Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,717,245 times

Advertisements

Try Columbia City,Roanoke or Auburn, all pretty little rural towns near Ft Wayne, but upstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,080,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why this sudden search for conservative this conservative that on forum?
Are a lot of people afraid of something? Is conservative code for white or Christian?
Likely because folks understand what big government is all about and in most cases, not all, conservative governments are smaller and not as large. Most folks don't want to deal with big bureaucracy and all the issues that come with it: Insider political jockeying, pay-to-play politics, oppressive taxation, red tape, politicians that will always win re-election based on their last name, skin color, religion, etc., hard to break the good 'ol boy network (and today good 'ol girl as well) when it comes to running for political office, etc..

Unless a person states specifically what they want, their specific desires in a location can't just be guessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Honestly, the hardcore conservative rural areas of Indiana are scary as hell. Meth heads/ druggies, fundies, peddies, racists, aggressive unkempt rednecks, etc...
I agree, liberal Indianapolis/Marion County is much better with crack addicts, pedophiles, rapists, Section 8 complexes galore, thousands of abandoned homes, some of the worse public schools, and homicide numbers that hit triple digits.

I'll take "hardcore conservative rural areas" over Haughville, Stringtown, or Brightwood any day.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 AM

4,672 posts, read 4,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Likely because folks understand what big government is all about and in most cases, not all, conservative governments are smaller and not as large. Most folks don't want to deal with big bureaucracy and all the issues that come with it: Insider political jockeying, pay-to-play politics, oppressive taxation, red tape, politicians that will always win re-election based on their last name, skin color, religion, etc., hard to break the good 'ol boy network (and today good 'ol girl as well) when it comes to running for political office, etc..

Unless a person states specifically what they want, their specific desires in a location can't just be guessed.

I agree, liberal Indianapolis/Marion County is much better with crack addicts, pedophiles, rapists, Section 8 complexes galore, thousands of abandoned homes, some of the worse public schools, and homicide numbers that hit triple digits. :rolleyes:

I'll take "hardcore conservative rural areas" over Haughville, Stringtown, or Brightwood any day.
Congratulations, you proved her point. I'll never understand why the hell people can't just say they prefer not to live around trash. I don't like to live around trash, either, I won't be offended. What does offend people is backpedaling from this statement and substituting some mumbo jumbo about government red tape and corruption. That stuff exists everywhere, and if you think it's the province of one party and not the other, you might try opening your eyes.

You still have to fill out complicated tax forms and wait in line at the DMV and all that crap if you live in the sticks, too. Incidentally, the DMV office in the Loop in Chicago is the most efficient, user-friendly one I've ever been in, by a mile.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,187,202 times
You know what's really funny is that conservative political philosophy has nothing to do with getting government out of our lives. That's Libertarianism, and it's the Libertarian wing of the Republican party that's firmly in control right now. People who say they're conservative and don't want big government are probably unaware they are mixing two different political philosophies.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
You know what's really funny is that conservative political philosophy has nothing to do with getting government out of our lives. That's Libertarianism, and it's the Libertarian wing of the Republican party that's firmly in control right now. People who say they're conservative and don't want big government are probably unaware they are mixing two different political philosophies.
I disagree wit hthe bolded statement. I think the libertarian wing WANTS to be in charge, BUT, it's the social conservative wing that's really in charge. But since the social conservatives also speak about limited government, it makes it appear that the libertarians are in charge.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,080,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Congratulations, you proved her point. I'll never understand why the hell people can't just say they prefer not to live around trash. I don't like to live around trash, either, I won't be offended. What does offend people is backpedaling from this statement and substituting some mumbo jumbo about government red tape and corruption. That stuff exists everywhere, and if you think it's the province of one party and not the other, you might try opening your eyes.
Trash is everywhere as well. I actually agree with the statement about racists, meth labs, etc. in more rural areas, which around here in Indiana usually lean right. The problem is more of quantity. The larger the government structure, the larger the amount of bureaucratic issues. Look at it this way, the more layers of government, the more rules, regulations, and taxes. I live 1/4 from a "municipality" which is classified as a small town. For some reason, if they annex our lots, our taxes will be higher? No, it isn't because of municipal water/sewer, I would end up paying separate bills on those things.

You will never escape trash, criminals, rules, regulations, taxes, etc., but you can limit your exposure to such, usually by living more rural-suburban, or straight out rural.

Quote:
People who say they're conservative and don't want big government are probably unaware they are mixing two different political philosophies.
Yup. Case in point: Carmel government. Spend, spend, spend. Not necessarily a bad thing, so long as they don't end up needing to raise taxes through the roof. The fact remains, there is likely a bunch of stuff that goes on in Carmel government that would make most folks pissed, but since their tax rates are likely the same, or a little above/below Marion County people, no one is going to complain. They pay the same taxes as nearby citizens, but live in an area with less crime and decent schools. Since they don't have all the social welfare needs, they are able to jack taxes and spend that money on roundabouts, redesigned downtown, etc..

I feel that conservative used to mean limited government. The word itself means to conserve, which to me means to minimize, but there are a lot of "conservative" Republicans who have never meet a tax hike they didn't like, or never passed up a chance to enlarge whatever local bureaucracy they work for.

The best example recent of "small Government" Republicans pushing for more government and taxes: Rapid transit. I've never seen so many elected leaders salivating at the idea that we need to raise taxes.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 AM

512 posts, read 862,177 times
Quote:
Very well said.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Honestly, the hardcore conservative rural areas of Indiana are scary as hell. Meth heads/ druggies, fundies, peddies, racists, aggressive unkempt rednecks, etc... The only conservative areas of Indiana that are halfway tolerable are the Fishers, Carmel, Northern Indianapolis areas. These conservatives tend to be fiscal conservatives minus all the freakish backwoods ideoology. Fort Wayne tends to be that way to an extent as well, but the population is like 5 times over your criteria.
I'm curious about your post. Have you lived in rural Indiana? I can see where a casual visit to any small town in any state would garner this conclusion because in my travels all over Indiana and other states I've had the same knee-jerk reaction. But I lived in a small town in TX which had this reputation, and I now live in a small town in SW Indiana which has never had the problems (public, anyway) that you describe. Both towns were conservative, but I never felt less than safe in either of them. We do not live in a new house or "the good part of town", but I still feel safe everywhere I go.

Also, I wonder where you're used to? For instance, the county I live in does have a meth problem, but it's on the other side of the county. So, if a person experiences problems in that small town they might assume it's all over the area.

Also, I'm interested in the "freakish backwoods ideology" comment. Are you referring to their conservative stance on guns and Christianity? That was my first assumption, but I wasn't sure.

BTW, in case you're wonderng, I'm not asking to then bash, I just am sincerely curious.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:34 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
I'm curious about your post. Have you lived in rural Indiana? I can see where a casual visit to any small town in any state would garner this conclusion because in my travels all over Indiana and other states I've had the same knee-jerk reaction. But I lived in a small town in TX which had this reputation, and I now live in a small town in SW Indiana which has never had the problems (public, anyway) that you describe. Both towns were conservative, but I never felt less than safe in either of them. We do not live in a new house or "the good part of town", but I still feel safe everywhere I go.

Also, I wonder where you're used to? For instance, the county I live in does have a meth problem, but it's on the other side of the county. So, if a person experiences problems in that small town they might assume it's all over the area.

Also, I'm interested in the "freakish backwoods ideology" comment. Are you referring to their conservative stance on guns and Christianity? That was my first assumption, but I wasn't sure.

BTW, in case you're wonderng, I'm not asking to then bash, I just am sincerely curious.
Yes, I live in a very conservative/ rural county in Indiana. We have a major drug problem here, in fact a recent drug raid netted 35 dealers in one night about a year ago. Half the residents here look completely strung out half the time.... When I say "freakish backwoods ideology" I'm talking about blatant racism everywhere (for example: people waving rebel flags outside the local high school football stadium when we play "the black school". Extreme homophobia (People CONSTANTLY asking if you are gay just because you dress nice, wear your hair a certain way, etc...) I'm not saying everyone is like that here, but good god.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, I live in a very conservative/ rural county in Indiana. We have a major drug problem here, in fact a recent drug raid netted 35 dealers in one night about a year ago. Half the residents here look completely strung out half the time.... When I say "freakish backwoods ideology" I'm talking about blatant racism everywhere (for example: people waving rebel flags outside the local high school football stadium when we play "the black school". Extreme homophobia (People CONSTANTLY asking if you are gay just because you dress nice, wear your hair a certain way, etc...) I'm not saying everyone is like that here, but good god.
The hardest thing about living in Texas was seeing the rebel flag fly. Yes, blatant racism is a "freakish backwoods ideology." I remember one year in high school (80's) a cross being burned on a high school campus down here, maybe Heritage Hills? I grew up in Evansville and racism was something I learned about through that one act, probably because I was raised to know that I wasn't different from anyone because of their color or creed. But I'll never forget the fear I felt after that cross-burning, fear of running into a person who had that much hate for a group. Hate is such a horrible thing.

I remember guys would get called gay if they wore green on Thursday. Never understood this. I had a couple friends who struggled with homosexuality in high school. It was brutal for them.

I totally see your points. And I think there are some towns which things like this are rampant. it's unfortunate that these traits are presumed to be found more predominantly in conservative places, because I believe they are all over. It's true that there are messed up conservatives out there, but there are also messed up liberals doing just as bad things. Hate and crime knows no political affilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana