Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 59,129 times

Advertisements

Hello folks. First time posting. As my name suggests, I not from Indiana, but will be moving to Indianapolis in June 2008. I don't have a car and need to buy a new one, but I don't know if I should go with AWD or FWD car. The car that I like is FWD, but intuitively, AWD seems to make sense. But then people tell me that a FWD with snow tires is just fine. Getting to work in any type of weather is a must for me. Interested in hearing what you guys think. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I've never owned an AWD car, always FWD and never had issues. But to each his or her own. It's pretty flat here in central Indiana, unlike in the southern part of the state where it's very hilly and maybe AWD would do better ...

Old 04-23-2007, 03:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
If you're worried about the snow, it doesn't really matter, because with Front Wheel Drive, your front tires will just spin.

If you have All Wheel Drive, then all wheels will spin if you get stuck in snow or ice.

In all seriousness, just be careful when you drive in the winter, and make sure to keep your eyes open and you shouldn't have too many problems. My car is FWD and I've never had problems.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:09 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
FWD, don't waste your money.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 PM

36 posts, read 214,126 times
My AWD(with traction control also) Acura MDX is awesome in snow, I could never go back to anything but AWD. Of course, my wife drives that and I drive the BMW with RWD in winter(it sucks in the winter).

If I had a choice, I would always go with AWD, or get something with traction control.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:03 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
We came from Alaska! and have traveled the USA thru blizzard conditions. I dont know why but we always seem to find the storm of the century.

We drive a Honda Civic. We got a set of very good winter tires and change them out twice a year. Cheap insurance and we have NEVER gotten stuck. Of course, husband is a good driver.

We have often been one of the few on the road because we had to get somewhere. Saw semis and overdriven 4WD off the road in the ditch.

So it is more often your driving skills and patience that will keep you out of the ditch and not the car. I believe the SUV is the new problem on the road because drivers expect the car to save them from bad driving.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:06 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider! View Post
Hello folks. First time posting. As my name suggests, I not from Indiana, but will be moving to Indianapolis in June 2008. I don't have a car and need to buy a new one, but I don't know if I should go with AWD or FWD car. The car that I like is FWD, but intuitively, AWD seems to make sense. But then people tell me that a FWD with snow tires is just fine. Getting to work in any type of weather is a must for me. Interested in hearing what you guys think. Thanks.
FWD is all you need here (this is not Buffalo NY, where you need winter tires and preferably an awd or 4wd vehicle for winter driving). You'll get a lower initial purchase price, better gas mileage, and lower/fewer repair bills with FWD. The choice seems pretty simple when you think about those things :-)

I think it was on Cartalk a while back that they discussed awd/4wd, and mentioned the things I just wrote above. They said something to the effect that unless you live in a snow-belt area or if you plan to do a lot of off-road driving in hilly or mountainous areas, awd and 4wd are really unnecessary expenses for most people.

With further increases in gas price coming, I'd focus on getting the most fuel efficient and reliable vehicle possible - oh and I wouldn't buy new, instead get something at least 1 year old so someone else pays the 1st year depreciation which is always the worst for any vehicle. If you plan on living in the very northern section of Indiana (perhaps Southbend), then snow tires will be a good idea, but otherwise you'll find that there isn't really enough snow to justify their purchase here either.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 59,129 times
I just want to thank everyone for their input. Given my financial constraints, the astounding price of gas and your recommendations, I will be going with an economical FWD car, which also happens to be the one I wanted to buy in the first place. Your input was much appreciated. If you have any other input, please don't hesitate to post.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 AM

95 posts, read 456,009 times
FWD vehicles will be fine. I've never driven in the snow in an AWD/4WD vehicle and I've always made it home safely. The trick is to not drive like an idiot. Go at your own pace and use the right tires.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:29 AM

92 posts, read 445,725 times
I would say if you are going to be living in Indy, FWD will be fine for you. I live up in NE Indiana in the country and work as an RN in a local hospital. I have to get to work, no matter what so I do have 4WD. Came in very handy this past February when we had the near blizzard. I picked up a co-worker of mine on the way. My husband insists that we have a 4WD for me to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana