Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 PM

17 posts, read 36,263 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Terre Haute in approximately six weeks as I just took a Federal position. I am a single male and have lived in IL all of my life. I imagine TH is similar to where I am from just from the looks of it. I would appreciate any information and recommendations on nice apartments, best areas to live, those to stay away from, etc. I would like something fairly updated, in a safe area, and will join a gym if there is not a fitness center at the complex I choose. I want a quiet lopcation since i'll be working nights and swing shift initially. I have heard good things about Heritage Trail apartments and it looks nice online but I haven't visited there yet. I am not opposed to living outside of TH, but want to be within 20 minutes of work (I'll be working at the federal prison, south side of TH). i've read good and bad and would prefer not to hear the "oh my gosh are you really moving to TH...yuck..." type of comments, because yes i really am....

Any information on property management companies, realtors, complexes that are good and those to avoid would be helpful.

thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM

40 posts, read 83,551 times
Terre Haute in general is pretty quiet. There's no such thing as traffic there. It's not the most exciting town, but I've been around the US and there's way worse. Interesting history, 4 colleges, some great neighborhoods if you know where to look. Farrington Grove area for sure if you can afford it, or south end of town generally. 13th St's a definite no, and North Terre Haute is total white trash (pretty much anywhere north of Wabash Ave is right off of jerry Springer - not trying to be arrogant here, but there's a lot of really trashy people up there, even close to Indiana State. Crime per se isn't a big problem, but white trash just isn't friendly. Meth addiction's the main problem.) If you go east down US 40, toward East Glenn and Rose Hulman and near the airport/Dobbs Park area, there's some nicer neighborhoods out that way (engineering professors, students, etc., live around there). That's also right on the National Heritage bike trail. Quiet, for sure. But I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Terre Haute's pretty much what you make of it. I grew up here and moved away and have never looked back, but it's probably got more going for it than I'm willing to admit. I lived in Illinois and parts of the South, and thought people in most of those places were generally great - Terre Haute seems cranky and sleepy and uptight by comparison, not sure why, Indiana in general is pretty friendly, Terre Haute seems hostile to me. But there's plenty of good people there once you get to know them. I think Terre Haute's main problem is getting over its public image and keeping college-educated kids there. It really lacks self-esteem, but there's no entertainment vibe, and I guess it depends on what you like do. Anyway, it's not far to places like Indy and St Louis and Chicago if you've just got to get out of town. When I think about places I've seen in the Northeast, Terre Haute takes on a new perspective.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 AM

do you know anything about particular apartment rentals? was looking at Heritage Trail or Cobblestone Crossings. there are not many listings out there and i'm having trouble finding availability. lots of junk listed, totally run down houses and parts of homes being rented. pretty scary. i have read tons and tons of negative feedback about TH and not much positive. getting discouraged and not even there yet...... i come from moline, il, not the most exciting town in the midwest either but i dont know how to compare it to TH.....

any particular apartment rentals that are nice if known would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM

148 posts, read 459,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrajo61 View Post
do you know anything about particular apartment rentals? was looking at Heritage Trail or Cobblestone Crossings. there are not many listings out there and i'm having trouble finding availability. lots of junk listed, totally run down houses and parts of homes being rented. pretty scary. i have read tons and tons of negative feedback about TH and not much positive. getting discouraged and not even there yet...... i come from moline, il, not the most exciting town in the midwest either but i dont know how to compare it to TH.....

any particular apartment rentals that are nice if known would be appreciated. thanks.
Because TH is a pretty poor town and also a college town (those often go together), there are a lot of cheap rentals in old homes, and cheap apartments near campus. Steer clear of those. There are nice apartment complexes on the east side - Heritage Trail is nice, close to shopping, close to the trail; Cobblestone is closer to the main shopping area (Honey Creek), but the traffic might be a bit worse on that side of town. Both complexes are new, so they should be in good condition. Best idea is just to visit town and see them for yourself. Good luck and welcome to Terre Haute!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,699 times
I am from Sullivan county (one county south of Vigo) and my family now lives in Terre Haute. After I graduated from ISU, we moved to New Albany for 3 years and then moved back to Terre Haute in 2005. We finally decided to stay here in 2009 (after years of me wanting to move and experience other places) and bought a house on the south end of town. Now, I am very happy we stayed. It's a safe place to live, downtown is being revitalized and looks great, wonderful place to raise a family. It is not the most exciting place, but you can choose to be miserable or not - I choose not! There ARE things to do, just subscribe to the Tribune Star and find them - they have a great "happenings" section on Fridays.

As for places to live, if you are looking for apartments only - I would recommend Cobblestone Crossing, which will make your commute less than 10 minutes to the prison. Heritage Trail might make it 20 minutes, not too bad - and they look nice (just never been in them). There are also brand-new apartments that just went up and are available out on the east end, off of 46, by the east Walmart - called Sycamore Terrace. They look VERY nice, Sycamore Terrace Apartments Apartment Rentals. I know more about Cobblestone b/c it's close and I know people who have lived there. The apartments are spacious, they have a big pool, workout facility, and community room/center. One other possiblity might be Allendale apartments, which are on south Hwy 41, about a mile north of the Cobblestone Crossing apartments. They are small, but they do have townhouses also. Cobblestone (and Sycamore Terrace) seem to have "more" going for it. Hope that helps!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM

THANK YOU. I am still waiting on a report date so I have not secured a lease. I looked at Cobblestone Crossings and some other rentals managed by Pfister Realty (they were just ok). I did not make it north to Heritage Trail. I am concerned with all the bad reviews online about Cobblestone....but the units were nice, allbeit expensive. I'll see what is available when I get an actual report date... I hope by mid July and then make a final decision. Living on the S end of town woudl sure be convenient though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana