Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:21 PM

550 posts, read 3,267,055 times

Advertisements

Sweet! You're all awesome! No, we haven't visited yet. My husband is getting ready to do some rotations in both cities at all the hospitals. When he's there, he'll get an idea of which programs he likes the best and hopefully be able to go out and around town a bit.

Oh, one thing I'm curious about, are there any ride share or car share programs in either city? We're really not looking forward to renting him a car for a 3 months.

And the snow thing is a definite plus. Living in AZ for the last 3 years has killed us. We were watching South Park the other night and it was snowing. (Yeah, I know, cartoon snow. Sheesh.) We looked at each other and both said, "Man, I miss snow" at the same time. Yes...we're spastic...I know... On that vein of thought, any places to snowboard in either city?

Last edited by diggitydot; 06-03-2007 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 02:25 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
Sweet! You're all awesome! No, we haven't visited yet. My husband is getting ready to do some rotations in both cities at all the hospitals. When he's there, he'll get an idea of which programs he likes the best and hopefully be able to go out and around town a bit.

Oh, one thing I'm curious about, are there any ride share or car share programs in either city? We're really not looking forward to renting him a car for a 3 months.

And the snow thing is a definite plus. Living in AZ for the last 3 years has killed us. We were watching South Park the other night and it was snowing. (Yeah, I know, cartoon snow. Sheesh.) We looked at each other and both said, "Man, I miss snow" at the same time. Yes...we're spastic...I know... On that vein of thought, any places to snowboard in either city?
Most people I know go up to Michigan to ski or snowboard. I wouldn't mind doing it one time, but I'm just too lazy.

I don't know about ride shares or car shares, I've got my own. But I'm looking for a different one and I'd sell you mine if you wanted, don't know when you're going to be up here though. I've also got a motorcycle for sale as well, the only problem with that is you can't really ride it in the winter.

I can tell you one thing though, Parkview Dupont is a very nice hospital and they are adding on to it. It's big now, but man it's getting bigger. There is another one I think It's Lutheran it's gigantic, they even have valet parking.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 PM

We were actually considering buying a super cheap car or motorcycle for him to use while he's up there in August, September, and October. Does it get way too cold to ride a motorcycle in October? He rides one here in AZ back and forth to school or his rotations that are on our side of the valley. (People down here drive like utter morons so I hate him driving it on the other side of the valley where it would take me 2 hours to get to him if there were an emergency of some type.)

If you don't mind, Ronzou, would PM me with the particulars on the vehicles?

Last edited by diggitydot; 06-03-2007 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Because "forth" really isn't spelled "for"...

Old 06-03-2007, 02:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Get a cheap car! Front wheel drive should do it for you in the winter. There's a small-ish ski area in Valparaiso too. You'll get snow for sure in South Bend! The toll road can be pretty trecherous in winter.

South Bend Chocolate Company chocolatess are deeee-lish! The chocolate covered oreos and chocolate covered rice crispy treats... yum!

Why does "the Fort" make it sound trashy?? When I was in college in North Funchester, we called it Fort Fun! Is that any better? Don't be defensive. I always tell people I live in India-NO-place ... nothing better than a riled up hoosier!

I'm such a Chicago-phile, so you can pretty much see where I'll steer you!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:22 PM

We've only visited Chicago once. And that was during the really ugly heat wave in June last year. (Something like 105F and 80%-90% humidity.) Very cool city, though. We stayed at a hotel near the lake and about a block north of Michigan Avenue. (Near the Wrigley Building.) Very cool city, though. I totally fell in love with the parks and Museum Campus.

Are September and October considered "winter" there? I guess I'm just used to a longer Fall season...even in the NW the weather didn't usually turn seriously nasty until late October/early November. In AZ there's really only two seasons, Warm and Blindingly Hot, so maybe I've lost track of what constitutes "normal" weather.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
We were actually considering buying a super cheap car or motorcycle for him to use while he's up there in August, September, and October. Does it get way too cold to ride a motorcycle in October? He rides one here in AZ back and forth to school or his rotations that are on our side of the valley. (People down here drive like utter morons so I hate him driving it on the other side of the valley where it would take me 2 hours to get to him if there were an emergency of some type.)

If you don't mind, Ronzou, would PM me with the particulars on the vehicles?
Okay I just PM'd you the information.

As for riding in October, it's chilly, but as long as you wear the clothes for it, unless it snows, I still see people ride.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Get a cheap car! Front wheel drive should do it for you in the winter. There's a small-ish ski area in Valparaiso too. You'll get snow for sure in South Bend! The toll road can be pretty trecherous in winter.

South Bend Chocolate Company chocolatess are deeee-lish! The chocolate covered oreos and chocolate covered rice crispy treats... yum!

Why does "the Fort" make it sound trashy?? When I was in college in North Funchester, we called it Fort Fun! Is that any better? Don't be defensive. I always tell people I live in India-NO-place ... nothing better than a riled up hoosier!

I'm such a Chicago-phile, so you can pretty much see where I'll steer you!
DeBrands owns South Bend Chocolate company 20 times over. Sorry Domergurl.

I just don't like it when people say "The Fort" it reminds me too much of Spanish where they put la or el in front of everything, so I call it Fort Wayne. And you know how Forts use to be, a big bunch of nothing with a bunch of mess inside. That's another reason.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Are September and October considered "winter" there? I guess I'm just used to a longer Fall season...even in the NW the weather didn't usually turn seriously nasty until late October/early November. In AZ there's really only two seasons, Warm and Blindingly Hot, so maybe I've lost track of what constitutes "normal" weather.
Last year it didn't get cold here until February.

But even on "normal" years, whatever that is, if the conditions are right and you want to ride, go right ahead.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:42 PM

Oh and also one more thing about Fort Wayne, Glenn Beck loves Fort Wayne.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Glenn Beck loves Fort Wayne.

Who is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana