Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,871 times

Advertisements

Don't go to Indiana! Move to Ohio or Kentucky. I've lived all over Indiana; Brownstown, Salem, Little York, Scottsburg, Muncie, West Lafayette. I was born and raised in Indiana and went to college at Purdue University. I knew it was bad but I never realized how bad it was until I left. Yes, everything in Indiana is less expensive than in California; but Ohio and Kentucky also have a low cost of living. The teachers and many others in Indiana are over-worked and under-paid. I don't have time to go into great detail; take my word for it stay away from IN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 01:15 AM

9 posts, read 31,318 times
I was reading about your move to Indiana, just wanted to know how that went? We have been planning to move since last year to the Indianapolis area (carmel, zionsville), our main reason for moving is the cost of living, good schools and overall quality of life. Please give us your input.
Thanks

Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
Don't go to Indiana! Move to Ohio or Kentucky. I've lived all over Indiana; Brownstown, Salem, Little York, Scottsburg, Muncie, West Lafayette. I was born and raised in Indiana and went to college at Purdue University. I knew it was bad but I never realized how bad it was until I left. Yes, everything in Indiana is less expensive than in California; but Ohio and Kentucky also have a low cost of living. The teachers and many others in Indiana are over-worked and under-paid. I don't have time to go into great detail; take my word for it stay away from IN.
Sounds like you've lived in all the wrong places and went to the wrong university I've lived in Indiana all my life and would never consider living anywhere else. (And yes, I've travelled to many other places and have close family in both Illinois and Ohio.) I've spent 23 years in Carmel, 4 in Bloomington, 6 in Sheridan, and the past 3 in Fishers.

My mom and stepdad are both retired teachers from Carmel High School, and they have enjoyed a very comfortable living teaching in this State. Sure, there's room for improvement, but that's true anywhere.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 23,987 times
I just moved FROM Indiana TO California two years ago. LA area. Did it for a job and a girl. I can definately understand why you'd want to get out of CA.

As for a small town close to the city, I HIGHLY suggest Valparaiso, IN. Thats where I grew up. Decent small safe town. Great schools and decent folks.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,636 times
A friend of mine moved from Indiana to LA a year ago, and I think she's struggling too, although she's too stubborn to ever admit it. What do you miss the most?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
A lot of movers find out what I did when we tried NC: No matter where you go, you dont know what is around the next corner. You drive with a map and a prayer. Some are more curious and adventurous but I found I missed the knowledge of the area, its history, my place in it and the comfort.

We are also low cost, less flashy, slower to change.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
We're a family of four living in Northern California, about 70 miles north of San Francisco.

Our goal is to leave California within the next few years. I won't go into all the reasons we want to leave, I think anyone who has lived in California or has friends/relatives in Califonia has heard all of ad nauseum.

My wife is a 1st grade teacher and the kids are in grade school. I work for a software company. I'm hoping that I'll be able to telecommute to work; I am currently doing this 2-3 days per week anyway...what would another 2 days be? lol.

We're interested in the mid-west, specifically Indiana or Ohio as we've got family in PA that we'd like to be somewhat close to.

Currently our little town has a out 24,000 people. We'd like something along this size, that is not too close to the big cities while still being a manageable drive if needed.

What's good about Indiana? Is it better in the north, south, east or west of the state? What gotchas might there be?
there are pros and cons no matter where you move to in indiana the north is crowded due to close proximity to chicago the south is mainly rural exept areas around evansville and louisville the west is all rural very bad place in winter as most roads are closed to outsiders i would say the central part of the state is the best esp. hendricks county a up and coming area with low crime, great schools(all 7 districts are great) winters arent so bad there are more snow plows here than im most areas, home prices are going up in avon but the rest of the area is about average $90-$225,000 except avon and willow point in plainfield $500,000-$1.5m you will find hendricks county to be a great place to live and raise your children. hendricks county has 2 major hospitals with trauma centers and 4 full time medical centers that will treat just about anything that is outpatient, great road system, traffic will pile up in the eastern townships for both rush hours and on saturdays in plainfield but it is not bad, you are never to far from anything 3 meijer supercenters, 4 walmart supercenters and 1 super target with 45 check out lines, and 5 krogers, about 15-30 major shopping areas in the county mainly in plainfield and avon, plainfield is easy to navigate once you know the area, plainfield is the neighbor of indianapolis international airport so there is alot of foreigners in the area the are very nice, and lots of 3-5 star hotels in the area to i think that just about covers it if you have any more questions email me at joerbgh@yahoo.com

Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,567 times
Unhappy Do NOT buy in Marion County/Indianapolis

If you must move to Indiana then do not Buy any house in Marion County/Indianapolis. Their property taxes are going through the roof.
Instead, rent. Wait and see. Maybe the politicians will straighten out this mess. I wish that they had Prop 13 in Indiana like they do in CA.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,546 times
Red face Noblesville for Me

I am pushing for Noblesville. I can get to the airport in less than an hour and to downtown in about 35 - 45 minutes during rush hour with a toothache. My dentist in in the AUL building. Stay off of 465 and keep with 69 / Binford /Fall Creek and you will have a smooth ride most days. The schools in Noblesville are why we moved. Great school, White River Elementary is just wonderful as is Our Lady of Grace Catholic school and White River Christian school. We have had no problems with crime or noise or traffic and can't even begin to participate in all the wonderful activities for the kids. Summer camps at the local parks run $35 per week per kid, likewise for T-ball and Pee wee football. Ballet is cheap and the living is easy. We have Meijer and Super Wal-Mart as well as Marsh and Kroger. Also, when looking for your house don't forget craig's List and Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information you can find great deals on wonderful houses. $225000 will get you a great 4 bedroom with 2.5 baths and lots of extras with large yard with fence etc. check it out and good luck. Hope to see you at the local PTA this fall

Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 13,878 times
Smile Two cents worth on Indiana

Yes, about culture shock from the hustle and bustle of CA to laid back lifestyle but great old world values and warm people, awesome housing with a real yard --- lawn you can mow during summer --- and cheaper in everything compared to CA.

I lived there for sometime and regrets coming over to CA. Yes, check out Greenwood, Franklin or even Shelbyville since you are not hot about being in or near a big city. Bloominton is a typical university town with nice scenery and rich cultural activities if that is what you want.

You will love Indiana since you are getting burnt out in CA (no pun intended). Yes, Brown county is beautiful but that is farther from Indy. If your wife wants to teach there, she better check the possibilities of these counties' teaching job market though. That's the only possible problem since most parts of Indiana laid off teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana