Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 20,865 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my name is Lance and my wife and I are northerners living in FLorida for the past 10 years except for 2 years in TN. We are tired of the heat and thinking about moving to Indiana. The only place I have been to is South bend and i did like the area as I used to live in Benton Harbor MI. Can you all please tell me what you like or dislike about Indiana and where you think is the best place to live?

We are 54 & 59 and still need a decent paying job to survive so please also tell me where decent jobs would be along with a quiet but fun area.....LOLOL....not asking for much am I!?? lolol

Thank you!

:-))!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Indiana does have a lower cost of living but as to decent paying jobs - that depends on what you
are looking for as well as what type of job or career. Links below show current positions throughout
the state. As for fun areas, what type of things are you looking for?

Jobs, Employment in Indiana | Indeed.com

Jobs in Indiana. Indiana Jobs, Employment | Monster.com

Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 20,865 times
Hi baileyvpotter thank you. Just simple fun things, coffee shops, diners, movies, shopping areas places to walk and ride bicycles and walk our small dogs etc. Nothing fancy. Thank you for the job links!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 AM

I am only familiar with a few cities like South Bend, Indy, Bloomington (and the areas around those cities). Since you are
familiar with South Bend you do know that it has it's good and bad areas but has the advantage of being close to Michigan
(the lake, the orchards, the resort towns) and Chicago. Bloomington and nearby Nashville are further south and the
topography is different from up north. Then not too far there's Columbus & maybe someone more familiar it may give you
info on that city. Jobs in Bloomington are mostly service oriented unless you are fortunate enough to find one at Indiana
University. Bloomington would have much of the things on your list however it is a college town and many things are
oriented towards that age group. You can check Bloomington's website for jobs and activities. As for Indy, it is a larger
city and if you were interested you could post on the Indy forum.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Indy is much better than benton harbor. I grew up in metro detroit amd now live in carmel indiana

Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM

56 posts, read 115,537 times
Indiana still has many hot summer days, and harsh winter weather too. The farther north you are and closer to the lake, the worse the winters and the milder the summers. Southern Indiana summers rival southeastern states, it just doesn't last as long.

As for jobs, it depends on your experience and salary expectations. If you have skills, my vote would be for Indianapolis. It is the most diverse job market we have by far. Indy also misses the lake effect snow of the north. The smaller cities of Indiana are largely industrial with poor to fair paying industrial jobs for most people.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Indy is much better than benton harbor. I grew up in metro detroit amd now live in carmel indiana
Yes, but St. Joe's is better than both.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Love St. Jo Michigan but it does get crowded during the summer months (many Chicagoan's have second summer homes
there). Lovely beach, orchards, great art fair and the locals are very nice. Some nice restaurants down Red Arrow Hwy too.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 01-28-2014 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: erro

Old 01-28-2014, 03:39 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes, but St. Joe's is better than both.
Not necessarily. St. Joe is nice and quaint, but also podunk.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Not necessarily. St. Joe is nice and quaint, but also podunk.
You mean the village in Massachusetts or locality in Connecticut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana