Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 26,989 times

Advertisements

What is the significance of the 50-75k people? If you are looking for small town living with big city amenities, then I think one of the many fine small cities that are within 10-20 miles of Fort Wayne would be a perfect fit. Like others have said, I would stay away from Noble and DeKalb county, as these areas have been heavily affected by crime.

However, small cities such as Ossian, Columbia City, Roanoke and Bluffton are just a short drive from Fort Wayne and are very conservative and offer great hunting. Columbia City is located just west of Fort Wayne and has a population of almost 10K and would offer plenty of fishing in any of the many lakes that occupy Whitley County. Lake front properties start at around $80k and some of the lakes are dedicated just to fishing, not allowing skiing. My family has had a place on Round Lake, which is part of the Tri-Lakes in Columbia City for over 60 years and is a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM

148 posts, read 459,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg14 View Post
i'm originally from nebraska.. i love nebraska.. and i go hunting in montana frequently, another great state.. what did i say that was so insulting? i was simply implying i love wide open spaces. but thank you for the information about lafayette
I'm rural Indiana and am probably politically different from you, but I think I understand what you're looking for. If you're seeking hunting and outdoors areas, I'd suggest you look somewhere around Greencastle. Just to the south of you there are a lot of state and national forests and lakes; there is good hunting and a strong hunting culture to the west of you nearer to Terre Haute; cost of living is low, and despite all the talk here about rural methheads, it's pretty safe.

Greencastle is about 45 minutes from the west side of Indianapolis, an easy commute; Terre Haute is about 30 minutes the other direction, and jobs aren't more scarce there, and the cost of living is also very reasonable there.

You might find Indiana on the whole to be slightly more 'blue' than Nebraska, but I'm sure there are plenty of like-minded people in Indiana. What you might be surprised to find is how densely-populated the state is, though. You really won't find many wide-open spaces here, at least compared to Nebraska.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
I've been reading the posts and I've been really thinking about it... I think the best place for you would be Whitestown.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 15,297 times
Default Indiana is divided

From about Martinsville south, you get a more southern more conservative
Christian friendly feel. You head anywhere near Indianapolis North and it's
a whole other story. It's like a whole other state. There might be come small town conservatives left, but it seems that it's just a different world.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 PM

14 posts, read 43,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Get a map of Indiana, tape off the NW (near Chicago) and central Indianapolis. Now....throw a dart.

Shazaam. Pretty much, there you go.

Columbus is ~45 minutes from B-ton just in case you think their progressiveness may somehow "rub off" on you.

Here, in Columbus, even our Democrats are pretty darned conservative. Just sayin.

Be warned that is the smaller, and yes more "conservative", towns here in the southern part of the state that cater to the meth labs. Probably just because there are not a lot of other ways to make money.

Good luck and best wishes with your choice.

I'm going to second this post! I think Evansville might be a good choice or maybe Kokomo? There are lots of places to enjoy your outdoor activities throughout Indiana and in fact I suggest you make a trip to them all (could take a couple of years depending on your frequency). Welcome to Indiana (just not NW or Indy)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana