Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,527 times

Advertisements

Need advice driving from north suburb of Chicago to Nashville. Leaving this Sat Jan 4. My concern is how will roads be on I65 starting around Chgo Skyway in to northern IN. Hearing more substantial lake effect snow will hit Thur into Thur night, will the roads be in good driving condition by Sat? Also is there alot of blowing snow that will hit I65 in barren farm areas? Should I plan a different route? IF so what route?
Thanks to all that answer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,455,964 times
Are you traveling to Nashville, TN or Nashville, IN? Either way 65 is probably the best option time-wise. I-65 can be dicey even a few days after a snow. They get the road cleared relatively quickly, but I-65 is pretty infamous for blowing snow conditions and whiteouts, even a few days after a snow. We're not expecting as much snow farther south in Indiana so that will help.

Google maps shows a few other routes. My H used to take 41 up to the Chicago area. He liked it, but I hated it. I suspect whiteouts would be less of an issue though. It's been awhile since I took that route so I don't recall if there were lots of open areas.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the reply good info!!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Im traveling to Nashville TN

Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,305,004 times
Check out INDOT TrafficWise. You can see cameras along I-65 on northwest Indiana around Gary, Hammond, Crown Point. You can see cameras all along I-65 through Indianapolis, and there's a link to Indiana Travel Conditions which will tell you if it's wet or snow covered or dry all the way across Indiana. This is probably going to be your best source to use. A big snowstorm is supposedly coming for us Saturday night into Sunday so hopefully you aren't traveling back until at least Tuesday!

INDOT: TrafficWise

Old 01-02-2014, 05:14 PM

2,794 posts, read 6,163,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Check out INDOT TrafficWise. You can see cameras along I-65 on northwest Indiana around Gary, Hammond, Crown Point. You can see cameras all along I-65 through Indianapolis, and there's a link to Indiana Travel Conditions which will tell you if it's wet or snow covered or dry all the way across Indiana. This is probably going to be your best source to use. A big snowstorm is supposedly coming for us Saturday night into Sunday so hopefully you aren't traveling back until at least Tuesday!

INDOT: TrafficWise
she said that she was traveling Saturday, January 4

Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,858,977 times
I think by Saturday, it should be ok. It's Sunday that's going to really … ahem … blow.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:12 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,305,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
she said that she was traveling Saturday, January 4
Yes, but it's not supposed to get bad until Saturday night so if they are to Nashville by then, they should be fine.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Hi everyone Thank you for your responses. The trip went well I65 was dry a few areas of blowing snow but nothing to worry about. The scariest thing was my college age boy driving too fast !! But all in all it was a good trip so thanks to all of you for your help. Yes I was on Facebook with Indiana Department of Transportation good site for recent updated info and also
Indot CarmeraWise is also very good to look at before a road trip. Thanks all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana