of time with your head firmly lodged in your armpit, getting soundbites and things from cable tv, and then emerging to give your supposedly 'enlightened' take on 'what's wrong with black America'...or in this case 'why is Pike High School ghetto?'
I don't care what culture it is, having eight out of ten kids born to single mothers isn't ever going to be a recipe for success for any group of people in the United States of America.

Quote:
Sitting like some fat and sassy king on a chat forum, dispensing a gaggle of BS stereotypes based on your own fears and prejudices is not good...the porblem with people who think like yourself is that you come across like some ersatz latter-day Archie Bunker, telling all who willl listen 'I'm tellin' ya, Meathead...them coloreds is the devil!'...
Did you even click the link I posted? There is a link to a verifiable news article from the Indianapolis Star. It isn't a "BS stereotype." Listen to some music on 100.9 or 96.3. Don't tell me that the message, directed to the 13-25 year old population, is something to be applauded. Hey, if you like the idea of eight out of ten babies in a certain culture being born out-of-wedlock, by all means, encourage your female relatives, friends, and daughters (if you have any) to go out and get pregnant and have a few kids by a few different men.

Quote:
I am thankful that I had two (yes TWO) hard-working, educated, loving parents, who raised myself and my siblings to work hard, achieve, succeed, and basically not live like a stereotype...but gee, according to you, if one black person is 'like that', then they must ALL be 'like that'... but if you actually took time to pull your head from your armpit, and realize that you can't paint all blacks with one brush, you might change your mind...
Where did I say "all black people...." I gave an opinion, it is one based on facts. Black Expo had many people shot. Some are claiming cops shot the black kids... who knows. However, there have been other events downtown that were attended by a majority of white people. Where were all the people shot during the FFA convention? What about Gencon? Again, it is a culture problem. If you want to get your political correct panties in a bunch, go ahead. I posted the problem as I see it: A poor moral message from black rap and hip-hop artists, somewhat supported by factual issues even the Black Expo people are worried about: Black youth violence and out-of-wedlock births in the black community. I do stand behind my comment about too many in the black community aren't doing enough. The cops beat a black kid and they protested all over the city. Three young black people were killed over a video game, yet the ministers weren't there. There was no walking protests around the city-county building. Why not? Why aren't they doing protests around Wishard, handing out condoms or information on birth control?

Quote:
But no---that's too easy...you'd rather sit here and spout a bunch of nonsense, and act like you're revealing a Lost Gospel Of Jesus to an uninformed populace...if you want to act like a petulant high school gossip and spread a load of manure, that's your business...but realize that there are a LOT of black folk who are NOT ANYTHING like what you allege here, and are like that EVERY DAY...and that's up to and including every black person in Pike Township, and every black kid at Pike High School, whom you do a great disservice with the utter crapola you've spread here
What "nonsense" did I post? Are you saying that Black Expo and the Indianapolis Star are lying about the birth rate of African-American/Black babies in Indiana? Are you saying that the songs by black rap and hip-hop music artists don't contain references to loose sex and violence? I never said that every single person does x, y, and z. The problem is perception, and that perception is backed up by facts. If you want to bury your head in the sand, in the name of the All Holy Political Correctness, that is your right.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original message, but the acts of a good majority of a certain culture and people are giving others a perception of a culture that thinks as sex as something that isn't a big deal, that it should be done with a lot of people, and the negatives that come with sex aren't a big issue. This perception is supported by the report put out by Indiana Black Expo: Almost eight out of ten black/African-American babies born in Indiana are to an unmarried woman. Anyone can also listen to black hip-hop and rap artists on 100.9 and 96.3 and understand the message is sex, sex, sex, and if you listen to the unedited, non-radio songs on the CDs: violence, violence, violence, gun, gun, gun.

As such, folks are going to view black people with a certain vision, based upon facts. If you don't like that, maybe you can help try to prevent kids having kids, or do something like work as a reserve police officer in majority black neighborhoods so you can help get guns off the street. wh15395 seemed to get my point. I know it isn't politically correct, but it is what it is, based on facts. And yes, those same facts show that not all black people are the same. Obviously two out of ten babies born to an African-American mother are born to a married couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheller1704 View Post
We should not be only focusing on black kids. Ghetto doesn't necessarily mean black -which is a huge stereotype coming from ravekid. I "like" your post captaincatfish.
I never said it was confined to black. Stereotype? What stereotype? Are you also saying that the Indiana Black Expo and Indianapolis Star are lying about the marriage statistics when it comes to the parents of African-American babies? Almost 40% of all babies born in Indiana are born to parents who are not married. As bad as that is, when you look at the number of black babies born to unmarried parents, it is almost 80%!! Trust me, when white people catch up (and it will likely be a certain class of white people: low income, working poor), white schools that have a high % of that class will also be considered "ghetto" or whatever.

I am not defending the perception, just trying to give a reason for it. If folks want their kids going to school with a subset of the population, be it any race, religion, etc., that is known for an 80% out-of-wedlock birth rate, more power too them!! Some folks don't want that. Calling it "ghetto" might be a bit harsh, but that is the word the OP used, not me.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
I don't care what culture it is, having eight out of ten kids born to single mothers isn't ever going to be a recipe for success for any group of people in the United States of America.

Did you even click the link I posted? There is a link to a verifiable news article from the Indianapolis Star. It isn't a "BS stereotype." Listen to some music on 100.9 or 96.3. Don't tell me that the message, directed to the 13-25 year old population, is something to be applauded. Hey, if you like the idea of eight out of ten babies in a certain culture being born out-of-wedlock, by all means, encourage your female relatives, friends, and daughters (if you have any) to go out and get pregnant and have a few kids by a few different men.

Where did I say "all black people...." I gave an opinion, it is one based on facts. Black Expo had many people shot. Some are claiming cops shot the black kids... who knows. However, there have been other events downtown that were attended by a majority of white people. Where were all the people shot during the FFA convention? What about Gencon? Again, it is a culture problem. If you want to get your political correct panties in a bunch, go ahead. I posted the problem as I see it: A poor moral message from black rap and hip-hop artists, somewhat supported by factual issues even the Black Expo people are worried about: Black youth violence and out-of-wedlock births in the black community. I do stand behind my comment about too many in the black community aren't doing enough. The cops beat a black kid and they protested all over the city. Three young black people were killed over a video game, yet the ministers weren't there. There was no walking protests around the city-county building. Why not? Why aren't they doing protests around Wishard, handing out condoms or information on birth control?

What "nonsense" did I post? Are you saying that Black Expo and the Indianapolis Star are lying about the birth rate of African-American/Black babies in Indiana? Are you saying that the songs by black rap and hip-hop music artists don't contain references to loose sex and violence? I never said that every single person does x, y, and z. The problem is perception, and that perception is backed up by facts. If you want to bury your head in the sand, in the name of the All Holy Political Correctness, that is your right.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original message, but the acts of a good majority of a certain culture and people are giving others a perception of a culture that thinks as sex as something that isn't a big deal, that it should be done with a lot of people, and the negatives that come with sex aren't a big issue. This perception is supported by the report put out by Indiana Black Expo: Almost eight out of ten black/African-American babies born in Indiana are to an unmarried woman. Anyone can also listen to black hip-hop and rap artists on 100.9 and 96.3 and understand the message is sex, sex, sex, and if you listen to the unedited, non-radio songs on the CDs: violence, violence, violence, gun, gun, gun.

As such, folks are going to view black people with a certain vision, based upon facts. If you don't like that, maybe you can help try to prevent kids having kids, or do something like work as a reserve police officer in majority black neighborhoods so you can help get guns off the street. wh15395 seemed to get my point. I know it isn't politically correct, but it is what it is, based on facts. And yes, those same facts show that not all black people are the same. Obviously two out of ten babies born to an African-American mother are born to a married couple.

I never said it was confined to black. Stereotype? What stereotype? Are you also saying that the Indiana Black Expo and Indianapolis Star are lying about the marriage statistics when it comes to the parents of African-American babies? Almost 40% of all babies born in Indiana are born to parents who are not married. As bad as that is, when you look at the number of black babies born to unmarried parents, it is almost 80%!! Trust me, when white people catch up (and it will likely be a certain class of white people: low income, working poor), white schools that have a high % of that class will also be considered "ghetto" or whatever.

I am not defending the perception, just trying to give a reason for it. If folks want their kids going to school with a subset of the population, be it any race, religion, etc., that is known for an 80% out-of-wedlock birth rate, more power too them!! Some folks don't want that. Calling it "ghetto" might be a bit harsh, but that is the word the OP used, not me.
You can throw out all the lofty research, and links, and articles that you wish...but the fact is, you seem to have a problem with a certian segment of the black population---a fact you continually harp on, and try to cover up with codespeak...

Political correctness, my suffering 50-something black hind-end...I don't have any use for PC, and I get sick of hearing that term thrown about like some verbal frisbee...the fact of the matter is, just like you presented your 'facts and opinions', I responded in kind with mine...

I understand some of your fears and trepidations, but you stray too close to the realm of those who use that old axiom 'one acts that way, therefore they ALL do at some point' and that's where the 'broad brush' theory comes in...that would be as bad as me roaming around, muttering about 'the white man this and the white man that', knowing good and damn well that EVERY white person in America is not some racist jackwagon, and that they are to blame for all my ills, which they are most definitely NOT...

I am not going to view whites with some 'certain vision based upon facts', and I would hope that a lot more whites will bury the ghosts of the past, and try to work together with us to form mutual, viable solutions to societal problems...

Old 08-21-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
...that would be as bad as me roaming around, muttering about 'the white man this and the white man that', knowing good and damn well that EVERY white person in America is not some racist jackwagon, and that they are to blame for all my ills, which they are most definitely NOT...
Yes, but if 80% of white folks were like x, in a certain area, then you better believe that you saying "the white man in blah blah is blah blah blah." is acceptable if your statement is support by facts, then there is nothing wrong with it. If I had a stat that eight out of ten white people in Alabama were members of the KKK, then it is OK to say "well, there are a lot of racist white folks down in Alabama." I agree that if someone asked a question, similar to the OP here, "Alabama a racist, white trash mecca?" isn't the best way to put it, but if 80% of white folks were racist and trashy, then the answer would be "Yes." It isn't a "stereotype" or name calling, it is a simple fact. The OP used the term ghetto, which usually is indicative of a certain culture, race, class, whatever, that lives by a certain lifestyle. We all can read that is code for "Is Pike high school full of black people who commit crimes, carry guns, commit acts of violence, sell drugs, have babies out-of-wedlock while in school, etc.?" Not having facts for Pike High School, I can't answer that, but I can understand where the OP is coming from. I don't blast someone from being racist, homophobic, etc. if they want to avoid a certain culture based upon factual data that said group of people are living, and it is known that such lifestyle is considered a social ill.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
You can throw out all the lofty research, and links, and articles that you wish...but the fact is, you seem to have a problem with a certian segment of the black population---a fact you continually harp on, and try to cover up with codespeak...
Oh, and I do have a problem with a certain segments of the population, but I don't confine it to any one race. I am sick and tired of the layabout and bum segment demanding the government take more and more of my money so they can sit around in their taxpayer subsidized apartments, with subsidized day care, eating their subsidized food, and having their kids feed at schools with TWO subsidized meals. I am also sick and tired of the political elite in this city demanding more and more of my money so they can give their friends and family cushy, nice paying jobs at these so called "public-private partnerships", construction projects, etc..

Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I don't know Ravekid, the thing I'm sick about right now is police officers killing people driving drunk, only to have the test thrown out and get away with murder.

But if you want to continue in your world of statistics, by all means, have at it.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't know Ravekid, the thing I'm sick about right now is police officers killing people driving drunk, only to have the test thrown out and get away with murder.

But if you want to continue in your world of statistics, by all means, have at it.
I am sick of that stuff as well. Check out the Photography is Not a Crime blog, Photography is Not a Crime — It’s a First Amendment Right, or Copblock.org. Thing is, too many people won't do anything about the corrupt cops. I went to a hiring process up in Hamilton Co. with a very nice department working in a very nice part of the county. A job that after six years, pays $55K/year, plus a company car (take home police vehicle), plus over-time, plus the ability to work off-duty. It is easily a job with benefits totaling $60K/year after your sixth year. They had 150 show up for the physical, and only around 100 can get pass that to take the written tests. Of those 150, I estimate 10-15 were from Indiana, outside the metro area, another 10 were likely from out-of-state.

So, in one of the worst economies in recent history, for a job that pays $60K after six years on, in a metro area with around 1,500,000 people, only 115ish local citizens decide to actually apply for the job. And folks wonder why we have issues with policing in this country.

Also, you said police "officers." What other cops have driven drunk and killed people? How many Columbus cops in your area have driven drunk and killed citizens? We don't get all that much Columbus news up here in the Indy area. Do you have articles of others? I am interested in reading up on all these drunk driving cops who kill people.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Chill Rave ... it was a typo. Brizzi has blood on his hands on this one. He's not running for re-election this go round is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
I am sick of that stuff as well. Check out the Photography is Not a Crime blog, Photography is Not a Crime — It’s a First Amendment Right, or Copblock.org. Thing is, too many people won't do anything about the corrupt cops. I went to a hiring process up in Hamilton Co. with a very nice department working in a very nice part of the county. A job that after six years, pays $55K/year, plus a company car (take home police vehicle), plus over-time, plus the ability to work off-duty. It is easily a job with benefits totaling $60K/year after your sixth year. They had 150 show up for the physical, and only around 100 can get pass that to take the written tests. Of those 150, I estimate 10-15 were from Indiana, outside the metro area, another 10 were likely from out-of-state.

So, in one of the worst economies in recent history, for a job that pays $60K after six years on, in a metro area with around 1,500,000 people, only 115ish local citizens decide to actually apply for the job. And folks wonder why we have issues with policing in this country.

Also, you said police "officers." What other cops have driven drunk and killed people? How many Columbus cops in your area have driven drunk and killed citizens? We don't get all that much Columbus news up here in the Indy area. Do you have articles of others? I am interested in reading up on all these drunk driving cops who kill people.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Chill Rave ... it was a typo. Brizzi has blood on his hands on this one. He's not running for re-election this go round is he?

I am not persuaded that Brizzi can take the blame for this one. He wasn't at the fatal crash scene and did not direct the investigation that day to my knowledge. The investigation appears to have been literally 'blown in the trenches.'

Perhaps the officer who was driving that cruiser was working with distinguished French scientists on how to properly pour champagne:

"French scientists work out how to pour the perfect glass of champagne - just tilt the glass

Through exhaustive testing the team discovered that pouring champagne at an angle and down the side of the glass is best for preserving its taste and fizz.

Full Story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...ilt-glass.html

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 08-22-2010 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 AM

I've been doing that with beer for decades ... wow, I thought that tilting one's glass was common knowlege, non?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I am not persuaded that Brizzi can take the blame for this one. He wasn't at the fatal crash scene and did not direct the investigation that day to my knowledge. The investigation appears to have been literally 'blown in the trenches.'

Perhaps the officer who was driving that cruiser was working with distinguished French scientists on how to properly pour champagne:

"French scientists work out how to pour the perfect glass of champagne - just tilt the glass

Through exhaustive testing the team discovered that pouring champagne at an angle and down the side of the glass is best for preserving its taste and fizz.

Full Story:
French scientists work out how to pour the perfect glass of champagne: tilt the glass | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana