Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 24,610 times

Advertisements

Anyone here live within the town of Nashville, IN? What's it like to actually live there? My wife and I visit there 5-6 times a year, and love it. Visiting a place can be a lot different than living there. Are there jobs in town?

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM

369 posts, read 682,445 times
I don't know anyone who ever lived in Nashville, and the town is so small, you likely won't have much luck finding someone who does. What I can tell you is this:

#1: My college anthropology teacher, from the late 90s, worked at IU. She taught at both IU Bloomington and IUPUI. She told us that her and her husband purchased a wooded lot somewhere in Brown County, and had it cleared (at least enough to build a home), and that is where they lived. She said she liked it down there.

#2: A distant family acquaintance moved down there for retirement. Not sure what he did full-time, but I know on the side he ran one of those fair/festival food booths. I guess he moved down close to Gnaw Bone, and he either opened (or tried) a shop down there, or something to that effect.

#3: The guy who seals my driveway lives down in Brown County, close to the Columbus exit (SR 46). That guy must have to go where the work is, because we are about 45 mins. away from his address and that is with no traffic (east side of Indy).

So basically, everyone I ever knew to actually live down in Brown County was either retired (likely with a pension), or seems to have to be willing to travel for work. I just visited a few weekends ago, and I myself wouldn't mind living there. Jobs are scarce, and running a trinket shop in this economy would seem risky. The jobs in the state park, if you can even get one, usually don't pay very much at all. In the future, maybe we might move down there. It really wouldn't be that bad of a drive to Indy if you drive over to I-65 (or soon I-69) and go the interstate. If feel that Brown County would be a "mountain" type feel, but allow me to stay much closer to family than say E. Tenn. or NW Montana.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM

137 posts, read 400,758 times
I grew up in Columbus, only about 20 miles from Nashville and spent a lot of my life playing and visiting Brown County (a lot of family in the area as well). I would agree, most people that live in the Nashville area either, commute to work (Indy, Columbus, Bloomington), are retired, or own a small business (art gallery, restaurant, shop, bed and breakfast, etc.). It has a fairly liberal base (artist, etc.) with small town politics. There is an IGA food store, true value hardware, but most of your shopping will be in Columbus or Bloomington. Home prices are elevated do to it scenery and lack of housing options. There is also several mansions out in the hill country with owners from Chicago. Outdoor activities are numerous and the setting is postcard perfect.

I think the big issue with Nashville is your willingness to live a laid-back lifestyle and deal with tourist.

I think plus for Nashville is its proximity to Columbus and Bloomington. Columbus has a nice cultural scene and some of the best architecture and public spaces in America. Bloomington gives you the college pluses (theater, sports, etc.) The three town's make a unique living opportunity with Nashville in the middle.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 PM

32 posts, read 89,645 times
It's in the middle of the most scenic part of Indiana, and because it is the gateway to Brown County State Park it is more expensive than the rest of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana