Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 PM

23 posts, read 65,902 times

Advertisements

That's on the east side, which is probably a very good place to raise a family (my rents have been living there for 13 years and the worst criminals there were two teenaged boys acting out because their dad was going to die of brain cancer), and close to the Heritage Trail, which is a very nice pedestrian pathway that takes you from ISU to just east of Rose Hulman. In general there isn't a whole lot of trashy, dilapidated houses east of 25th Street. With all the meth busts they've been doing the past couple years, you only need to watch out in the residential neighborhoods immediately east of ISU, downtown, and Farrington Grove Historical District and west of about 16th or 17th Street, and if you're only going to be there for 6-12 mos, you probably won't ever see the isolated pockets of total white trash you can find in the area.

Last edited by Badlands17; 11-15-2008 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM

31 posts, read 117,472 times
It's not easy finding a place to rent from another state.

We need a 3 bedroom, since we are a large family and there seems to be a law that only 4 can have a 2bedroom. We are bringing our pet, cause the move is hard enough on the kids. I find places that sound great, only to find there 3 bedroom is already gone.

What about these locations -
N 14th ST
Woodgate East
Maple ST
Greenbriar Village Apartments - 5317 E Greenbriar Dr

Or any other leads? Or is there a local site for Vigo county/Terre Haute that would have listings I can check?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 AM

308 posts, read 1,041,949 times
I would definitely vote Woodgate... unless something has changed, that used to be one of the best locations in T.H.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 PM

23 posts, read 65,902 times
I would go with Woodgate or Maple Avenue (you're either in the Collett Park neighborhood, which is probably the northside equivalent of Farrington Grove, with old large houses and more affluent residents than the areas immediately surrounding). Here are some of the bigger complexes in the area more likely to have a 3 BR available:
http://www.thegardenquarter.com (south side)
http://www.thevillagequarter.com (east side)

Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
It's not easy finding a place to rent from another state.

We need a 3 bedroom, since we are a large family and there seems to be a law that only 4 can have a 2bedroom. We are bringing our pet, cause the move is hard enough on the kids. I find places that sound great, only to find there 3 bedroom is already gone.

What about these locations -
N 14th ST
Woodgate East
Maple ST
Greenbriar Village Apartments - 5317 E Greenbriar Dr

Or any other leads? Or is there a local site for Vigo county/Terre Haute that would have listings I can check?
I read your posts and was wondering how you and your family are finding Terre Haute? My husband, son and I are relocating to the area this month! He is up there now searching for a place to live. Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 PM

31 posts, read 117,472 times
Quote:
I read your posts and was wondering how you and your family are finding Terre Haute? My husband, son and I are relocating to the area this month! He is up there now searching for a place to live. Any suggestions?
We are enjoying ourselves. It's nice to live nearish to a larger city with museums and being history buffs the husband and I, we are enjoying a state that actually has some history to it! Weather isn't half bad ether (being people who enjoy seasons but like the winter one short). It all depends where and what you are coming from. We lived in a crummy, small, dump of a town.... so this is pretty nice.

We live in the south near all the shopping and really enjoy living here. We are close to the shopping, groceries, restaurants. We live in an area that happened to flood, so our home is all new inside, which is another big plus. I didn't like any of the homes from the north, and we are paying less down south than we were getting north (presumably cause we aren't near the colleges).

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We are enjoying ourselves. It's nice to live nearish to a larger city with museums and being history buffs the husband and I, we are enjoying a state that actually has some history to it! Weather isn't half bad ether (being people who enjoy seasons but like the winter one short). It all depends where and what you are coming from. We lived in a crummy, small, dump of a town.... so this is pretty nice.

We live in the south near all the shopping and really enjoy living here. We are close to the shopping, groceries, restaurants. We live in an area that happened to flood, so our home is all new inside, which is another big plus. I didn't like any of the homes from the north, and we are paying less down south than we were getting north (presumably cause we aren't near the colleges).
Thank you for your quick reply! I'm so glad you are all so happy
We just settled on a place in Brazil. It will only be a short drive for my husband to get to work in Terre Haute and I will be staying home with our young son. We are very big history buffs as well and are excited that there is so much history to the area!!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 PM

438 posts, read 1,360,456 times
bumping to see how both of you are liking the area? I haven't been down much since July as a one of my clients passed away and two others lost their jobs My husband is starting school at Ivy Tech here in Greencastle this fall and plans to transfer to Terre Haute in summer/fall 2010 to do the actual degree work as it's not available here and the only other option is Indianapolis, which we're not comfortable with and the cost of living in areas we'd live in is well beyond our means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana